XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
marleymilo
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d se

Question Warning Lights on start up

Hi all, I keep getting warning lights saying rear brake light failure or rear fog light failure, but having checked them they are fine, I take it there is some sort of sensor that is giving these faults? Is it something that can rectified?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymilo View Post
Hi all, I keep getting warning lights saying rear brake light failure or rear fog light failure, but having checked them they are fine, I take it there is some sort of sensor that is giving these faults? Is it something that can rectified?
I received this when I first bought my X5M... it was caused by aftermarket LED bulbs the previous owner installed. Installed stockers and the errors went away. Do you happen to have aftermarket bulbs of some sort in there?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:07 AM   #3
marleymilo
Rep

Hi, I don't have after market bulbs in, the errors keep saying rear brake light failure and rear fog light failure, but they are fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Hi, I don't have after market bulbs in, the errors keep saying rear brake light failure and rear fog light failure, but they are fine.
This used to be a common failure on my E36 M3...matter of fact across the whole E36 platform. The brake pedal switch would go bad and display the message...even if the lights were working. Honestly, I don't even know if the E70 has that part but may be something worth looking into.

Have you checked your fuses?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
marleymilo
Rep

Hi, i'll check to see has similar brake pedal switch, fuses are fine.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...I keep getting warning lights saying rear brake light failure or rear fog light failure, but having checked them they are fine ...
Quote:
You've told us "they are fine" twice...but it really doesn't paint the picture as to what you checked and how you checked it...which makes it a vague/unclear statement. To you...it is very understandable what you checked because you were there...we are not, so we can only see what you give in specifics or details.

Does "they are fine" mean that you physically opened the cover and undid both the brake and rear fog light bulbs to see if they are physically okay and don't have a burnt out filament or loose filament (if it is one of the incandescent bulbs)...or if there is arching/pitting on the contact points?

Or does "they are fine" mean that you looked at the tail light assembly from the exterior with the lights turned on and someone possible pressing the brake pedal to see if the bulbs illuminate?

Or does it mean you or someone was standing or following behind the vehicle and looked to see what was going on when you press the brakes or turn the rear fog lights on? If yes, did this include the 3rd (hi mount) brake light...or since the rear fog light warning comes up...the dynamic braking light bulb which comes on under extreme braking conditions (this would be the rear fog light if you don't have the rear fog light button on your headlight switch).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #7
marleymilo
Rep

Bulbs

The bulbs illuminate as they should(where I have said they are fine), one of the bulb holders inside the assembly seemed to have rotted, so I purchased some new ones and replaced, but I still get the warning errors saying brake/fog light failure
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:55 AM   #8
marleymilo
Rep

Also to add, they are 'fine' if looking from the outside, so all the lights(brake, fog, high tailgate and normal lights all illuminate as they should), have replaced all the bulb holders inside the assemblies on both sides
Appreciate 0