XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

05-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #1
MadHatx6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

Lightbulb Where do you start if you want more POWER?

I’ve got a E71 3.0 X6. What would you say would be the best starting point if I want to add more power? Also want to give it a strong sound, but not just modify the exhaust. I want the power to come with it. Can you give some recommendations as to what to do? Also, how do you guys feel about a cold air intake being installed? Is it worth it? What would be the best option as far as exhausts mods? I also want to drop spacers on it. What brand would you recommend and what are potential hazards that come with spacers? I’m thinking 20 mm in the back and 15 in the front... please advise
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
El Wray
Private
Rep
Drives: AW X6M

Cold air intake is one of the most useless things to do, but an essential part of the supporting things to do when performing the full "bolt-on" swap. On paper it adds a hair of power, but it is not noticeable. Combined with other things it helps the overall performance and something that probably works better if done last. Usually the first, and most noticeable, thing generally starts with a tune.

Sound typically is not synonymous with power. Loud != fast. And the S63 (especially in the X's) have never been known for their exhaust note.. matter of fact it's a bit lacking.

Judging from what you are describing, you want your car to be hard parked as spacers are useless. Save your money, get a tune [spacers if you want], buy some cheap fart cannon (like a megan exhaust) and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

first i believe you need to determine how much power you want that can make you happy.. what 0-60 times you re after etc.. afterwards maybe you ll realize its better to change the car first..
      05-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
MadHatx6
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Wray View Post
Cold air intake is one of the most useless things to do, but an essential part of the supporting things to do when performing the full "bolt-on" swap. On paper it adds a hair of power, but it is not noticeable. Combined with other things it helps the overall performance and something that probably works better if done last. Usually the first, and most noticeable, thing generally starts with a tune.

Sound typically is not synonymous with power. Loud != fast. And the S63 (especially in the X's) have never been known for their exhaust note.. matter of fact it's a bit lacking.

Judging from what you are describing, you want your car to be hard parked as spacers are useless. Save your money, get a tune [spacers if you want], buy some cheap fart cannon (like a megan exhaust) and call it a day.
Ok thanks!! What kind of tune would you suggest?? Do you have a time of your own? If so what kind of tune and what bmw do u have? & I was asking about spacers strictly for cosmetics. I just want my wheels to sit wider
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
MadHatx6
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
first i believe you need to determine how much power you want that can make you happy.. what 0-60 times you re after etc.. afterwards maybe you ll realize its better to change the car first..
Lol I mean it’s all stock right now. And I’m not trying to turn it into a track car, just something that’ll give some noticeable power increases
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

My main gripe with my 2012 X5M has always been lack of immediate response when getting off the line or even when accelerating normally.

I did not want to go Tune route for various reasons so started off with Sprint Booster. Man, am i happy with this product, you bet.. It has completely transformed how the car feels now

With so much talk about tuning and what our cars can do, once again, i didn't want to go tuning route so started exploring my other options.

I eventually settled on BMS stage 1 software and let me tell you son, this som of a bitch is nothing but WOW, a big one. Driving the ///M has never been so much fun before

Having said all that, I understand your's a different engine but i am sure SB will definitely help with the pedal feel and check with BMS to see if they offer any product for your vehicle.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...formance-tuner

GL

Last edited by quick; 05-23-2020 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Best dollar per HP mod for an NA engine...add boost. You won't be the first or last to add boost to an N52, but from what I've seen, you'd be the first to add it to the X5. $4k and 500+ HP will put you into X*M territory with better reliability.
Appreciate 0