XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #67
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I haven't...I figured BMW would tell me that they have to replace all the aftermarket parts first before working on the boost leak. They always have to start fixing obviously not stock parts.

I replaced all those parts, but then I went to a catch can system. I'm concerned that the catchcan system may have messed up the valve somehow. I removed the catch cans but have silicon hose running to the crank case. I'd like to just replace it all again so it's oem hoses and parts again.
I am going to post tomorrow the full write up on the catch-cans with adjustable check valve that replaces the entire check valve tree and BMW's bullshit factory CC pressure of -0.8 psi. I made it for the N63 but with just a few minor mods it will work for the S63. You will notice a nice increase in low-end torque and throttle response off the line and when just cruising at part throttle when its set to a proper -8 to -10psi. I have over 20K on this exact setup and its worked brilliant. Amazing how much crap it catches not to mention the power increase off the line and part throttle. I have since added AN fittings to everything instead of just cheesy hose clamps I used for testing that the pics dont show below.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 03-17-2019 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
9vapors648.00
      03-17-2019, 12:27 AM   #68
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
I'm still wanting to do a catch can, but would love to figure it out correctly for the S63. I just bought Maltman's stuff he made. He built a kit in Germany, but it was more for the S63tu, but at least I have the fittings...
Those Fittings are bloody Brilliant! The only part of mine that I wasn't able to put an AN fitting on. Where Can I buy some of those?
Appreciate 1
9vapors648.00
      03-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #69
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
I'm still wanting to do a catch can, but would love to figure it out correctly for the S63. I just bought Maltman's stuff he made. He built a kit in Germany, but it was more for the S63tu, but at least I have the fittings...
Those Fittings are bloody Brilliant! The only part of mine that I wasn't able to put an AN fitting on. Where Can I buy some of those?
Haha, that's why I've been up this guys ass for awhile, he was kind enough after I begged and groveled. He made them. I'm thinking to have them replicated if there is interest, especially since I want them black. I wish I could put a nice kit together. I got Vargas onboard, but they want at least 25 catch can kits up front to make them.

The BMS kit comes with some similar ones, not AN, but barbed hose ones, I contacted them and they aren't willing to just sell the fittings.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #70
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
At this point, I'm pretty familiar with the S63's CCV system. If you're building a system it would be great to start by replacing the hoses from the intake manifold. what sucks is the connecting point is hard to get to.

Here are some key things about the system. (closed/non-ventilated to atmosphere)

-MUST have a check valve with any hose connected to the intake manifold as it's under vacuum and pressure

-CCV system MUST have a connection to a pre-charged intake pipe. check valve is not a must but recommended.

-IMO, the reason BMW designed both valvecovers to be connected to only one intake manifold is to have a control in place if the CCV system has a clog or a leak. The 2 throttle valve angles having a big deviation is an indication for CEL for a clog or leak.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #71
9vapors
Major
Rep

I guess I just don't understand why the tu does it different then, in terms of the 2-1 crosspipe, (I know their system is completely different and actually works much better)...

I can tap my intakes since they are stainless and should be able to work that part.

I've found Vargas makes some nice check valves, but I'm waiting on sophisticated redneck to do his step by step considering he is raising the vacuum and claims to have gotten good results from it. I'm curious what is too much though and does that change under boost. I don't want to pressurize the valve covers and blow something up.

I've found they have PCV flapper replacements as well, which is one more piece to get rid of, although it doesn't seem to be a problem...
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vargas-t...-flapper-dele/

Billet check valve
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vargas-t...t-check-1~vtt/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vargas-t...-pcv-adapter~/

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35535

Hoping to come up with a good kit, eventually all A/N fittings and billet stuff.

Lastly, again, Vargas said they would build a specific one if we could just get 25 sales on board, but really there are like 5 of us wanting to do it lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #72
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand why the tu does it different then, in terms of the 2-1 crosspipe, (I know their system is completely different and actually works much better)...

I can tap my intakes since they are stainless and should be able to work that part.

I've found Vargas makes some nice check valves, but I'm waiting on sophisticated redneck to do his step by step considering he is raising the vacuum and claims to have gotten good results from it. I'm curious what is too much though and does that change under boost. I don't want to pressurize the valve covers and blow something up.

I've found they have PCV flapper replacements as well, which is one more piece to get rid of, although it doesn't seem to be a problem...

Billet check valve

Hoping to come up with a good kit, eventually all A/N fittings and billet stuff.

Lastly, again, Vargas said they would build a specific one if we could just get 25 sales on board, but really there are like 5 of us wanting to do it lol.
I think the TU doesn't have to do a 2 to 1 crosspipe because it has a MAF sensor in each intake. So each bank can monitor airflow separately with readings from the MAF and throttle valve angle.

For example if our CCV system was separate like TU, if there was a CCV leak or blockage in both banks a CEL won't come on. The S63's pre-turbo intake tubes can have leaks and it won't produce a CEL because we don't have a sensor monitoring airflow. Our CCV system is connected these intake pipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #73
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Quote:

Billet check valve

I think the TU doesn't have to do a 2 to 1 crosspipe because it has a MAF sensor in each intake. So each bank can monitor airflow separately with readings from the MAF and throttle valve angle.

For example if our CCV system was separate like TU, if there was a CCV leak or blockage in both banks a CEL won't come on. The S63's pre-turbo intake tubes can have leaks and it won't produce a CEL because we don't have a sensor monitoring airflow. Our CCV system is connected these intake pipes.
I'd rather run that pipe around the firewall or in the partitions instead of where it is and what it is. I'd love to make it out of some braided line or something to use the AN fittings instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #74
hyeprofile
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 M (E70)

Any updates

Quote:
I have not yet. Took it to another shop, who also turned me away. The truck is down now for what seems to be either alternator or fuel injectors...getting some funny electronics codes and misfires. Will probably have it towed to another shop since I don't have the time to fix it myself right now.

After that gets fixed I'll probably start looking for the boost leak issue by replacing the intake manifold pressure sensors and filtered air ducts again. If that fails I'll start replacing the throttle body gaskets and intake manifold gaskets.
Any updates? Did you fix your boost leak?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #75
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeprofile View Post
Any updates? Did you fix your boost leak?
Nope. The truck is currently in the shop to fix a misfire issue. I'm out of the country for a while so probably won't get to work on her for a while. I still plan on replacing the PCV system and pressure sensors and go from there. Sorry for the lack of update. I'm not giving up on the truck or anything.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #76
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

I have one of the codes coming up as of today...310B (charging pressure control 2, plausibility).

I checked both diverter valves..don't see any rips...

The code popped on the highway under WOT, got the reduced engine power message and the aforementioned code.

I do notice now that under partial throttle I can hear from the driver side escaping air, never noticed this sound before. Really hoping the wastegate didn't just take a shit
Attached Images

Last edited by Dawgz; 05-31-2019 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #77
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I finally got the chance to work on the car...it appears that my misfire issue was the JB4. I looked over the wiring several times, and there was no issue. I'm unsure if it was a firmware or hardware issue with the unit. I ended up pulling it out entirely and will look it over again when I get the chance to see if something needs to be soldered. The truck is running perfectly now.

I also replaced the filtered air ducts again, since mine were ghetto from the catch cans I had installed and then removed. Honestly, I was getting more oil in the systems with the catch cans than with the stock hoses anyway. I haven't gotten a boost leak code yet, but I also haven't driven it hard. I'll have to see if I can put it under load. The problem I have now is that I don't have a system to log and check boost without the JB4. I tried the torque app, but I couldn't get it to operate accurately...I'll have to look around for something else before going back to P3.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #78
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I finally got the chance to work on the car...it appears that my misfire issue was the JB4. I looked over the wiring several times, and there was no issue. I'm unsure if it was a firmware or hardware issue with the unit. I ended up pulling it out entirely and will look it over again when I get the chance to see if something needs to be soldered. The truck is running perfectly now.

I also replaced the filtered air ducts again, since mine were ghetto from the catch cans I had installed and then removed. Honestly, I was getting more oil in the systems with the catch cans than with the stock hoses anyway. I haven't gotten a boost leak code yet, but I also haven't driven it hard. I'll have to see if I can put it under load. The problem I have now is that I don't have a system to log and check boost without the JB4. I tried the torque app, but I couldn't get it to operate accurately...I'll have to look around for something else before going back to P3.
Torque works really well, Ive been using it for about a year, you just have to set it up to subtract the natural atmospheric pressure, kinda stupid they mad it that way. I'll check it when I get back tonight for more details on my settings.

Interesting on the misfires, if it does it past stock boost levels then probably plugs, coils or injectors. I have yet to install my jb4, have new coils and plugs and just dropped the 2 grand on new injectors, will be putting those in soon then I'll slap in the JB4 and see if I cant get into the 11s or blow it up in the process 🤣
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #79
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Checked my torque settings, under units set to psi instead of bar and edit your vehicle profile on the main screen and make sure the boost adjustment is set to zero. Then add the turbo boost and vacuum sensor almost at the bottom of all listed sensors and you should be set
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #80
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:

You can set jb4 on map 0 and it shouldn't mess/alter anything, but it will still let you log.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:27 AM   #81
Jreed977
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 50i N63

Did you ever determine the cause of the 310B and 30FF codes? I'm having the same issue with the Velos tune. When I flash back to stock the problems goes away, but I'm still not sure if it's just some component I the car that can't handle the added boost.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #82
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreed977 View Post
Did you ever determine the cause of the 310B and 30FF codes? I'm having the same issue with the Velos tune. When I flash back to stock the problems goes away, but I'm still not sure if it's just some component I the car that can't handle the added boost.

For me it was the vacuum lines. Replace those with HPS 4mm silicone hoses.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #83
Jreed977
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 50i N63

Thanks. I ordered new vacuum hose and vent pipes. What about the filtered air ducts? I assume they can also cause this.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #84
OllieX5M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M5 and 2002 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreed977 View Post
Thanks. I ordered new vacuum hose and vent pipes. What about the filtered air ducts? I assume they can also cause this.
Jreed did you fix the issue ? I’m getting the same exact crap. Waiting on my battery maintainer to get here to remove the velos tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #85
clueless69
Rep
Drives: BMW E28 528i BMW X5M

in my case i didnt notice any changes because im was driving only sundays i did notice oil on the engine driver side i cleaned engine bay and oil spreading back again can find the source.after couple races iget engine malfunction message and cut engine power by computer long story short i open the hood started the engine and heare sucking noice driver side vent pipe was broke completely you cant see it cause pipe is wrapped in material . so i cut that connected pipeline with fitting 2 clamps and a hose and i thought great i fixit.after couple runs i get big engine mulfuction sign back i open the hood with engine running and guess what opposite vent line sucking air i did same thing i bought lines but didn't changed cause of the nature of the problem its gonna hold couple years maybe,maybe more.you should call dealer this lines on recall,talk to them maybe they change for free and i have scary picture i check oil level every time i drive my baby. on idrive that day i get this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #86
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:

Reread thru this whole post. So it turned out NOT being the DV+ as the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #87
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW13E70X5M720?hpAudi2003RS66+

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
1989/2000/2006/2018 ...  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Quote:
Do you have a local shop that have ISTA/Rheingold? The program should shed a lot more light on what's going on.
Quote:
Do you have a local shop that have ISTA/Rheingold? The program should shed a lot more light on what's going on.
Best idea here yet this is coming from a BMW mechanic trained in Germany. ISTA/ INPA -DEFF DIAG IT WITH THE BMW FACTORY COMP !
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #88
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW13E70X5M720?hpAudi2003RS66+

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
1989/2000/2006/2018 ...  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Quote:

Billet check valve

Quote:

Billet check valve

6 now
Appreciate 0