XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-13-2022, 11:42 PM   #1
Zubie88gt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

2009 X6 Signal Malfunction issues.

Hello All. I have owned my X6 since 2013 have a Dinan Phase 2 tune, have done some simple coding to change small items that bugged me.

This year I removed both headlights, replaced the polycarbonate clear lenses to give them a facelift put it back together and reinstalled in the car. Took me a month to complete this work off and on and I had to start the car and move it out of the garage with no headlights connected. I did pull the headlights out with the battery still connected to the car.

Now comes the fun part. Prior to removing the headlights, everything worked in the car. All lights, adaptive headlights, signals, ETC. After reinstalling the headlights I get both left and right signal malfunction. I made no wiring changes. I successfully recoded the FRM II that is in the car and still have both signal malfunctions. Front Passenger signal light in the headlight is ON all time, even with the key out and car off and the side marker and rear signal fast blink when the right signal is activated. On the left drivers side, the headlight signal fast blinks, but the side marker and rear taillight do not turn on at all! All bulbs are good. All grounds connected, No bent pins or issues with the wiring harness, there are NO LED bulbs, all Halogen the car came with. There is no corrosion on any sockets or connections. Current I do not have the Angle eye bulbs installed.

Today I pulled the connector off the passenger head light light and with a volt meter measured 12V to ground on the PIN that connects to the passenger signal bulb. THE CAR WAS OFF!!! Why the hell is there 12V???

So, I think the FRM module is the issue, and other then recoding it, I don't know if there is a way to reset the controls for the signals.

Anyone ever encounter this type of issue? Any advice on next steps to try to fix this. My gut is telling me to buy a new FRM. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 07:23 AM   #2
Zubie88gt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Update. Bought a $75 Dollar used FRMII with the same part numbers as mine, replaced it, coded the VIN with WIN-KFP, then using NCS-Expert copied the VO from CAS and coded the VO to the FRM module and everything works as it should.

It blows my mind that a critical module that controls so much in this car can partially fail like this. Anyway, I hope this post helps someone in the future.
Appreciate 1