XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Vanos and Thermostat

2 questions here
Been smelling radiator fluid but cant find leak. Looked all over expansion box cant find leak. Ran Diagnostic test. Code came back 2EF4 / Not Present DME Map Thermostat mechanism. . Assume this means thermostat needs replacing. Previous Owner said water pump was replaced but have heard that Thermostats might not be replaced when water pumps are.
Does the code referenced mean to replace thermostat?

#2 - Diagnostic code came back 2A82 DME Vanos Intake. Assume this means replace VANOS intake solenoid. Might as well replace both. Is that how you would decipher code? Also seen pricing ranging from $30 for 2 solenoid to $200. Whats the difference between parts? seems $50 is in line but not $200
      05-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

had the same first problem.. solved by replacing the hoses on the engine but engine layout is probably different than yours.. it can be checked by pressurizing the system.. but 99% replacing the thermostat will solve the problem as the code says..

those 50$ solenoids can be starter's.. the ones you need should be at least 150$ and you better go with OEM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Pulled the solenoid out and cleaned it and sprayed it with compressed air. Cleared codes and re scanned car and vanos code didnt come up again

Traced coolant leak to what appears to be bottom of radiator. Cant find any hoses leaking but seems like leak is coming from passenger side bottom. Assume you cant fix these kind of radiators so was going to buy a new one but am a little confused. All websites keep asking my build date and some special hose i might need.

Any insight?
      05-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

assuming leak is on the bottom part can be deceptive cause of the gravity.. if you dont want to throw out immediately, best way to test it taking it out and submerging into water and pressurized air into it.. though i donno what year is your car, taking out and old radiator can easily damage it.. just try to make sure about the leakage then you can find a way out.. that build date is needed cause all parts are specified under chassis numbers and dates.. special hose thing is not that necessary..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Went ahead and picked up a new radiator. It was $220 from Pelican parts. If I pull it out and its not the radiator I figure I can either return part or just install new radiator and sell old one.
I will post up when job is done
      06-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Job is done and it was a success for the most part. I pulled and replaces radiator. Pretty easy job except gettign the new rubber rings on and getting them clipped in (I dribbled some soapy water on the outside of radiator and they slipped in real easy. Leak went away for a few days then came back with a vengeance. I traced the leak to expansion box. I replaced it as I already had one on hand. no more leak. No your probably saying you should of done a better job in checking to see what was the fault, and your right. when I pulled radiator out i could see where a small leak could of been, but I never pressure tested it. I h soudl of just gone ahead and replaced the expansion box first, then looked to see if I had a leak. would of been far cheaper.
Well Its not the first mistake I have made and wont be the last, but I am now far more experienced in fixing my X5 than i was before so I guess I still feel like a win