XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #419
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
Hello, i just sold me e53 and picked up an E70 and thinking about doing this upgrade.
I have CCC with no nav, so does that mean i'm stuck using the Avin Gps antenna or does BMW prewire all the vehicles with a GPS antenna?
I bought the system for an e71 with 6.5 cic without gps.. I have installed it, but did not find a prewired oem gps connector behind the oem cic unit
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #420
mhkm
The Doctor
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2013 E70 X5M

Hey folks
I just installed the 8.1 version and all is well, no need for the aux wire , and screen is awesome, except that I get a no signal message on the screen when in reverse ( no video ). I took out the unit again and checked all connections, they seem secure.
My car came with the factory camera.
Any suggestions?
      02-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #421
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkm View Post
Hey folks
I just installed the 8.1 version and all is well, no need for the aux wire , and screen is awesome, except that I get a no signal message on the screen when in reverse ( no video ). I took out the unit again and checked all connections, they seem secure.
My car came with the factory camera.
Any suggestions?
Did you go into the menu and select factory camera?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #422
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone go from 7.1 to 8.1? Difference? Still laggy?
Appreciate 1
mhkm13.50
      02-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #423
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
The car play feature does not work right. It seems as if it is having a buffering issue. I can use iTunes and Waze without a hitch in the android system (8.1 Oreo) but as soon as I connect through the adapter and run it through Car Play, everything constantly chops. Sound quality is generally poor (popping sounds) and the nav is always playing catch up.

AVINUSA offers a SD Card with SWAPFILE installed which allows you to use it as extra RAM, but it shows it as unavailable.

I read that I could root the system, install an SD card and run it as RAM but apparently there isnt a way to root 8.1 yet. (anyone know?)

If anyone has any ideas that I could pursue, I would seriously appreciate it. I only bought it to use it for Car Play and it is the one thing that is not working. Otherwise, everything works. It has its quirks, but it works.

02-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #424
mhkm
The Doctor
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2013 E70 X5M

Thanks for the heads up pearl power. My bad, fixed it right away.
Forgive my newbie-ness but how can I access the factory settings menu to set my correct monitor size? I tried the settings icon on the android screen but I found no place to enter the 1314 code? :
Thanks again
      02-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #425
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkm View Post
Thanks for the heads up pearl power. My bad, fixed it right away.
Forgive my newbie-ness but how can I access the factory settings menu to set my correct monitor size? I tried the settings icon on the android screen but I found no place to enter the 1314 code? :
Thanks again
When you go to the settings screen, scroll to the bottom. Click on system info and it opens the keypad. Enter 1314 and you will see it.
      02-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #426
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For those that do not know, AVINUSA has created a support page. Seems they are still trying to polish it up some, but it appears to be active. I have received responses to questions already. I have not tried the suggestions yet, but its a start.

https://support.avinusa.com
      02-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #427
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Von Otto View Post
For those that do not know, AVINUSA has created a support page. Seems they are still trying to polish it up some, but it appears to be active. I have received responses to questions already. I have not tried the suggestions yet, but its a start.

It's about time. They ignore their dealers emails, then changed their terms of service so dealers now have to order thousands of dollars in product as a minimum.

Aliexpress was a much better experience for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #428
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Quote:

Any thoughts on the suggestions?

I have the same audio problem through carplay as your videos.

Which version do you have? I'm wondering if upgrading to 8.1 will solve this.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #429
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am seeing several of these 8.1 units on AliBaba. I might bite to see if there are any improvements over my 7.1 unit which lags at times.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #430
klwill1192
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
Aliexpress was a much better experience for me.
Which unit did you get from AliExpress?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #431
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

For what it is worth, Ebay is running a 10% back on tech, and several of these 8.1 units qualify, so $52-$60 back off the sell price.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #432
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

I am going to keep watching this thread. I am HIGHLY intrigued and yet bothered by the "issues". One would think they could get to a non-buggy version at some point.

Car Play is the goal.

2012 X5 50i Premium Sound with Nav, Camera and radar...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #433
IN-FLT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post
I am going to keep watching this thread. I am HIGHLY intrigued and yet bothered by the "issues". One would think they could get to a non-buggy version at some point.

Car Play is the goal.

Ditto this... looking into this but waiting til it's been well sorted to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #434
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post

Car Play is the goal.

I have owned a few of these Android units for various cars (Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Porsche) and none have been bug free. I know that is not what folks want to read, but sadly, they all have baggage.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #435
IN-FLT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
I have owned a few of these Android units for various cars (Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Porsche) and none have been bug free. I know that is not what folks want to read, but sadly, they all have baggage.

Is the experience worth the baggage?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #436
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

I have bluetooth streaming, nav, backup and 360 view cameras in my x5d. I only listen to satellite radio and mp3s from the iPod classic. will I have any audio issues?

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #437
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-FLT View Post
Is the experience worth the baggage?
Good question, most of the time, yes. For the E70, not as much as the older cars which had outdated head units. My screen in the E70 was experiencing the typical blinking screen so it was an easy decision. Really, to me, the screen size is the biggest advantage. The Android OS is just clunky on the unit (not silky smooth like my Android phones). For whatever reason there is no mic/voice option in the Youtube app on the unit, yet is there on my Android devices. I also wish the iDrive controller was more involved with the integration such as entering text.

I did buy a 8.1 unit off of Aliexpress, $395 shipped to me. Will post up any obvious differences between my current 7.1 and the 8.1.

Last edited by pearlpower; 03-05-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #438
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfox23 View Post
Any thoughts on the suggestions?

I have the same audio problem through carplay as your videos.

Which version do you have? I'm wondering if upgrading to 8.1 will solve this.
I have the 8.1 and it is doing it. I tried a few things as I wanted to full trouble shoot before going back to them again as every work ticket I have submitted has been wiped out and every time I log in there is nothing there as if there has not been a history of Troubleshooting with me.

- Tried several different cables to include using OEM Apple cables and some of the more high end cables with the chips in them. Nothing.
- Upgraded my phone connectivity. I had unlimited but it wasn't the top tier one and was throttled in high density areas. Figured that could be the case but I have had the iPhone X since it came out with that data plan and driven about 6 different rentals in the time withe CarPlay and never experienced the issue. My wife has a new Ford Explorer Sport that has the Sync3 in it and I drive it on occasion and neither one of us has ever had a problem. But I thought it couldn't hurt to eliminate that issue. Nope. Still choppy.
- I kept it on the iTunes screen while Waze ran in the background. The entire drive, it worked fine. I only use it for the notifications on my daily commute so I would still get the vocal warnings. I tried it on the way home and again, no issues.
- For the last week, I drove with the iTunes screen on and Waze in the background and it has worked fine which leads me to believe that the AVINUSA unit does not have the RAM or CPU power to run the program AND play music.

I feel the CPU may work fine but the RAM does not have the capability to write fast enough and it causes the delay. E.g., you take a right turn and Waze has you still at the intersection for 3-10 seconds longer until it snaps back into current location.

I installed a 128gb MicroSD card which is showing 119gb free. The unit sees it but does not allow me to use it as available RAM. I have researched extensively trying to find a way to use the SWAP file but apparently it is not yet available for the 8.1 yet.

I tried the Kingroot program but it fails at 90%. Then states I need to use the desktop version. Would it even be possible to remove it and connect it to a computer or is there any way to connect it via the USB in the car?

Looking for help here. The whole purpose for the purchase was to use the Waze and iTunes together but with iTunes in the background not the Waze. :

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 03-09-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
pjfox2336.00
      03-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #439
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Quote:
I have the 8.1 and it is doing it.
Good to know. Thank you.

I was thinking it's the network, too. Glad you tried that option.

I was also thinking of installing Waze on the device itself and using the factoyr Y-cable audio pass. I'll at least have steering wheel controls that way, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #440
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfox23 View Post
Good to know. Thank you.

I was thinking it's the network, too. Glad you tried that option.

I was also thinking of installing Waze on the device itself and using the factoyr Y-cable audio pass. I'll at least have steering wheel controls that way, too.
I went that route for a few days as well. It gets annoying because there isn't a memory on this device and every time you get in the car you have to go through a start-up regime of selecting everything to start on the AVINUSA unit. And in my case, I had to turn on the hotspot on my iPhone as well. Waze also displays differently and is not as user friendly as the CarPlay version is. I got tired of messing with that method and went back to trying to figure out the CarPlay again. AND, I was still unable to utilize the steering controls with the exception of the volume.

Again, looking for some input if anyone has been able to Root the 8.1 yet and some help with that.