XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-07-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
freyasdado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e70

Decided to stop lurking and introduce myself

Hello. I am freyasdado aka Freyas dad. I figured it was time to stop lurking and introduce myself. This forum has quickly become my go to when troubleshooting my 11` e70 with n63b44o0. I want to thank everyone who has contributed here with all this free information. Previously I attempted to say hi, but wrote so much that it got erased(and i got the hint) lol. I assume that im not the first to ask, but ive been unable to find it, so what service/shop/repair manual do you recomned? After purchasing 2 "repair" manuals that were not, ive decided to ask those in the know. Im looking for step by step repair w/ pictures that include the torq specs. Also im currently using an obd2 that lists most codes as manufacturer control. Previously I used a carly, but regardless how much money it told me i was saving, I am not paying for a yearly subscription that only works if i have internet(i live in the woods with limited reception). Again what do you guys recomned? I know that theres cables that i can use with my chromebook but im confused. Are those just for coding, or is there an app or... that reads codes and also codes? Is there something that does all that and also has the ability to do the stage1/2? Thank you, Seriously you guys are life savers!!!
Appreciate 2
SlowX6M288.00
      01-07-2023, 07:37 PM   #2
freyasdado
United_States
Rep

Also the previous owner (i think) got it at an auction. I believe it sat in storage and had rodent issues(poop on the motor and chew marks on the air filter. He choose to remove the tubes that go between the air filter and radiator support and leave it off. Rather than speculating the diffrences in airflow and its temperature what should i do? Purchase and reinstall the factory cai, leave it as a "hot" air intake, get an aftermarket(which and why), or fabricate my own? I do plan on going catless with high flow exhaust(again recomendations please) in the next 6mos to yr. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 03:00 AM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyasdado View Post
Hello. I am freyasdado aka Freyas dad. I figured it was time to stop lurking and introduce myself. This forum has quickly become my go to when troubleshooting my 11` e70 with n63b44o0. I want to thank everyone who has contributed here with all this free information. Previously I attempted to say hi, but wrote so much that it got erased(and i got the hint) lol. I assume that im not the first to ask, but ive been unable to find it, so what service/shop/repair manual do you recomned? After purchasing 2 "repair" manuals that were not, ive decided to ask those in the know. Im looking for step by step repair w/ pictures that include the torq specs. Also im currently using an obd2 that lists most codes as manufacturer control. Previously I used a carly, but regardless how much money it told me i was saving, I am not paying for a yearly subscription that only works if i have internet(i live in the woods with limited reception). Again what do you guys recomned? I know that theres cables that i can use with my chromebook but im confused. Are those just for coding, or is there an app or... that reads codes and also codes? Is there something that does all that and also has the ability to do the stage1/2? Thank you, Seriously you guys are life savers!!!
Welcome to the fold! BMW New TIS is the only way to go, everything you need step by step with every detail and torque spec, its what BMW techs use. I will PM you for more info on how to access. As for software, you will want to get a really good scanner such as a Foxwell NT530 or better with BMW software however if you REALLY want to be able to do everything on your nX5, you will need to get ISTA & a DCAN cable. ISTA is difficult to use and a pain the ass to install but worth it IMHO as its the actual BMW diagnostic software loaded with advanced features that no scanner can compare.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M122.50
      01-09-2023, 03:52 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Also the previous owner (i think) got it at an auction. I believe it sat in storage and had rodent issues(poop on the motor and chew marks on the air filter. He choose to remove the tubes that go between the air filter and radiator support and leave it off. Rather than speculating the diffrences in airflow and its temperature what should i do? Purchase and reinstall the factory cai, leave it as a "hot" air intake, get an aftermarket(which and why), or fabricate my own? I do plan on going catless with high flow exhaust(again recomendations please) in the next 6mos to yr. Thank you.
If you plan on leaving it stock then you should definitely get replacement cold air tubes back as you are losing performance and efficiency due to this.

If you want to go aftermarket, your choices are very limited. There are some aftermarket kits out there that replace the air filters with cone filters but they do not address the main choke point on the N63 engine: The turbo inlets. They are ridiculously undersized and restrictive on purpose to keep the N63 out of S63 Horsepower territory. This is why I had to take matters in my own hands and develop my own. After spending more then a year of R&D, I have address this issue with a custom intake system that replaces the turbo inlets, air filters, cold air intakes, and adds ram air.

It also completely uncovers the engine allowing much greater cooling for the engine and easy access to the coil packs and spark plugs. This intake + downpipes, stag 2 tune & jb4 will push a bit over 600hp and transform the E70 50i making it as fast as a new X5M competition dropping its 0-60 from 5.8 seconds to 3.6 and its 1/4 mile from 13.6 to 11.7 seconds. Receipts below. I will be making a formal announcement on the intake soon as I get close to production for anyone interested.

As for nuking the cats, you need to first find out what type of exhaust flanges you have as there were two types used on the 50i: Slip fit and a two bolt style. A quick peek under your X5 will tell you which ones to get.

Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 01-09-2023 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
freyasdado
United_States
Rep

Honestly imo thats the best cai that ive seen so far. Yes please more info when its available. Having grown up in a small rural town hours from anything even close to urban ive also learned to fab my own stuff and could possibly be considered a redneck myself. Thank you. Although even though its feeling less so with every issue this is by far the most intimidating thing ive ever worked on, but i enjoy the challenge, just not as much as when everythings working as intended.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:07 AM   #6
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
If you plan on leaving it stock then you should definitely get replacement cold air tubes back as you are losing performance and efficiency due to this.

If you want to go aftermarket, your choices are very limited. There are some aftermarket kits out there that replace the air filters with cone filters but they do not address the main choke point on the N63 engine: The turbo inlets. They are ridiculously undersized and restrictive on purpose to keep the N63 out of S63 Horsepower territory. This is why I had to take matters in my own hands and develop my own. After spending more then a year of R&D, I have address this issue with a custom intake system that replaces the turbo inlets, air filters, cold air intakes, and adds ram air.

It also completely uncovers the engine allowing much greater cooling for the engine and easy access to the coil packs and spark plugs. This intake + downpipes, stag 2 tune & jb4 will push a bit over 600hp and transform the E70 50i making it as fast as a new X5M competition dropping its 0-60 from 5.8 seconds to 3.6 and its 1/4 mile from 13.6 to 11.7 seconds. Receipts below. I will be making a formal announcement on the intake soon as I get close to production for anyone interested.

As for nuking the cats, you need to first find out what type of exhaust flanges you have as there were two types used on the 50i: Slip fit and a two bolt style. A quick peek under your X5 will tell you which ones to get.
Whooooah. Wow man, that is insane! How hard is this system to install?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #7
freyasdado
United_States
Rep

Everytime i see your cai i become more interested. Everrything about it. Also ive wrapped my intercooler hoses, but i did mine in header wrap. May i ask what material you used? Also are those after market intercoolers? Lastly what did you do with the factory breathers?(ive learned to hate them and their stupid unflexable plastic hoses that crack when looked or thought about too hard). I assumed thats where my vacuum leak was, or am i wrong?

to respond to the above reply. his setup might require some effort to initially install, but judging from the photo im guessing the most time consuming part of the install would be removing and throwing away the factory intake. After that it looks like everything appears much easier to get to making basic matinence easier and faster. lol. Can anyone hear me falling deeper in love with this setup? Its simplicity and beautiful and its easy to see how this would move more air more efficently over a shorter distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 05:56 PM   #8
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

There is the Sophisticated Redneck S/N 63 catch-can setup, for the PCV lines.
found here: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1731029

Sophisticated Redneck is going to be producing the intakes for the S and N 63 soon, once he get's some more machines in the workshop to build them.. He has both a S63 and N63 platform to test on.

If I recall, he wrapped his lines in
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

and their various sizing, he really speaks for it, so i followed suit on everything based on his engineering research (i.e. Sophisticated Redneck)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:30 AM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Everytime i see your cai i become more interested. Everrything about it. Also ive wrapped my intercooler hoses, but i did mine in header wrap. May i ask what material you used? Also are those after market intercoolers? Lastly what did you do with the factory breathers?(ive learned to hate them and their stupid unflexable plastic hoses that crack when looked or thought about too hard). I assumed thats where my vacuum leak was, or am i wrong?

to respond to the above reply. his setup might require some effort to initially install, but judging from the photo im guessing the most time consuming part of the install would be removing and throwing away the factory intake. After that it looks like everything appears much easier to get to making basic maintenance easier and faster. lol. Can anyone hear me falling deeper in love with this setup? Its simplicity and beautiful and its easy to see how this would move more air more efficently over a shorter distance.

Thanks! It represents over a year of hard work and testing and I am extremely happy with the results. It improves on every aspect of the stock intake, not just performance but also lets the engine run cooler buy not covering up the valve covers and allows easy access to the coil packs and spark plugs. You can change all the coil packs without a single tool in just a few minutes and complete spark plug change is a breeze now.

For intercooler hoses the wrap jajja posted works great and also the wrap found in home depot for outside pipes works great too

The Intercoolers are Alpina Intercoolers (Basically the same as the M intercoolers but made for the n63 turbos). You can find them on ebay from time to time. They are approx 30% bigger then the stock n63 intercoolers. You need to get the matching charge pipes with them if you get them. I wrapped the intercoolers themselves in a thermal heat sheild and then heat reflective tape (pics and links below)

Yes you are correct the plastic corrugated plastic is notorious for leaking. Unfortunately the lower tubes that connect to the actual engine intakes on the cylinder heads must still be used (that is until I have a CNC mill and make a solution for that too ) The rest can be replaced with -An fittings and hose in the thread Jajja linked above.

I use a Industrial Nylon Based carbon fiber thermoplastic. It is the only thing I have found that an withstand the brutal temps at the turbo inlet which will reach close 250 degrees about engine shutdown and thermal soak sets in. It is incredible material but very expensive however well worth it and why I can give a lifetime warranty on the intakes. You actually have some of in your engine compartment now, the lower intakes on the cylinder heads are made from a nearly identical thermoplastic but glass fiber filled instead of carbon fiber filled (to save BMW money).

You are correct, the most time consuming is removing the old intakes on the 50i, it takes a few hours to do on the 50i because you must remove not only the intakes but also the turbo inlets and replace them. Once you are done however you now have one the easiest to work on engines when it comes to spark plug and coil replacement and air filter maintenance is a breeze. The kit comes with lifetime K&N filters and a recharge kit for cleaning.

On the M the install is much simpler and only takes about 30min as you do not need to replace the turbo inlets.

As Jajja mentioned I will be producing these very soon, I am in the very final stages of final design tweaking, I am making the ram air scoops easy to remove in just a few seconds with no tools in-case of heavy rain or snow. I will make a formal announcement on the forums once I am ready to begin production and take care of the pre-orders already placed by the end of this week.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010396-High

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B00YJERW40
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 01:34 AM   #10
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Whooooah. Wow man, that is insane! How hard is this system to install?
Thanks X6M! Super easy on the M, about 30min.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 05:36 PM   #11
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Thanks X6M! Super easy on the M, about 30min.

What about on a regular e70 50i?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #12
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
What about on a regular e70 50i?
that is what Sophisticated Redneck had, a 5.0i, so 30min tops
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:03 PM   #13
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
I am also a new owner. I have a service required light, can I check and clear it with ITSA?
Appreciate 0