XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
M4drift
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 MPE, DCT, Carbon galore

Old question but new tires on the market, looking for advice on NON-RFT tires please.

Hello everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller. Actually I come from the F82 side but recently scooped up an X6M for cargo and cold weather.

I know that tires have been discussed on and off for years as far as Non Run Flat options but all the threads I'm finding are from years ago when I search. A lot are discussing the Continental DWS and DWS 06 versus the factory Duellers but there are newer tires on the market and I am looking for opinions on what direction to go in.

What I gather about the DWS 06 and DWS is that the ride is quieter and softer but the handling is subpar due to weaker sidewall and also the look is far less aggressive compared to the Duelers. I don't however see anyone mention the Continental Extreme Contact Sport, it looks to be lighter and more performance oriented. Does anyone run them and if so what are your thoughts?

I want the wide sexy look of the large rubber I'm paying for, I want the ride quality of a non run flat, but I don't want any loss in performance, rather I want a lighter tire to perform as it should with less unsprung weight in the turns. If I get 10-15K out of them a year I'm good with that but more isn't bad either.

Open to any and all suggestions and your personal experiences with various tires.

Thanks very much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
M4drift
Private
Rep

Hmm had hoped for a bit more feedback, perhaps it's an old model/new model scenario. Like owning an E92 but then the F80 comes out and everyone is pumped to discuss all the options and possibilities and the E92 forum turns from a roar of information and participation to crickets.

I know the newer X6m platform comes with a different sized set of rubber so that doesn't help me pick a new set based on what's being discussed there.

IF anyone has any feedback I'm all ears/eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
jaitoon
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Non-Run flats for BMW X6

Consider the Michelin Sport A/S 3+ these are ultra high performance.
These are highly rated by two independent organization - Consumer Reports and Tire Rack. I bought 4 to replace OEM run flats on my BMW X6 50i. These have stiffer side walls than than the Continental DWS 06.

I have had them on only for about 100 miles and the ride is smooth, quiet and these tire grip the road. I am hoping to get some good mileage out of these and they are rated for at least 186 mph
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
M4drift
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaitoon View Post
Consider the Michelin Sport A/S 3+ these are ultra high performance.
These are highly rated by two independent organization - Consumer Reports and Tire Rack. I bought 4 to replace OEM run flats on my BMW X6 50i. These have stiffer side walls than than the Continental DWS 06.

I have had them on only for about 100 miles and the ride is smooth, quiet and these tire grip the road. I am hoping to get some good mileage out of these and they are rated for at least 186 mph
Thanks for the reply.

I purchased a set of continental Extreme Contact DW's. Will put them on when the weather warms up a bit and report back. Great ratings though. It's been near 0 degrees here for a while and that tire is not rated for this type of cold. Have about 3-5K left on the current set of Run flats anyhow and will then swap and see how they compare.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Did you ^ go with RFT's or non RFT's? I need tires for my X5M and I am definitely buying the later for softer, grippier and less noisier ride.
Appreciate 0