XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-25-2022, 11:03 PM   #1101
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmar View Post
Just wondering, would they look better in black?
No. You would lose all of the detail of the rims visually. As well as lose the contrast with the vehicle color.
Appreciate 1
conmar19.50
      05-26-2022, 02:41 AM   #1102
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

What a view, all features working properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 12:40 AM   #1103
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
No. You would lose all of the detail of the rims visually. As well as lose the contrast with the vehicle color.
Good point, thanks for this hint, did not consider the contrast.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #1104
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
Flushed and filled the brake system. And pressure washed the floor mats. M logo is nice and white again.
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:22 PM   #1105
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

New solenoids in the transmission, I had done a fluid change and all new seals a couple weeks ago and swapped the solenoid positions, and the code I got changed, and I went from weird shifts in Drive, to not getting reverse to activate. New solenoids have fixed it, no codes, no weird shifts... and 2 fluid changes in 2 weeks, along with all new seals for the valve body to trans, and mechatronic.
Oh and finally changed my low pressure fuel sensor, the code has been lingering in the background for the entire time I have owned this beast.
Down to one code when I scan, and I am just needing one tool that I don't have to get that one done as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #1106
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Got the DDE, CAS, and new key back in the mail. Put everything in and the E70 fired right up. Would really like to know how they cleared the no start error but at this point I'm just happy it starts. :dunno:

Finished modding the passenger side headlight. Added clear front reflectors and replaced the headlight washer jets and the painted covers. They had broken the nozzle off and taken the covers with them at some point on the road.

Still cleaning this thing up too in prep of listing it. It's been sitting so long I think I am going to polish it and ceramic coat it too. Going to try to get stupid money for it (compared to other high mileage e70s) so it better look good as well as drive good.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #1107
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Going to try to get stupid money for it (compared to other high mileage e70s) so it better look good as well as drive good.
Where you going to post it? Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #1108
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Replaced the rear bags in the X5M. I followed the procedure in 5 or so YouTube vids I watched. Driver's side was easy, passenger's side took a bit of swearing and fiddling. Maybe an IPA was involved. Regardless, got a test drive in, let it set for 36 hours and no sagging.

Then I read the instructions from Arnott . . .you kidding me? The first instruction is to not remove the 10mm collar from the bag itself. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:47 AM   #1109
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Does anyone here have a link to replacement headlight lenses for LED Headlights? They are different to the Xenon Headlights in shape a bit so I cant use those lenses. Thanks.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #1110
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
Where you going to post it? Let us know.
Will do. Was going to list it on Craigslist, Xoutpost, and of course here. I'll post a complete service history (in my ownership) plenty of photos, and a walkaround/drive video. Was tempted to put it on Cars and Bids but I don't think it will garner the price we want there.

I just ordered another set of replacement headlight lenses for it as the driver's side one had a blemish in it that was visible with the lights on. So I have to wait for those to come in to finish putting the front end back together. Also ordered a pair of new OE engine bay trims (the 2 that go over the cabin filters and the brake booster) as the rubber on the top of them had degraded and looked ugly.

Will get an alignment too as I did have to drop the subframe to replace the trans, motor mounts, vac lines, etc. It still tracks straight, but it has good tires on it so I'm going to get an alignment so the new owner won't have to worry about accelerated wear on the rolling stock.

As I said, I'm going to ask stupid money for it so I don't anticipate it selling quickly. And we'll enjoy it in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #1111
TRENDSETTER
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Duramax LBZ, Mazda CX-

Bought it, about 3 weeks later installed a hitch and hitch wiring kit then changed the oil the next day, then 2 days later (i.e. last night) r&r the transmission pan/filter and changed the fluid. Wow 1st to 2nd shift (and downshift) are smooth AF just like the rest of the gears now. And I thought that was just how these thing are...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #1112
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Prepping this thing for sale. Should be a pretty nice example when done. Going to enjoy driving it around while waiting for it to sell.

Waiting on new headlight lenses, the one I previously replaced had a blemish in the plastic and looked terrible when the lights were on compared to the new one. Also got the beast taped up in prep for paint correction and ceramic coating. Going to use Cquartz UK 3.0 which should get here Thurs.

While waiting for all that to get here I figured I'd refinish the kidneys. Coming out pretty good.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 03:02 PM   #1113
alidelanoy
Registered
Rep
Drives: mercedes e class

My father is a lawyer, but he likes to do house needs. He always repairs something, always does something good in our house. Last evening, after work- he usually came late. I observed how he is learning about professional locksmithing techniques. What an interesting contrast between law science and locks. I was very interested in his passion, and I asked him what is he doing in these courses, and he answered that he just liked it and wanted to improve his skills. I understood that there are many ways to develop your skills and knowledge. And it doesn’t matter what University you finished if your soul wants to develop your skills into a new profession so go ahead.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 12:53 PM   #1114
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidelanoy View Post
My father is a lawyer, but he likes to do house needs. He always repairs something, always does something good in our house. Last evening, after work- he usually came late. I observed how he is learning about professional locksmithing techniques. What an interesting contrast between law science and locks. I was very interested in his passion, and I asked him what is he doing in these courses, and he answered that he just liked it and wanted to improve his skills. I understood that there are many ways to develop your skills and knowledge. And it doesn’t matter what University you finished if your soul wants to develop your skills into a new profession so go ahead.
cool story

06-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #1115
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep

Just a quick fix today...not. However I am glad
it will be done.

Got finally aware of the issue in March, an independent shop where I had the transfer case oil changed confirmed there is an issue.
Before two stealerships had completely different opinions, one here in Switzerland ( l went there for an open recall) went like: Houston, we have a problem here... your car ist leaking like crazy... did sound like Niagara Falls dimension.

Took me by surprise, given that there we're nö such signs at all. Next day I had to drive to Germany, after a longer chat I was finally told I were good to go,
the torrential floodings, so to say, were reduced to some occasional raindrops after all. Are you kidding me?
Of course to be on the safe side, I had the car checked at a dealer in Germany two days after...they could not find anything .
One more dealership on my personal blacklist now.
At least for serious works, they do have an impressive showroom full of X5/X6/X7.
Update: back from the shop, quite a difference I have to say.
However, what they found beneath the case let ua all speechless, see the last three pics.
They took care of the crack, obviously the previous owner did not, just put a ton of glue/grease/slime / whatsoever on the case
Hopefully it is fixed now, will be checked in two weeks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #1116
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just a quick fix today...not. However I am glad
it will be done.
That's crazy. I don't know what they hit to do that... but it obviously wasn't covered by insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #1117
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
That's crazy. I don't know what they hit to do that... but it obviously wasn't covered by insurance.
Yeah, crazy as can be . Best guess so far: we found the cardan shaft had been replaced , it bears a sticker reading 2018, so whatever was the reason a defect of this shaft, perhaps at high speed, may have delivered a serious punch to the automatic gearbox.

Now searching high and low for a solution, given that it still shifts perfect- enough oil in it, that is- I would like to avoid buying a new automatic gear. So fingers crossed a revision / repair is possible.
Moreover, we are about to rebuild our garage and to renovate our home, of course Murphy had to strike again.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #1118
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Now searching high and low for a solution, given that it still shifts perfect- enough oil in it, that is- I would like to avoid buying a new automatic gear. So fingers crossed a revision / repair is possible.
Moreover, we are about to rebuild our garage and to renovate our home, of course Murphy had to strike again.
If you were willing to remove the gearbox, a machine shop should be able to weld that aluminum and deck the pan surface. Wouldn't be cheap, but likely cheaper than a new box. A low mileage 8hp (or 6hp, don't know which that is) could probably be sourced for <$1500. I got lucky when our trans went out (E clutch bearing failure) and found an 80k mile replacement 6hp28x for $800. Used my EGS and had our VB rebuilt for good measure, used the low-mileage torque converter and it's been hunky dory since.

Edit: And I realize you are in Switzerland, but above pricing was just an example using USD and our situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #1119
repaidboy
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 M

Just swapped out the wheel center caps to floating ones. Now they stay right side up all the time. Purchased on Amazon, OEM. Not super pricy at $80 for all 4 compared to standard ones. BMW 36122455269 Floating Center Caps Compatible with All Original Alloy Wheels with 5x120 Bolt Pattern 65mm Roundel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CarFan46.50
      06-18-2022, 03:33 AM   #1120
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
If you were willing to remove the gearbox, a machine shop should be able to weld that aluminum and deck the pan surface. Wouldn't be cheap, but likely cheaper than a new box. A low mileage 8hp (or 6hp, don't know which that is) could probably be sourced for <$1500. I got lucky when our trans went out (E clutch bearing failure) and found an 80k mile replacement 6hp28x for $800. Used my EGS and had our VB rebuilt for good measure, used the low-mileage torque converter and it's been hunky dory since.

Edit: And I realize you are in Switzerland, but above pricing was just an example using USD and our situation.
Thanks, excellent hint re machine shop, will check that out! Right now I am waiting for a quote from a gear shop, guess I will receive it by Tuesday.
For sure it will not be cheap, but would love to keep my truck
It is btw. a 40d from 2010, so an 8hp, just started to get my head around the idea of a second-hand gear. Will also look internationally.

Cheers and have a great weekend
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #1121
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Getting closer to this thing being back on the road and on the market. Would love to keep it but we don't need two diesel X5s... or 6 vehicles in total either.

Completed:
  • New headlight lenses installed
  • Cleaned the front wheel wells and reinstalled new rivets for the flares
  • Cleaned most areas while I had different things apart
  • Ordered and replaced a couple missing under chassis plastics
  • Repaired a broken aftermarket LED module installed in the lower bumper
  • Polished the whole truck (wish I'd gone with a more aggressive polish though)
  • Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated and Reloaded the whole truck

[

Still have to do an oil change and get an alignment... then after putting a few hundred miles on it to make sure everything is good (and to enjoy the fruits of my labor) I'll list it.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M122.50
      06-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #1122
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep

Gorgeous, I would be tempted myself.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, you know, the more miles you are going to put on the harder it becomes to let her go...and once gone. Mr. R.E.Gret is going to knock on your door. - as per my own experience.

Just got my first quote: roundabout 5 grand for the repair...ooopsie.
Okay, next please. Search goes on.
Appreciate 0