XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Blivit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Rear gate adjustment

2013 35i

Can the rear liftgate close contact point be adjusted? I will see if I can explain this...

In the past month, my 2013 has developed a dense metallic rattle in the back. It's my wifes vehicle so I don't drive it much; its possible it has been like this longer.

It is not super loud but is noticeable. I have been back there many times hitting things, moving things etc and cannot reproduce it (haven't yet sat back there while someone else drives.)

Yesterday while closed I pushed on the liftgate and it surprisingly moved more than I expected it to while latched. No lights stating that it is opened, no leaks. When I push it, I think I can hear the sound like it is rattling at the latch itself.

Anybody had this? Is there any adjustment there? I know you can adjust how much it opens. I didn't look at the latch as it was late when I discovered this. My only other thought is the 3rd row. We usually have this down but did put it up for a week while we had company. It is back down again now but maybe something isn't down all of the way?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

When my wife's E70 had issues (13 3.5i), the first thing they (dealer) did was replace the rubber bushings. Then they adjusted hatch over several trips. In my x5m, I've experienced noise from back there, but it turned out to be my rear sway bar w loose bolts.
      01-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

You can adjust the bumpers that the tailgate closes against, I had to do mine as my tailgate was not closing flush when I got my X5.

The latch mechanism itself can also rattle, the fix is to take it out of the lower hatch piece, take it apart and re-pack it with grease.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Check to see if the bolts on U latch on the center of the lower tailgate is loose or not. I had mine come loose and wouldn't close properly. Adjusted and tightened the screw solved my issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:23 AM   #5
Blivit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Thanks all, it was the latch.

Looked at things more closely last night. The bolts had almost completely backed out. Took a few tries to line things up but all is good now.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blivit View Post
Thanks all, it was the latch.

Looked at things more closely last night. The bolts had almost completely backed out. Took a few tries to line things up but all is good now.
I had taken half the lower tailgate to fix mine. I felt stupid after everything was apart that I didn't even need to take it apart!
Appreciate 0