XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
BimmerMan2421
Private
Rep
Drives: E34 525i & E53 X5 & E90 328i

Scraped an X6.....Is this estimate reasonable?

Hey everyone, so last week I scraped a X6 with my Tacoma while pulling in to a parking spot I myself don't even know how I managed to hit a parked car but I deserve a major face palm. Today the other party went to a collision center and received a quote of $1500 just to repaint the rear bumper....Do you guys think this estimate is legit and reasonable? I'm a college student and I don't want to be taken advantage of and originally I didn't want to run this accident by my insurance company but now it seems like I have to. I'll attach photos of the damage and the estimate. I would love your guys' opinions and advice on what to do! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Car Estimate.pdf (1.69 MB, 134 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_2031.pdf (1.79 MB, 111 views)
File Type: pdf Tacoma.pdf (2.99 MB, 96 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Have the owner take another estimate, take an average and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

That's a little high, but not unreasonable, to paint a bumper. It's not an easy or simple task.

From the look of the photo, there is definitely a spot where the paint is completely rubbed off. So, to make it look right, it'll have to be feathered out and the whole bumper will have to be painted to make it consistent.

Some higher end body shops will spray halfway up the side of the car to blend then clear/paint properly. Thus, adding to cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
That's a little high, but not unreasonable, to paint a bumper. It's not an easy or simple task.

From the look of the photo, there is definitely a spot where the paint is completely rubbed off. So, to make it look right, it'll have to be feathered out and the whole bumper will have to be painted to make it consistent.

Some higher end body shops will spray halfway up the side of the car to blend then clear/paint properly. Thus, adding to cost.
They will take the panel off, and paint the whole thing. It is about average.

I had similar damage fixed twice, after our vehicle was hit on two separate occasions (each time the scum back who hit us cleared off)....I took it to an award winning indy, and he painted the whole thing, removing the panel each time. I paid 300 CAD (cash deal) on each occasion for flawless work. You don't have that luxury.

If this was my vehicle, you would get one chance to pay the estimate amount...and that estimate would be from a BMW approved body shop.

That's the way she blows...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #5
BimmerMan2421
Private
Rep
Drives: E34 525i & E53 X5 & E90 328i

Thanks for all the replies! I greatly appreciate it. Although very high I ended up paying the estimate amount today since my deductible is $1000 and I have midterms this week so figured might as well take the loss and give the other party the estimate amount. That way I could get this over with and my insurance rate doesn't go up. Appreciate the advice everyone!
Appreciate 0