XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
Wigjiggy
Wigjiggy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 M

Garage List
2014 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
Track tires for X6M

Hey guys. Need some advise. I've been tracking my 2014 E71 X6M a few times now on regular street all season tires. Needless to say the traction on the track is not good. I've been looking into true track tires, but the selection out there is limited. Any suggestions? I have the 300M 20-inch wheels.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Michelin Pilot sport 4.
All season tires are s*** ,they don't perform good in the snow,they have poor handling in the wet,they are nowhere.
Generally Michelin pilot sport for the summer and Nokian Hakkapeliittas for winter.
      09-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigjiggy View Post
Hey guys. Need some advise. I've been tracking my 2014 E71 X6M a few times now on regular street all season tires. Needless to say the traction on the track is not good. I've been looking into true track tires, but the selection out there is limited. Any suggestions? I have the 300M 20-inch wheels.
Thank you.
Blue x6m at Sebring instructed by Justin last October?
      09-21-2018, 02:19 AM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

tracking X6M regularly sounds like a fantasy to me..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
Wigjiggy
Wigjiggy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
I've been running at Sebring, but not the blue one. I'm in all black. Signed up for the Nov 4 Chin HPDE.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Wigjiggy
Wigjiggy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigjiggy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
I've been running at Sebring, but not the blue one. I'm in all black. Signed up for the Nov 4 Chin HPDE.
It's a lot of fun on the track. Really surprising performance. 620hp doesn't hurt. But 5,400lbs doesn't help. That's why I need better tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
sm6666
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M

We have taken ours to Thunder Hill, and it does really well. Some good track tires are in our future!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
P6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M sold, X5M sold, X6M current

You would need to switch to one of these if you want meaningful improvement. Frankly i wouldn't spend the $'s. Just enjoy being on track. It will take a lot of mods to make the car much faster, while still safe. Brakes are the weak link.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=20

These will easily fit on the stock rims. i would go with the Mich. They are still very manageable on the street. The Toyo's would suck in adverse weather. Go big or go home. Any lesser tire and the incremental improvement will be underwhelming. You said it earlier, 5,400lb is a lot to overcome. That will overwhelm even race compounds. Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, run flats are an ideal choice for the track. The stiff sidewall makes up for some of the 5,400. I've used both stock RFT and a comparable non-rft and prefer the rft on track and non-rft on the street. Since it sees more street, i use non-rft. Everything is a compromise.

I've been tracking cars for about 15 years. My current toy is a 1996 spec miata with a turbo. Cheap fun. Really cheap fun. My tow vehicle was a 2011 x5m, and is now a 2012 x6m. I've had one or the other X on about 5 different tracks in and around TX. Even bone stock it is no slouch. Surprises everyone.

video from a few years ago at Motorsport Ranch outside Houston
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Wigjiggy
Wigjiggy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P6 View Post
You would need to switch to one of these if you want meaningful improvement. Frankly i wouldn't spend the $'s. Just enjoy being on track. It will take a lot of mods to make the car much faster, while still safe. Brakes are the weak link.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=20

These will easily fit on the stock rims. i would go with the Mich. They are still very manageable on the street. The Toyo's would suck in adverse weather. Go big or go home. Any lesser tire and the incremental improvement will be underwhelming. You said it earlier, 5,400lb is a lot to overcome. That will overwhelm even race compounds. Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, run flats are an ideal choice for the track. The stiff sidewall makes up for some of the 5,400. I've used both stock RFT and a comparable non-rft and prefer the rft on track and non-rft on the street. Since it sees more street, i use non-rft. Everything is a compromise.

I've been tracking cars for about 15 years. My current toy is a 1996 spec miata with a turbo. Cheap fun. Really cheap fun. My tow vehicle was a 2011 x5m, and is now a 2012 x6m. I've had one or the other X on about 5 different tracks in and around TX. Even bone stock it is no slouch. Surprises everyone.

video from a few years ago at Motorsport Ranch outside Houston
Thanks for the reply P6! I assume non Ed would be better, but maybe not with all the weight. I have the Dinan tune and Exhaust and intake and the tires became the weak link. That being said, I just bought my new track toy (I'll keep my X6M but as a daily driver or tow vehicle. Last week I purchased a 370Z that has major track mods, including supercharger, suspensions, etc. can't wait to get it out in Sebring in January.
Appreciate 0