XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Hey -C-!!

(By the way, I've got the Z4 here at work today!)

When the service manager called me, he told me that he had taken a look at a few E70's that are on the lot here and they all have the dark tinted band at the top of the windshield. Maybe its down to a difference between a US and Canada spec car, but it seems that up here, we get tints with the dark band along the top. As its way hotter in the US and the sun's power brutal, I'm amazed that US regulations prevent BMW from installing that type glass on US cars.

Awesome tip on the headlights though!

Hey - did you see my post on the rims I got for my X5? About $1,000 Canadian ($700 US) for a set of 20x10 and 20x11 611M reps - and they look great! Lifetime structural warranty on 'em too.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Hey -C-!!

(By the way, I've got the Z4 here at work today!)

When the service manager called me, he told me that he had taken a look at a few E70's that are on the lot here and they all have the dark tinted band at the top of the windshield. Maybe its down to a difference between a US and Canada spec car, but it seems that up here, we get tints with the dark band along the top. As its way hotter in the US and the sun's power brutal, I'm amazed that US regulations prevent BMW from installing that type glass on US cars.

Awesome tip on the headlights though!

Hey - did you see my post on the rims I got for my X5? About $1,000 Canadian ($700 US) for a set of 20x10 and 20x11 611M reps - and they look great! Lifetime structural warranty on 'em too.
Ahhhhhhh ok the band up top!

Now I get it! I thought you where talking the whole thing !

Lol. Sorry I was just getting back from lunch and was quickly scanning so I may have misread it and thought you where talking about the whole windshield being tinted.

Yea that makes sense as different countries do have different requirements.

My x5 has the higher end trim and the windshield is in-fact clear and has no band up top and it's a Bmw original windshield. (BMW logo).

So what you had is defiantly special or correct to the country of origin and have no idea what their options where or are.

I know some cars here have that band but our e70's don't.

Yea I think I may be getting to ol Z back from mom soon she has a hell of a time getting in and out if it lately. Still enjoys driving it and got her first speeding ticket in it! Lol...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #25
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

Lol. Sorry I was just getting back from lunch and was quickly scanning so I may have misread it and thought you where talking about the whole windshield being tinted.

My x5 has the higher end trim and the windshield is in-fact clear and has no band up top and it's a Bmw original windshield. (BMW logo).

So what you had is defiantly special or correct to the country of origin and have no idea what their options where or are.

Yea I think I may be getting to ol Z back from mom soon she has a hell of a time getting in and out if it lately. Still enjoys driving it and got her first speeding ticket in it! Lol...
Hey -C-!

I'll post some pics once I've had the new glass installed; should be in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like your Mom rocks! I'm betting she won't give the keys back without a fight!

Cheers and here's an early Happy 4th of July!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #26
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

Hey -C-!

I'll post some pics once I've had the new glass installed; should be in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like your Mom rocks! I'm betting she won't give the keys back without a fight!

Cheers and here's an early Happy 4th of July!!
Awesome and you two! Thanks man!!!

I took a pic from mine as you can see no band of tint .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #27
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Bumping this as I got a nice sized crack driving down to VA his week.

Right now, I believe I have the normal windshield for a car with rain sensors, no HUD and no lane departure. If I were to upgrade the windshield to the climate comfort version, anyone know which part number it is? I’m seeing 2 versions on realoem. One that has a grey wedge (not sure what this is), and one that doesn’t. What’s the difference between them?

Windshield #51317211912 & 51317211911
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_A178

Doesn’t look like Liberty Mutual has a separate glass policy so I’ll be filing under comprehensive and paying my $500 deductible. Luckily my policy does call for factory replacement parts so getting a OE windshield shouldn’t be a problem. Hoping the dealer or whatever glass place I use can slip in this upgrade
      05-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #28
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Dumb Question - Should windshield be tinted?

Out of curiosity I'm interested to know the difference as well. Did some searching and couldn't really come up with anything.

One piece of advice I do have is to change your comprehensive deductible to $0. I did this years ago and for me it cost close to nothing - like $3/month or something crazy. Paid for years of increased premium when I had my windshield replaced on a Lexus IS I had. Worth looking into to see if you could save $500 next time around.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:47 AM   #29
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
Out of curiosity I'm interested to know the difference as well. Did some searching and couldn't really come up with anything.

One piece of advice I do have is to change your comprehensive deductible to $0. I did this years ago and for me it cost close to nothing - like $3/month or something crazy. Paid for years of increased premium when I had my windshield replaced on a Lexus IS I had. Worth looking into to see if you could save $500 next time around.
Yea I’ll look into it. NJ charges out the ass for insurance so my guess is I won’t be as lucky as you but I’ll look.
      05-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #30
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Bumping this as I got a nice sized crack driving down to VA his week.

Right now, I believe I have the normal windshield for a car with rain sensors, no HUD and no lane departure. If I were to upgrade the windshield to the climate comfort version, anyone know which part number it is? I’m seeing 2 versions on realoem. One that has a grey wedge (not sure what this is), and one that doesn’t. What’s the difference between them?

Windshield #51317211912 & 51317211911
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_A178

Doesn’t look like Liberty Mutual has a separate glass policy so I’ll be filing under comprehensive and paying my $500 deductible. Luckily my policy does call for factory replacement parts so getting a OE windshield shouldn’t be a problem. Hoping the dealer or whatever glass place I use can slip in this upgrade
Selecting CC option and removing HUD I only come up with the 912 number. The 911 shows for HUD equipped. I am using BMW's ETK (same as realoem).

When I upgraded the windshield in my E39 to a CC windscreen, there was a teeny tiny spot where I could place my V1 radar. So that Kind of sucked. My E38 had a nice spot towards the bottom part. I'm not sure where the E70's spot would be, if it had one. Might make a difference if you have a radar. That being said, when I need a windshield, I'll be doing CC too...such a nice option to have.

Last edited by Nyc Dito; 05-24-2019 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #31
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Selecting CC option and removing HUD I only come up with the 912 number. The 911 shows for HUD equipped. I am using BMW's ETK (same as realoem).

When I upgraded the windshield in my E39 to a CC windscreen, there was a teeny tiny spot where I could place my V1 radar. So that Kind of sucked. My E38 had a nice spot towards the bottom part. I'm not sure where the E70's spot would be, if it had one. Might make a difference if you have a radar. That being said, when I need a windshield, I'll be doing CC too...such a nice option to have.
Interesting. RealOEM (if I am reading this right), shows the 911 as an option for both HUD and non-HUD cars. It also mentions leather dash with those so maybe that has something to do with it. You're right tho that the 912 best matches my current setup.

I dont do radar so that shouldnt be a problem, just EZ pass. From some pictures I have seen, there is a cutout around the rear view mirror where it should go so the signal makes it thru. Did it make a noticable difference with heat on your E39 and E38? (BTW, I miss my E39 haha). When I had my windows tinted, it felt like it made a difference. This summer I was going to do the Air film on the windshield but hopefully can do this instead.
      05-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #32
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

yea, look here when I select NO to S610 (HUD)..

When you install it, would you mind posting if it has space for the radar lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
I dont do radar so that shouldnt be a problem, just EZ pass. From some pictures I have seen, there is a cutout around the rear view mirror where it should go so the signal makes it thru. Did it make a noticable difference with heat on your E39 and E38? (BTW, I miss my E39 haha). When I had my windows tinted, it felt like it made a difference. This summer I was going to do the Air film on the windshield but hopefully can do this instead.
It sure does. In my E39 I rarely even need to use my sun glasses. The heat is noticeably less than when using the E70 or E90. I really like it. On a hot day BMW says it helps keep the cabin cooler by up to 20 degrees. I've never measured it but it does feel less. I convinced a friend to swap in a CC on his E90 and he loves it as well.

Last edited by Nyc Dito; 05-24-2019 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #33
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
yea, look here when I select NO to S610 (HUD)..

When you install it, would you mind posting if it has space for the radar lol

It sure does. In my E39 I rarely even need to use my sun glasses. The heat is noticeably less than when using the E70 or E90. I really like it. On a hot day BMW says it helps keep the cabin cooler by up to 20 degrees. I've never measured it but it does feel less. I convinced a friend to swap in a CC on his E90 and he loves it as well.
Awesome. Thanks for the help. I gotta talk to the dealer and insurance today and see what they say. Hopefully this all works out
      06-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #34
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Bump.

I had a Saint Gobain Sekurit climate comfort windshield installed today. This was considered aftermarket glass and not OE ( didn’t have the BMW logo on it).

A few things I noticed and thought I would let you guys know.
1. There is a light gray tint strip along the top of the windshield.
2. There are no tint cutouts along the top or bottom corners of the glass for EZ pass or radar. Not sure if that’s just the way E70 glass is or if that’s the way aftermarket glass is.
3. On either side of the rear view mirror, you do have a dot matrix arrangement where apparently you can mount ez pass and have the signal work.
      06-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #35
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Where did you get the Saint Gobain glass installed? That's what mine has installed, just no BMW logo like the rest of the windows. I have a good crack, so I want to get mine replaced, just not sure to try dealer or an indy glass place.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #36
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Where did you get the Saint Gobain glass installed? That's what mine has installed, just no BMW logo like the rest of the windows. I have a good crack, so I want to get mine replaced, just not sure to try dealer or an indy glass place.
I used an indy shop that the dealer outsources it’s work to.