XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #177
Rcase
AW M Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW Collector

OEM Hitch Install

I completed the OEM hitch install yesterday on our 2010. I have an e36 track car that I previously borrowed a neighbors truck on, however with COVID backing off a touch, we have monthly racing at Harris Hill near Austin,Tx. We occasionally take our E30 M3 to shows for BMW CCA events, I do not drive it at night due to deer.

Removal of the bumper cover was maybe 30 minutes. It's imperative you use the correct tools. I was surprised how accessible everything was. I, like many I saw on this thread, wanted a symmetrical opening that looks oem. I used my trusty IR body jigsaw with a fine blade and it very easily cut without any issues with radius bends. Measure your key points like we did as children and connect the dots. I temporarily split a vacuum hose I had laying around as I did not want a large surround (just personal preference I suppose).

OEM is critical for me, the wiring was pretty straight forward. I do not have flaps on the exhaust so I did not reinstall the vacuum lines.

Hopefully embedding google photo images works.Apologies I do not have a smaller version and I do not believe html and css tags work on this forum.

2010 Alpine White X5M || All 3 Pedals Sans X5M
alpinewhitem.com //coming soon
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #178
Rcase
AW M Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y13LD View Post
Jumping into the convo to double check some stale info;
I'm looking to install a hitch on my E70 X5M, between OEM and Stealth Hitch. Execuhitch.com has two dead phone numbers so i'm not sure they are still doing business.

My question is around the costs of installation/programming. BMW quoted me $700 for the OEM hitch and then $800 for the labor. I see that the OEM hitch is $400 on ESC & Turner. I'd never go to the dealer for work but they said that only they can do the programming. The cost of programming alone at the dealer is $250.

I'd love to do OEM but then do I still have to go back to the dealer for programming? I'd hate to have to organize buying a hitch, setting up shipping, taking it to an indy shop for installation, and then taking it back to the dealer for programming. Seems like way too much work for a tow hitch.

To make matters even more confusing the official BMW NA installation guide for the OEM kit is 2.5 hours, WITH programming.

Not really sure what the best play is here. (Part numbers 71602156525 and 71602185556 for the trim if I go OEM). Need to tow a 22' Cobalt
ISTA-P is all you need and I am confident with a cable (89 bucks) you can get it installed using even a kit from eBay. Unlike other programming methods, there is literally a checkbox for retrofitting a hitch. Its about the easiest routine you will find.

I paid $409 shipped for the OEM kit, with wiring. I already regularly use my laptop and cables so it was a bargain. FWIW, I spent about 3 hours withy cleaning excessively, claying the exhaust openings and putting a sealant down.

Its not a race, do not worry about it taking you 8 hours or 3 hours, just take your time, grab a beverage (or 6) and enjoy the work. Unlike doing the turbo's, this one is pain free!
2010 Alpine White X5M || All 3 Pedals Sans X5M
alpinewhitem.com //coming soon
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #179
kjono09
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

Brake Controller

Anyone put a brake controller on their X5 with a seven pin?

URL="https://youtu.be/zONTFbrWDpY"]https://youtu.be/zONTFbrWDpY[/URL]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #180
just1n
Rep
Drives: '12 bmw x5d, '97 911 c2

Has anyone installed a Westfalia hitch? I'm very, very interested in ordering one but it looks like you'd need to weld a safety ring/plate on.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bmw-x5-e70...P70bekEPztinmE

Appreciate 0