XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

I believe I need to re build my 4.4 N63

It started really loosing power and made some horrible sounds and then just shut off completely. I knew it was coming.. Dreaded leaking valve stem seals and not driving it very nice got me..

I've done some searching and didn't find and builds for this N63. It going to come all the way out and if I do it I'll do it right..

Anyone seen a build forum?
Appreciate 2
DJ///M533.00
TTV8M122.50
      06-09-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movado750 View Post
It started really loosing power and made some horrible sounds and then just shut off completely. I knew it was coming.. Dreaded leaking valve stem seals and not driving it very nice got me..

I've done some searching and didn't find and builds for this N63. It going to come all the way out and if I do it I'll do it right..

Anyone seen a build forum?
N63 shares same engine block (crank, connecting rods, cams, heads, etc) as the S63, only the pistons are different so build is going to be the same if you are interested in doing it yourself. Honestly though, unless you are going to do a 1000hp aftermarket forged build, I would just take advantage of the sale BMW has on replacement engines. Only 3K for a rebuilt (normally 16k). Will save you time and money. The picture is wrong on their site obviously but it's a complete engine with heads, you will need to swap over sensors/injectors/manifolds/turbos/etc from your engine. Good time to upgrade your injectors to index 12 if they have not been already.

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...002466937.html
Appreciate 1
TTV8M122.50
      06-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting, thanks for the info. Full engine swap for 3K. Worth looking into. But 1000 hp sound good also. Can the tranny take 1000 hp? Still have all my COVID money……
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the info. Full engine swap for 3K. Worth looking into. But 1000 hp sound good also. Can the tranny take 1000 hp? Still have all my COVID money……
1000hp will cost $$$$$, forged aftermarket connecting rods and Pistons are 4k alone, then machine work, port & polish heads, custom turbos, high flow hpfp's, intakes, custom exhaust, meth injection, custom tune, etc. Looking at 15k easy plus labor. Transmission will need rebuild with race frictions, 50i has first gen zf8hp70, unknown how long it will last at that power level. So if you got the cash go for it! Talk about a sleeper
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Maybe drop in an LS engine, 6l80 and holly EFI... Probably a ton more reliable too.

:-P
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      06-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Hmm, has anyone done a LS swap? Dumping 15k into a car that's only worth 15K tops, not a smart thing to do.

I could do $7k tops...

I've already got-
VRSF Stainless Steel Race Downpipes
Dinan exhaust
Dinan stage II tune
New coils
New plugs
New HPFP's

I'm open for suggestions....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #7
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
N63 shares same engine block (crank, connecting rods, cams, heads, etc) as the S63, only the pistons are different so build is going to be the same if you are interested in doing it yourself. Honestly though, unless you are going to do a 1000hp aftermarket forged build, I would just take advantage of the sale BMW has on replacement engines. Only 3K for a rebuilt (normally 16k). Will save you time and money. The picture is wrong on their site obviously but it's a complete engine with heads, you will need to swap over sensors/injectors/manifolds/turbos/etc from your engine. Good time to upgrade your injectors to index 12 if they have not been already.

I looked at the site and it did have a price, but now nothing weird...

could I just get M pistons ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, has anyone done a LS swap? Dumping 15k into a car that's only worth 15K tops, not a smart thing to do.

I could do $7k tops...

I've already got-
Dinan exhaust
Dinan stage II tune
New coils
New plugs
New HPFP's

If you dont need a full 1000hp, then just do a 600hp build, that last 400hp is where all the big money items come in (turbos, rods, pistons) The stock N63 will handle 600hp just fine as well as the transmission (assuming its in good shape, you don't need forged pistons for it but you will Always have to run octane booster with it as protection as with cast pistons, they will not take much knock before they break, even with meth injection so lifetime octane booster is necessary at this power level with the original n63 pistons. Its what I am running now and I have 170k Miles. 3.8 second 0-60 and 11.5 quarter miles is what you can expect.

You can do this for 7k: get the rebuilt engine, jb4, ngk 97506 plugs, meth injection (run 50/50meth/water), intakes. Tune to run 20-21psi. This is maxxing out the stock turbos but they will do it.

You should have enough left over to Also invest in wrapping your downpipes and headers and adding additional heat shielding and catch-cans.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Notices that too, call them up and see whats up.

You could assuming your engine is ok. If it seized however it will cost you more to repair then just buy rebuilt for 3k.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:

I could do $7k tops...

I've already got-
Dinan exhaust
Dinan stage II tune
New coils
New plugs
New HPFP's

10k would be if you went forced induction.

A 5.3 and a trans can be had around 3k on the highside, a 6.0 and trans under 4k. Of course labor if you cant do it…

I happen to be in a fb LSx truck group and im seeing just this swap in question now and it looks clean and stealth! I just need a way to post a picture of it when not on my phone…
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #11
Psychengineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I just recently bought a 2012 X5 50i (same motor as yours I believe), it ran fine but there was a bit of smoke I noticed, and it needed oil every other week, so I brought it into BMW of Ann Arbor and they said it's going to need an engine replacement. Paid $10k for the vehicle (in great shape), BMW wants $15k for the engine swap but they can only get a used engine with 60k on it. I'm told the seal replacement only lasts for about 50k miles.

I also found that there's a kit online for about $1200 that you can purchase to rebuild the seals. I'm a slightly-above-average mechanic (replacing valve covers and walnut washes are about my level of detail), would this be worth it?

Also, the vehicle drives fine now, but you're saying it quit suddenly one day, is this what I should expect rather than the smoke just getting worse?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #12
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychengineer View Post
I just recently bought a 2012 X5 50i (same motor as yours I believe), it ran fine but there was a bit of smoke I noticed, and it needed oil every other week, so I brought it into BMW of Ann Arbor and they said it's going to need an engine replacement. Paid $10k for the vehicle (in great shape), BMW wants $15k for the engine swap but they can only get a used engine with 60k on it. I'm told the seal replacement only lasts for about 50k miles.

I also found that there's a kit online for about $1200 that you can purchase to rebuild the seals. I'm a slightly-above-average mechanic (replacing valve covers and walnut washes are about my level of detail), would this be worth it?

Also, the vehicle drives fine now, but you're saying it quit suddenly one day, is this what I should expect rather than the smoke just getting worse?
Bad valve stem seals won't seize your engine, I drove mine for 20k burning a quart every 700 miles before I changed the valve stem seals. But what it will do is pit your valves and can prematurely wear everything out if you don't address it soon. I have another 30k miles on mine since doing the seals and doesn't use more then half a liter of oil every 5000 miles which is what a new engine will use. I am at 170k miles now. And this engine is tuned to almost 600hp and I flog it every day. Switch to liqui moly 5-40 oil too and change every 5k.

Doing the valve stem seals isn't crazy hard, just tedious and time consuming. It will take you 40-50 hours to do.
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      06-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #13
Psychengineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Quote:

Bad valve stem seals won't seize your engine, I drove mine for 20k burning a quart every 700 miles before I changed the valve stem seals. But what it will do is pit your valves and can prematurely wear everything out if you don't address it soon. I have another 30k miles on mine since doing the seals and doesn't use more then half a liter of oil every 5000 miles which is what a new engine will use. I am at 170k miles now. And this engine is tuned to almost 600hp and I flog it every day. Switch to liqui moly 5-40 oil too and change every 5k.

Doing the valve stem seals isn't crazy hard, just tedious and time consuming. It will take you 40-50 hours to do.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice! For the 40-50hr estimate, is that changing the seals with the kit without removing the engine, or with dropping the motor completely?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #14
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! For the 40-50hr estimate, is that changing the seals with the kit without removing the engine, or with dropping the motor completely?
Both take the same amount of time. With the engine out is is much easier to do but of course you spend time removing/installing the engine If your have access to a lift, pulling the engine is better as you can remove the lower intakes and clean the valves of carbon buildup. If you don't have a lift, then the kit is the only way to go.
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      06-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #15
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Got ahold of the site, it is a advetising site. But they did forward me on to another engine company. $10K for a rebuilt N63..

I'd be better off building it myself,

Just started it and it sounds horrible from the left bank...the clanking and knocking...........sucks these things don't have dip sticks. I just had the oil changed less than 100 miles ago and a tranny flush at the BMW dealership. oil change was at Valvoline...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #16
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Start up after sitting for 2 weeks.....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #17
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Engine replacement

Local Indy just quoted me $17K for a remanufacture engine. Labor and all. Sucks.the truck is only worth $14k tops.

Might do a full part out in the market place and recoup some losses.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #18
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 2011 E92 M3

When I found my 2011 X5 50i M-Sport it sounded like your video. I worked with an INDY to replace just the block. The Remanufactured block comes looking brand new with all new timing, water pump, valve covers, valve stems and seals, rear main seal, and some new sensors. We reused all of the accessories, turbos, intake, alternator, power steering, AC, etc. The engine runs great, I'm dealing with some auxiliary issues but everything that sees motor oil is perfect. I burn zero oil over 5000 miles and have driven the car for 50k miles. Hindsight, I should have done more with the engine while it was out but that's behind me. I was all-in on purchasing that X5 for 10,500.

BMW sells re-manufactured N63 engines for $3000 with a core charge.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...AtMi00NjYtOTM3

17K makes me believe that they just don't want to do it...

****Edit, I just realized this has been suggested earlier. Lol, at least you know its a plausible route.

Last edited by Bengineer330; 07-09-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      07-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #19
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengineer330 View Post
When I found my 2011 X5 50i M-Sport it sounded like your video. I worked with an INDY to replace just the block. The Remanufactured block comes looking brand new with all new timing, water pump, valve covers, valve stems and seals, rear main seal, and some new sensors. We reused all of the accessories, turbos, intake, alternator, power steering, AC, etc. The engine runs great, I'm dealing with some auxiliary issues but everything that sees motor oil is perfect. I burn zero oil over 5000 miles and have driven the car for 50k miles. Hindsight, I should have done more with the engine while it was out but that's behind me. I was all-in on purchasing that X5 for 10,500.

BMW sells re-manufactured N63 engines for $3000 with a core charge.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...AtMi00NjYtOTM3

17K makes me believe that they just don't want to do it...

****Edit, I just realized this has been suggested earlier. Lol, at least you know its a plausible route.
Hmm, I’m having 2nd thoughts about chopping this thing up now.

What did you end up spending if I can ask..if I can do it for 7k I would do it. It would be a good excuse to buy a lift I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #20
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 2011 E92 M3

It was under 7k, I believe the total ticket was $6200 including the block and shipping the core. The shop I used was EXTREMELY versed in the N63 CCP and had done 100's if not 1000's of N63 repairs. I called around for a shop that had the experience. They were able to remove the engine one day. Then swap all the auxiliary components the next. And the third day the motor was back in. They did the re-learn on all the vanos, re-adapted the fuel injectors and I was shocked when it started the first start. But then again cars are pretty plug-and-play. Here are a couple of reference videos to show you how fast a shop that has dealt with the N63 can be.

Knowing what I know now, and having a second car helps, I wouldn't hesitate to DIY this. It would certainly take me ALOT longer but would be fun as long as you don't have the stress of 'OH SHIT THIS CAR HAS TO GET ME TO WORK MONDAY.' Which is a REAL crappy feeling when that first bolt breaks during a DIY...

Let me know if you have any more questions
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #21
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:

All that and more being true, too bad BMW screwed S63 owners by skipping over the semi recall and shortblock pricing
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #22
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Around 800 is the limit I've heard...I had to replace mine at 135k with 700hp because it kept going into failsafe no matter what maintenance I did to it.
Appreciate 0