XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #23
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I bought 2013 X5M in December of 2015 with 35k miles still with factory warranty, by the May of 2016 my factory warranty was about to expire and I bought BMW extended warranty plan for $5000 until 100k miles or 5 years I believe. about 3 weeks ago I hit 100k miles so no more warranty for me and I'm not sure I'll be able to source one at this mileage even though the year of the car somewhat new.

Maybe I got lucky but I didn't have to file a single claim as I didn't experienced any major issues. The "minor" issues I had were not covered such as suspension components (ball joints) and front shocks which were aftermarket so no surprise.

From this point on I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Instead of gambling on luck, I would advise you to trade it in and get a more recent model.

Get out of it while the going is good and you get a good trade-in value.
I appreciate u suggestion but here few points:
1. I'm still paying for it and as usual with value I'm upside down at the moment, I'm at 50% paid
2. I love the car and as I already mentioned I didn't have any major issues with it, it doesn't mean I won't have any in the future but so far so good.
3. I put so much in to the car, mods wise so I will def not recap it not that I'm planning it but it would be nice to enjoy it some more!
4. I'm driving M so the next logic step will be jumping to F85 as F95 won't be available for couple more years as I don't see myself going back to 35i. It's still very expensive and not without issues.
My buddy has 2018 F85 and its been problematic, he had it more time at the shop since April of this year then I had mine in 3 years!

Once again, good advice but I'm not quite there yet!
Still keeping my fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #24
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
I bought 2013 X5M in December of 2015 with 35k miles still with factory warranty, by the May of 2016 my factory warranty was about to expire and I bought BMW extended warranty plan for $5000 until 100k miles or 5 years I believe. about 3 weeks ago I hit 100k miles so no more warranty for me and I'm not sure I'll be able to source one at this mileage even though the year of the car somewhat new.

Maybe I got lucky but I didn't have to file a single claim as I didn't experienced any major issues. The "minor" issues I had were not covered such as suspension components (ball joints) and front shocks which were aftermarket so no surprise.

From this point on I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
You are lucky to not have any major repairs as all others had some or other issues with x5m. I had to pay 4500 for air suspension repair at a dealership
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #25
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
You are lucky to not have any major repairs as all others had some or other issues with x5m. I had to pay 4500 for air suspension repair at a dealership
lucky is not exactly how I would explain it!
as far as air suspension I paid couple hundreds for the parts and replaced it myself...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
lucky is not exactly how I would explain it!
as far as air suspension I paid couple hundreds for the parts and replaced it myself...
Yeah I know the dealership are not the places to visit to maintain this car.. do you have any idea about how much it cost to change the differential fluid for front and rear
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #27
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah I know the dealership are not the places to visit to maintain this car.. do you have any idea about how much it cost to change the differential fluid for front and rear
obviously

I haven't changed differential fluid yet, was thinking on doing it in the spring but that in case if I still have this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #28
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
obviously

I haven't changed differential fluid yet, was thinking on doing it in the spring but that in case if I still have this car.
I paid 490 CAD at an Indy shop but then it includes 13% HST. He picked up the OEM BMW fluid from the dealership so there was no scope of saving and charged 120 which was included in the price . He said these cars are picky about diff fluids.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Carchex just resells other companies warranties. So, I got one with American Auto shield (the actual warranty company that carchex just resells) for $4K for 3 years, 36K miles, top of the line for my 2010 X5M. But, people have mentioned that they are trying to trick you essentially into buying it, and when making a claim, they will try to deny it every time. But, I will soon find out as I'm making a claim shortly. Luckily it is cancellable, so they can make some money off of everyone. We'll see what happens....
Well, I have good news. American Auto shield is legitimate. They covered my claims for brakes, and suspension failures on my X5M. More details to come...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #30
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Well, I have good news. American Auto shield is legitimate. They covered my claims for brakes, and suspension failures on my X5M. More details to come...
The bill came to $3500, for the handbrake actuator replacmeent, and front thrust bushing replacement, as they were totally gone. I had to pay $500 which had to do with programming, tax, deductible, and some non-covered bolts. So, I think the warranty is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #31
t3323
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Great news - thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #32
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I would highly recommend an extended warranty on an bmw v8 x5. Both of mine have been extremely expensive to keep repaired.

I have an autonation gold 3/36 extended warranty with a 100 disappearing deductible. I have a 2011 x5m which when purchased had 40k miles. Since purchase in March of 2017. I’ve had the following repairs covered,

Alternator replacement (including tow car was dead on side of road)
Turbo oil block seal
Rear main seal
Valve cover seals
Manifold pressure sensor (car in limp dick mode)
Turbo oil lines
Pcv vent lines

Paid out of pocket for
Filtered air ducts
Battery (killed by alternator)

The total for those repairs at the dealer has been about 12k all covered by the extended warranty. The filter air ducts and battery are not included.

I still have a leaking oil pan gasket. None of these were an issue when I bought the car and had it inspected. All of these numerous oil leaks have cropped up in the last year of ownership.

Rear main seal is very common in the x5m. In fact all of these issues are if you look,

I paid 3500 + 300 in deductibles for 3x in coverage. Good investment if you ask me. Especially since the stealer warranties all repairs for an additional 2/24.
What is your current mileage, I bought one in feb 2017 with 63 k miles and now i am at 77 k . Had to get the following done :

Filtered air duct
Vacuum pump
Evan core
Air supsension

Luckily my warranty also covered these repairs
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #33
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:

Luckily my warranty also covered these repairs
What warranty co do you have?

Quote:
So, I think the warranty is worth it.
what co?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
Guys and Girls, just got a quote from Autonation for their exclusionary, best warranty for $6000.00 for 5 years/48K miles.

Thoughts on Autonation's warranty?
Can you buy Autonation's warranty if car's bought some where else?

Quote:
So Autonation's warranty is actually Red Shield Premier plus exclusionary. Any feedback please?
Any feedback?

Guys,

Any other warranty companies you all have heard of? what about Autopom?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 01:12 AM   #34
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List

YES. i got a quote from them for a car I plan on buying from a private party.

Any feedback?

Guys,

Any other warranty companies you all have heard of? what about Autopom?[/QUOTE]

I've heard of Assurant and feedback is good. No idea where you get them. I plan on calling them to ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #35
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

YES. i got a quote from them for a car I plan on buying from a private party.

Any feedback?

Guys,

Any other warranty companies you all have heard of? what about Autopom?
I've heard of Assurant and feedback is good. No idea where you get them. I plan on calling them to ask.[/QUOTE]

I have exclusionary warranty from Autopom. They have paid over 10 k in repair and I am covered until 2021
Appreciate 0