XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-07-2022, 10:30 PM   #1
Thomination
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

2016 X6 Brake Question

Hi, First time poster. Let me know if I can do something better.

I had a 2009 X6 and drove another one I think was a 2015. When I drove both of these cars the brakes were tight and the stopping power was the best I've ever driven in any car. I could even lay the side of my foot on the brake and it was so sensitive I could still brake hard with out much pressure. I loved it.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I bought a 2016 X6. The brakes are Ok, but nothing like my past experiences with X6's. The brakes feel like they are tight for a second and then sponginess kicks in. It feels tight and then the brake slowly presses almost to the floor. The brakes don't feel 'dangerous' and the only time this problem would be a real problem if someone stopped very hard in front of me or something suddenly ran out in front of me. They just don't feel like the BMW X6 brakes I remember.

I took the car to a local mechanic (that I used with my past X6) and he said the brakes were fine. I am skeptical. They 'feel' different.

I feel like my X6 braking experiences in the past clearly had more responsiveness and more braking power, It was a couple years ago when I last drove and X6 so I am ½ way doubting myself. Am I remembering wrong? Does what I described sound like healthy X6 brakes?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 05:55 PM   #2
deepblonde
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 pre-lci 3.0d 6-speed ZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomination View Post
Hi, First time poster. Let me know if I can do something better.

I had a 2009 X6 and drove another one I think was a 2015. When I drove both of these cars the brakes were tight and the stopping power was the best I've ever driven in any car. I could even lay the side of my foot on the brake and it was so sensitive I could still brake hard with out much pressure. I loved it.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I bought a 2016 X6. The brakes are Ok, but nothing like my past experiences with X6's. The brakes feel like they are tight for a second and then sponginess kicks in. It feels tight and then the brake slowly presses almost to the floor. The brakes don't feel 'dangerous' and the only time this problem would be a real problem if someone stopped very hard in front of me or something suddenly ran out in front of me. They just don't feel like the BMW X6 brakes I remember.

I took the car to a local mechanic (that I used with my past X6) and he said the brakes were fine. I am skeptical. They 'feel' different.

I feel like my X6 braking experiences in the past clearly had more responsiveness and more braking power, It was a couple years ago when I last drove and X6 so I am ½ way doubting myself. Am I remembering wrong? Does what I described sound like healthy X6 brakes?
Did you find out why your brakes were spongy? What was the issue or the solution?
Appreciate 0