XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #309
cals
cals
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535ix 2011

Garage List
2001 BMW E39  [0.00]
2004 BMW E60  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I know ppl who ordered from Avin directly and from Ali as well, as far as units goes its all the same, the firmware might be different but you want to upload latest one anyway, no matter where you getting your unit from. It might be little easier to get the firmware updates directly from Avin but there are other places where you can get them!

As far ar delivery timing goes if Avin in CA has the units in stock it will be delivered to you in Canada in few days, if not it might take little longer to arrive from China!

Also if you planning to get some additional accessories such as (GPS slitter, AUX slitter or extension) it might be easier to get them from Avin together with unit but you might find better deals and better quality for those accessories elsewhere (eBay or Ali)

Hope this helps
Thanks, it helps !
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #310
rodnex
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0si, E70 3.0d, E70 X5DUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_23 View Post
Thanks for the info. One more question: did you have to tap/splice into any stock wiring, or is this truly plug and play?
It is truly plug & play.
Everything can be turned back to stock within 10 minutes.

I have to admit... the Chinese did a good research on that system.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #311
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnex View Post
It is truly plug & play.
Everything can be turned back to stock within 10 minutes.

I have to admit... the Chinese did a good research on that system.
+1

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #312
DC_23
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, E70

Awesome. Ordering today!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #313
PsychoPhyr
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E70 X5M

I have had mine in for a few months now and have drawn some conclusions:

For a screen upgrade ALONE it's worth the asking price. Screen is way higher quality than the OEM unit and having it bigger and out from the dash is a big plus.

As an android head unit, it's awful. It's too slow to be useful for anything. I don't want to sit in my driveway while I'm waiting for the damn thing to load to be able to input something into Waze. (Which by the way never works the first 2 or 3 times you open it, and then crashes often)

The audio from the unit isn't the worst, but even the aux out is worse than the OEM Bluetooth and the AVIN Bluetooth is impressively bad. Spotify runs poorly on this device and the steering wheel controls only work sometimes for next/last track selection.

Am I happy with the device? Yes, but only if I completely ignore the Android side of it and pretend it's just a screen replacement.

I still have my phone sitting in a wireless charging dock to the left of the steering wheel for Waze.
      07-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #314
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoPhyr View Post

For a screen upgrade ALONE it's worth the asking price. Screen is way higher quality than the OEM unit and having it bigger and out from the dash is a big plus.

As an android head unit, it's awful. It's too slow to be useful for anything. I don't want to sit in my driveway while I'm waiting for the damn thing to load to be able to input something into Waze. (Which by the way never works the first 2 or 3 times you open it, and then crashes often)

The audio from the unit isn't the worst, but even the aux out is worse than the OEM Bluetooth and the AVIN Bluetooth is impressively bad. Spotify runs poorly on this device and the steering wheel controls only work sometimes for next/last track selection.

Am I happy with the device? Yes, but only if I completely ignore the Android side of it and pretend it's just a screen replacement.

I still have my phone sitting in a wireless charging dock to the left of the steering wheel for Waze.
Yes, I'm in the same camp. It's been months and android, carplay have fallen by the wayside b/c of the poor sound and intermittent connectivity. I wish I could reclaim my NAV button. Support was good for the first couple emails, but then they just gave up. Promises of fixes were inflated.
      07-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #315
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
damn you guys are making me second guess getting one now...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #316
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoPhyr View Post

even the screen is not worth it - for me most of the time it would freeze and leave me without any screen (especially if I need to park the car and have nothing till I restart the car/AVIN).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #317
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
even the screen is not worth it - for me most of the time it would freeze and leave me without any screen (especially if I need to park the car and have nothing till I restart the car/AVIN).
Thats really messed up. Im sticking with the OE CIC until i have enough cash to get an NBT EVO kit. Go OE or go home!
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #318
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
I didn't mention above, but the screen upgrade was worth it to me...I'm just sour I paid for an apple carplay paper weight, lol.
      07-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #319
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
I didn't mention above, but the screen upgrade was worth it to me...I'm just sour I paid for an apple carplay paper weight, lol.
For me that would be important as I really like apple car play.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #320
luti10
Registered
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 2007

backup camera issue

Dear friends!

I have installed mine AVINusa unit. (To my E70 3.0D 2007.)
I (almost) love it. Everything works, even sound without the armrest AUX. I have only problem - the OEM rear camera doesn't work. When I go reverse, android switch to original system and shows me an AUX settings. I can hear the PDS sound (beep beep), but I see nothing.
I wrote to AVIN - they suppose to update the MUI with the update.nbd file... I did it - but nothing changes.
Do anybody face similar issue?

Really thanks for any help... and sorry for my english... greetings from far far Czech Republic

Last edited by luti10; 08-07-2018 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: UPDATE: Problem solved! AVINusa send me a new MUI update file and it works. Backup camera is now OK. :)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #321
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luti10 View Post
Dear friends!

I have installed mine AVINusa unit. (To my E70 3.0D 2007.)
I (almost) love it. Everything works, even sound without the armrest AUX. I have only problem - the OEM rear camera doesn't work. When I go reverse, android switch to original system and shows me an AUX settings. I can hear the PDS sound (beep beep), but I see nothing.
I wrote to AVIN - they suppose to update the MUI with the update.nbd file... I did it - but nothing changes.
Do anybody face similar issue?

Really thanks for any help... and sorry for my english... greetings from far far Czech Republic

check u camera settings, I had the same issue when first installed the unit, I can't recall exactly the settings but you need to make sure that you camera settings are checked correctly. give it a try
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #322
charliemike100
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3, 2011 335d

Nav on Cars that Didn't Previously Have Nav

Hi and thanks for all the great writeups so far...

A couple of questions for those that have done it:

1. Has anyone hooked this up to a car that doesn't already have Navigation?

I'm considering picking one up for my wife's x3 that doesn't already have Nav and backup camera and am wondering - given some of the feedback,:

if I should purchase an upgraded OEM antenna that supports GPS and connect to that as it seems that the Avin GPS antenna is not up to par? Has anyone attempted to add an OEM Antenna with this system where they didn't already have NAV on the car?

Also, Does this include dynamic parking lines when connected to a backup camera?

Finally: I see lots of posts about connecting to your android phone for android auto, etc...Has anyone attempted to simply side load Android Auto to the Avin unit?

Thanks,

CM
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #323
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Anyone figure out how to change the boot logo image? There is no obvious option as in my E53 Android head unit. I emailed Avin and no answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #324
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Go into Settings, Factory Setup, enter 1314 as the password, then you'll see a startup screen option.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #325
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Go into Settings, Factory Setup, enter 1314 as the password, then you'll see a startup screen option.
Did that, no dice. There is no option to use another image beyond what is preloaded. It would also be nice to run split screen (Youtube & Waze).

Last edited by pearlpower; 09-30-2018 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #326
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Damm!!!! I really want one of these. But all these issues mentioned here are really putting me off, especially the fact that you have to use the aux in if you have CIC. What's with that?

I do admire the Chinese for doing what none of the Japanese electronic giants will even attempt. But they really need to sort the bugs out.

Is it possible that the screen could be used just for the BMW system alone? I mean, just connecting the factory monitor cables to the avin unit and nothing else. So I retain all the factory functions, but just have a bigger and better looking screen. This would be worth it for me. Anyone tried this?
      10-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #327
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakalika View Post
Damm!!!! I really want one of these. But all these issues mentioned here are really putting me off, especially the fact that you have to use the aux in if you have CIC. What's with that?

I do admire the Chinese for doing what none of the Japanese electronic giants will even attempt. But they really need to sort the bugs out.

Is it possible that the screen could be used just for the BMW system alone? I mean, just connecting the factory monitor cables to the avin unit and nothing else. So I retain all the factory functions, but just have a bigger and better looking screen. This would be worth it for me. Anyone tried this?
in couple of weeks its gonna be one year since I installed this unit and I was one of the first who tried it.

I can answer yes to all your questions:

1. Yes you can install the screen and still use OEM CIC functionality (with bigger and better screen)
2. You might need to connect to AUX for the sound (I did) it depends on your car's options (better optioned car probably will require AUX connection)
3. Most of the issues discussed were already resolved (they released couple of firmwares)
4. In my case, I use this unit mostly for Waze 99% of the time and the screen is awesome for that!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #328
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

What exactly is the AUX cord needed for? Im sure its mentioned in here somewhere but I dont see it. Is it to connect the headunit to the speakers so native sounds to the headunit can be heard? If I were to stick with OEM navigation, would I need this AUX cord to hear commands or no?
      10-03-2018, 07:10 AM   #329
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
What exactly is the AUX cord needed for? Im sure its mentioned in here somewhere but I dont see it. Is it to connect the headunit to the speakers so native sounds to the headunit can be heard? If I were to stick with OEM navigation, would I need this AUX cord to hear commands or no?
You only need to connect to the AUX (in central console) for sound which is coming out from the Android unit, all your original sounds (radio, navigation etc.,) are intact!
there is a additional speaker cable in that unit which u can connect to the speaker cable which will give you the Navigation voice (Waze, Google etc.,) from the new unit even if u don't connect AUX cable.

so all u current sounds are still there after the install of the new unit!

hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #330
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
You only need to connect to the AUX (in central console) for sound which is coming out from the Android unit, all your original sounds (radio, navigation etc.,) are intact!
there is a additional speaker cable in that unit which u can connect to the speaker cable which will give you the Navigation voice (Waze, Google etc.,) from the new unit even if u don't connect AUX cable.

so all u current sounds are still there after the install of the new unit!

hope this helps!
got it. thanks!