XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-10-2021, 01:07 AM   #199
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZHP 6sp + 2012 X5m

Hi All - So here are my two issues I'm experiencing post install. I'm separating this from my review above with hopes that somebody might have some insights.

1) When I press the “M” button on my steering wheel, the interface automatically goes back to the factory idrive. I then have to tap the screen to re-enter the android HU, and restart what ever app I was in. It’s a major issue as I often use the “M” button while driving. Any idea on the solution?

2). When I go into reverse, it also automatically exits the android head unit, and goes back to the factory idrive (as intended), but it cuts off whatever music I have on that was playing from CarPlay in Spotify. How do I keep the music playing while reversing?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #200
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

That's not too shabby, only a couple issues! I'm glad you are enjoying the sound, it's better to have expectations exceeded than the opposite. I never experienced that issue with the M button...which means there is likely a solution. You definitely want to clean out your aux in port with some compressed air and get a high quality aux cable.

I made some headway on the DACs and will start a whole new post in my build thread on the subject later this week. At the moment I can say that just plugging in a DAC, at least the first one I'm testing, doesn't make a tangible improvement in overall sound. But combined with the proper player app, I'm really impressed with music audio. More soon...
      03-10-2021, 12:10 PM   #201
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
That's not too shabby, only a couple issues! I'm glad you are enjoying the sound, it's better to have expectations exceeded than the opposite. I never experienced that issue with the M button...which means there is likely a solution. You definitely want to clean out your aux in port with some compressed air and get a high quality aux cable.

I made some headway on the DACs and will start a whole new post in my build thread on the subject later this week. At the moment I can say that just plugging in a DAC, at least the first one I'm testing, doesn't make a tangible improvement in overall sound. But combined with the proper player app, I'm really impressed with music audio. More soon...
I'm wrong, my M mode does same. Wow, I guess this is the first time I've tried M mode while on Android side. Will look into...
      03-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #202
argento
Captain
Rep

Ok, there is a solution to the M-Mode issue. I was in my car and posted it, but bad connection and it's not here. Going from memory...

HOME>Settings>Factory>enter passcode>Vehicle>M-Mode Key Selection: DISABLE
      03-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #203
argento
Captain
Rep

So today is one of those days where using the monitor is on the verge of great, but disappointing. I don't drive often, but today I was out for about 2 hours. I removed BMW BT from my phone and decided to do 100% android connected to the DAC I've been testing since the weekend.

Fair warning, this description may be VERY BORING to read...

Start up and backed out of the garage...Carplay didn't immediately connect, I get a notification that the android needs to use my phone's data, which is what I expect when I leave the confines of my home network. Carplay connects, hit Waze. I had searched my destination earlier in the morning, but it didn't show in the search list. I pulled over a couple blocks from my house, messed around found the destination in my phone, it's ready to go. NAV sound plays through the center dash and is tinny. I play around with music in CarPlay via Vox and music player, then switch to android monitor music library. Sound is good, but definitely lesser quality compared to when I was using the UAPP audio player app past couple days. I had to adjust the MEDIA volume b/c for some reason with the DAC it keeps resetting down to 30% of max. Ok it's working. Now I try the UAPP app to upgrade the sound. The app says it can't confirm my purchase, which requires more input, but I'm driving, so I exit out. Listen to carplay for about a minute and then no sound. I double check to make sure UAPP is closed, exited, etc. It's out, so why no sound. Thinking...minutes later...Nav sound hits with directions. AH, NAV sound works, good to know. Then music starts playing out of nowhere. I stop messing with it b/c I'm going to be waiting and want to listen to music while I wait. 20 minutes later...I decide to see if my M button does same as mentioned above. It does. Go through menus, solve the problem but find more settings (...factory>vehicle...) to add to my growing list of settings that affect android sound. [remembered: Tried to use Waze home just to test system, but it locked up within carplay. touch screen worked everywhere else, but waze map locked, SO that's why...] On the way home, switch to the OEM side for low maintenance, high quality, stored music, worry free.

SO, obviously this system is not perfect and today reminds me of other days with similar issues. Maybe if I keep working I can find a partial, but pleasant solution...

Last edited by argento; 03-11-2021 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #204
argento
Captain
Rep

Jon_G, which one of those is your default music player app? I believe mine came with WitsKswMedia...at least I don't recall downloading this app...
      03-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #205
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, there is a solution to the M-Mode issue. I was in my car and posted it, but bad connection and it's not here. Going from memory...

I just discovered this too, and was about to post, and then saw you posted it already too. Worked for me as well!

Your memory is correct. The exact path is android main menu > setting> factory > enter passcode > vehicle > mode key selection-select ‘disable’

I've been traveling the past few days and haven't had a chance to document much as a result. Been finding out there are definitely random issues popping up here and there. I'll write more on these later.

As for the reverse issue cutting out my music, guess what? Same solve... it's in settings. There is a "mute on reverse" setting that needs to be unchecked. If you do this, then it won't cut out the music each time you trigger the factory system backup camera.

Go to main menu > setting-system > uncheck the ‘mute while on reverse’

I've also noticed my 'climate settings" such as what level heated seat you are on, or ventilated seat setting, etc don't show up on screen when you press the button. This may be something in the settings too. I will look into it and update if I find a solution. This is a pretty big inconvenience too.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #206
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jon_G, which one of those is your default music player app? I believe mine came with WitsKswMedia...at least I don't recall downloading this app...
I have yet to play with any of the android apps. I assume thats what you're talking about, right? I believe the apps shown in that screenshot the other day are the only ones I have, but I'll check again when I'm in the truck later today. I have been using Spotify so far, and thats it. I plan to venture into other apps, including diving into the android world soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #207
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
I have yet to play with any of the android apps. I assume thats what you're talking about, right? I believe the apps shown in that screenshot the other day are the only ones I have, but I'll check again when I'm in the truck later today. I have been using Spotify so far, and thats it. I plan to venture into other apps, including diving into the android world soon.
The app I'm referring to will run in the background. It's what sends audio to the OEM AUX IN when you're not in Spotify. If you check factory settings, Function, scroll all the way down, what is LaunchMusicApp set to?
      03-17-2021, 10:56 PM   #208
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The app I'm referring to will run in the background. It's what sends audio to the OEM AUX IN when you're not in Spotify. If you check factory settings, Function, scroll all the way down, what is LaunchMusicApp set to?
Hey there - Sorry for the slow reply. I'm still traveling right now. A bit of vacation/work mix. I just checked, and it's WitsKswMedia, just as you suspected.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #209
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Hi All -Two questions I'm throwing out to see if anyone has thoughts or answers.

1) Does anyone here have issues with music skipping when streaming from apps like Spotify in their CarPlay experience? This seems to happen for me at random, it works fine for a while, then skips for a while every 10 seconds to 1 minute, and then gets better again with no issue. It impacts music that I'm streaming, or even music that is downloaded within Spotify—which I believe means it's not an internet streaming issue.

2) Has anyone been able to access their climate controls user interfaces (seat heat GUI, air direction, etc) while in the android environment? The 4x4 shop told me unfortunately it's not possible, which is quite frustrating, but I figure I'll poke around to see if anyone has come up with anything.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 03:14 PM   #210
argento
Captain
Rep

1. Yes. Random, no solution or cause yet. Let me add, the default music player of the android monitor is outputting sound at 96kHz. This could be a cause depending on your music library sampling rate. Check to see if Spotify has a setting to upsample at same rate and/or clear cache. I can only get 48k out of VOX. Also it may also be too many apps open drawing resources away from player.

[Update: after some more reading it appears AAC and Android don't perform well together, at worst unreliable performance. Your iPhone uses AAC exclusively. Ideally you want to match bluetooth codecs between your phone and the monitor...does anyone know what BT codec the monitor is using? Maybe there's a setting where we can select AAC if it's not already defaulted. To clarify, I don't know this is the cause, but I do know that ideally both devices should be on the same codec. We know it seems to work most of the time...I'd say I've been testing audio the past week and been in the car about 10-20 times and I've gotten skipping about 3-4 times.]

2. Haven't tried, but will report back...

Last edited by argento; 03-21-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #211
argento
Captain
Rep

Updates to the post I restarted on ANDROID MONITOR SOUND...

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27390678

FINAL: DAC SUMMARY...I considered the following DACS/equipment: FiiO Q5s, FiiO SBR5, Hagibis BT RT TX, Nuprime Hi-mDAC, AudioEngine D1, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red, and Cobalt. The AQ Dragonfly Red or Cobalt, coupled with UAPP, has shown me that we can achieve at least similar audio quality as the OEM side, depending on music source. The OPPO is not an ideal choice because it requires you to manually turn on/off and remove to charge. The FiiO Q5 requires you to manually turn on every time you enter the vehicle, but if you can get past this issue it will provide improved sound quality as well. I did not try the AudioEngine D1 I have on the bench b/c of the success I had with the Dragonfly series DACs. Based on the above results my personal choice is to use the AQ Dragonfly Cobalt with UAPP, OEM Bluetooth for calls, Waze for Navigation, and unlikely use of CarPlay.

Last edited by argento; 08-25-2021 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #212
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Has anyone with the 4x4 shop android unit NOT had the skipping issue when playing music from CarPlay apps like Spotify etc? This is the one issue I still have with my install, and it's quite frustrating as it seems to skip almost 1 in 3 times I drive. I can't figure out why it does on some drives, and other drives it's totally fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #213
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
Has anyone with the 4x4 shop android unit NOT had the skipping issue when playing music from CarPlay apps like Spotify etc? This is the one issue I still have with my install, and it's quite frustrating as it seems to skip almost 1 in 3 times I drive. I can't figure out why it does on some drives, and other drives it's totally fine.
Does clearing your cache help at all to reduce the frequency of skipping? I haven't worked on this problem yet. I've been testing DACs without my phone connected.
      04-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #214
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Speech recognition

I noticed for speech recognition in apps, only once in about 5 times does it pick up what I am saying. using the factory mic. Anyone run into this? Especially true with the YouTube app. And incidentally, anyway to remove those overly large pictures on the YT app?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:52 PM   #215
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does clearing your cache help at all to reduce the frequency of skipping? I haven't worked on this problem yet. I've been testing DACs without my phone connected.
Nope, unfortunately clearing the cache in spotify doesn't help. It was a very small cache amount too, only about 22mb.

I can also confirm that this issue isn't just spotify. I was able to reproduce the same issue streaming Apple Music. It sounds like a CD that is skipping, just like it did in spotify. It happens sometimes multiple times per minute, and then will go for 5-30 minutes without a skip, and then start skipping again. No rhyme or reason yet.

I can also update this seems to impact the music almost every time I drive now, with very few drives not being impacted.

I'm still working on trouble shooting it. I will update if I figure anything out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #216
argento
Captain
Rep

Sorry to hear this...

If you download the spotify app through google play on the monitor, do you still experience skipping? Or how about in another car? I've read lots of other examples of skipping in carplay, but no solutions yet.

I've not played audio via carplay extensively and skipping is only occasionally. With the great sounding DAC setup and my music library on the monitor, I'm no longer interested in the bluetooth encoded music via carplay.

FWIW, I just read this...? "The phone can stream fine on other devices so I knew Spotify was fine but it was an issue between the phone and the car. I have however since fixed the issue. It turns out that the other features sharing the Bluetooth bandwidth like sharing contacts and hands-free calling were the problem. They didn't leave enough bandwidth to effectively stream music so I unpaired the phone and radio and paired them again but this time answering NO to sharing contacts, messages, and turning off hands free calling. No more skipping!"

Also, just read the wireless carplay uses bluetooth to setup, but wifi for functionality...I'll have to look into this..

Last edited by argento; 04-13-2021 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #217
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear this...

If you download the spotify app through google play on the monitor, do you still experience skipping? Or how about in another car? I've read lots of other examples of skipping in carplay, but no solutions yet.

I've not played audio via carplay extensively and skipping is only occasionally. With the great sounding DAC setup and my music library on the monitor, I'm no longer interested in the bluetooth encoded music via carplay.

FWIW, I just read this...? "The phone can stream fine on other devices so I knew Spotify was fine but it was an issue between the phone and the car. I have however since fixed the issue. It turns out that the other features sharing the Bluetooth bandwidth like sharing contacts and hands-free calling were the problem. They didn't leave enough bandwidth to effectively stream music so I unpaired the phone and radio and paired them again but this time answering NO to sharing contacts, messages, and turning off hands free calling. No more skipping!"

Also, just read the wireless carplay uses bluetooth to setup, but wifi for functionality...I'll have to look into this..
While my streaming from spotify also works fine with other devices, I can confirm that wireless CarPlay uses Bluetooth to setup, and then just wifi after for functionality, so I don't think the bluetooth bandwidth has anything to do with it.

I just requested and received a firmware upgrade from the 4x4 shop and will try this weekend to see if it resolves the skipping, and I'll also try putting spotify on the android head unit through google play and see if that runs any better (this was my next test hypothesis also), although if it does work better it will only be a half solve as I would like to be able to use CarPlay as I prefer the UX better. Anyhow, I will update more soon. Fingers crossed the firmware does the trick as that would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:14 AM   #218
jackflyboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M E71

Quote:

Hi,

Please can anyone tell me the passcode for factory settings, trying to disable Home Screen when I push the M button.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #219
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackflyboy View Post
Quote:

Hi,

Please can anyone tell me the passcode for factory settings, trying to disable Home Screen when I push the M button.
Varies by mfg. who do you have? Should be on the box.

Some info below for Avin.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26513334
      05-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #220
jackflyboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M E71

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackflyboy View Post
Quote:

Hi,

Varies by mfg. who do you have? Should be on the box.

Some info below for Avin.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26513334
Thanks a lot. I messaged the seller on Alibaba and he's provided the info.
Appreciate 0