XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

X6 activehybrid brakes

I’ve recently noticed squealing when coming to a stop at low speeds. Like approaching a res light or stop sign etc. I have 60,000 kilometres on the vehicle, are the brakes actually good until 90,000 kilometres as I stated in the vehicle status section? I have had the vehicle since it had 23,000 km and I have only noticed the squealing recently.

If I do need to replace the brakes, can I get away with just pads or would I need rotors as well?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Although the text book answer would be measure rotor thickness I’ll offer you this.

Based on my driving style, I replaced pads at 90,000km for the first time. Brakes get serviced every 30,000 where I disassemble clean and lube. The front rotors had a noticeable lip at 90k but were not at the so called minimum. I did not get them turned.... but all worked out. The Bosch pads I used bedded-in fine. Now at 98K... the lip has been essentially worn away by the chamfer of the pad. These rotors are massive...I don’t track the vehicle... and even at minimum thickness, we have significantly more rotor than than most vehicles have when new.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

Thanks for the response. My x6 is only street driven, no real hard braking. The brakes work fine and are responsive etc. I think I will measure the rotors just to be sure. The vehicle was also parked for 3 months for the winter and I just started driving it about a week ago. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Appreciate 0