XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-09-2022, 06:14 AM   #1
Mixhali
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335

X6 N63 No start

Hi guys,

This all started out as a misfire problem. My mechanic suggested changing two of the injectors as a start as they are all index 5. Overall he said to change all but I asked just to start with the problematic cylinders. After he did that he ended up with a 30bd error and a rough but drivable car. His research indicated that the ECU was fried for some reason. Not convinced, I took the car and have attempted a few things myself to get rid of the code. However things have gone from bad to worse.

After doing my own research it pointed to the injector driver ic's ATIC94D1 x 2. I ordered a couple online and swapped them out. (I can use a soldering iron!) after putting the ECU back in the car it threw a tonne of codes and would not start. Cranked fine but no kick. After some troubleshooting, checking everything again and again I started probing with a multimeter. I noticed the main DME relay was not getting a ground signal from the DME. I decided to ground it and see if we get an engine start. The engine started however was not happy. running very very rough, would not respond to throttle input and basically was just turning over.

The collection of codes im getting are:
3100 Low Boost
2CF3 Throttle valve 2, throttle valve potentiometer 1 and 2
2D4C Throttle valve 2, throttle valve potentiometer 1, electrical
2D2D Absolute-pressure sensor 2, intake pipe, electrical:
2A81 Intake variable camshaft timing control, activation 2
0000 ??
0000 ??
2A86 Exhaust VANOS, activation 2
2D23 Air volume meter 2, electrical
30CB Blow-off valve 2 , actuation
2F07 Intake air temperature sensor 2, electrical:
00F1 DME: DMS Digital Motor Electronics: fault stored
262F ??
3BD1 DSC Issue

Apologies i should have mentioned i have a jb4 hooked up and unfortunately it doesn't resolve the codes to meaningful text. I have had to look them up myself so hopefully they are correct.I expect that most of these codes are the consequence of the root cause.

At the moment i suspect an electrical fault, like a ground or something as gone missing, but as i said i have checked all connections. I might have purchased dodgy Ic's from aliexpress. I may swap back the original ones tomorrow.

By the way i always disconnect the battery when working on anything related to the DME
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 12:01 AM   #2
Mixhali
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335

SO one thing i hate is when i find a post like this and it fits my experience exactly only to find a dead end post. So i have some updates.

Firstly majority of codes where caused by me not having one of the connectors pushed right in on the ECU. This got the car stated and also understandably cleared most of the codes except the 30BD which was the original issue i was chasing so no dice. Not wanting to give up i poked around with my multi meter and found that one injector output measured almost a short. This is where i decided i had to go all in as pulling the ECU apart completley is not easy and may result in a dead ecu. I found a shorted Mosfet which is the FQD9n25. I have ordered that fet and will update
Appreciate 2
TTV8M121.00
argento538.00
      07-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
BCX550I
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi Mixhali! How did you make out with the replacement of the MOSFET's? I have a near identical situation on my 2011 X5 50i. It would not start with a 30BA and 30BB code. I pull the DME to have a look, put it back in, and now I have a huge list of codes with the DME not communicating. When I did have the DME out I was not able to find a diagram of which MOSFET's were for the injectors. Did you have success with replacing the one on your DME? Would you happen to have a pic of the job showing which one it was? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
did you disconnect the battery before removing the DME connectors?
      07-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
BCX550I
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi TTV8M! I did disconnect the battery before pulling the DME connectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 11:33 PM   #6
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixhali View Post
Hi guys,

This all started out as a misfire problem. My mechanic suggested changing two of the injectors as a start as they are all index 5. Overall he said to change all but I asked just to start with the problematic cylinders. After he did that he ended up with a 30bd error and a rough but drivable car. His research indicated that the ECU was fried for some reason. Not convinced, I took the car and have attempted a few things myself to get rid of the code. However things have gone from bad to worse.

After doing my own research it pointed to the injector driver ic's ATIC94D1 x 2. I ordered a couple online and swapped them out. (I can use a soldering iron!) after putting the ECU back in the car it threw a tonne of codes and would not start. Cranked fine but no kick. After some troubleshooting, checking everything again and again I started probing with a multimeter. I noticed the main DME relay was not getting a ground signal from the DME. I decided to ground it and see if we get an engine start. The engine started however was not happy. running very very rough, would not respond to throttle input and basically was just turning over.

The collection of codes im getting are:
3100 Low Boost
2CF3 Throttle valve 2, throttle valve potentiometer 1 and 2
2D4C Throttle valve 2, throttle valve potentiometer 1, electrical
2D2D Absolute-pressure sensor 2, intake pipe, electrical:
2A81 Intake variable camshaft timing control, activation 2
0000 ??
0000 ??
2A86 Exhaust VANOS, activation 2
2D23 Air volume meter 2, electrical
30CB Blow-off valve 2 , actuation
2F07 Intake air temperature sensor 2, electrical:
00F1 DME: DMS Digital Motor Electronics: fault stored
262F ??
3BD1 DSC Issue

Apologies i should have mentioned i have a jb4 hooked up and unfortunately it doesn't resolve the codes to meaningful text. I have had to look them up myself so hopefully they are correct.I expect that most of these codes are the consequence of the root cause.

At the moment i suspect an electrical fault, like a ground or something as gone missing, but as i said i have checked all connections. I might have purchased dodgy Ic's from aliexpress. I may swap back the original ones tomorrow.

By the way i always disconnect the battery when working on anything related to the DME
Did you ever solve the issue? Thanks!
Appreciate 0