XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Snapped an axle due to excessive burnout on new tires

Just got new summer tires (OEM tires). Celebrated with a burnout the first chance I could get. Did a few donuts then all of a sudden it learched forward and just stopped.
Then kept going as the traction control kicked in and off for a moment. Loud clicking and banging sounds. I was like fuuuuuuccckkkkk!!!!+ wtf did I do.
It seems like its just the axle near the wheel that snapped. Grease everywhere.

Is that an easy fix? Do I need special tools or anything? This is the front left one that broke.
I had the dealer change the right rear a few months ago as it was leaking but this one had no clicking sounds or anything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
What no video? Like your jump!

lol, I'm glad you still have an X5M and always finding its weaknesses.

I hit the traction control light for the 1st time with a tune, so I understand.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
What no video? Like your jump!

lol, I'm glad you still have an X5M and always finding its weaknesses.

I hit the traction control light for the 1st time with a tune, so I understand.

Dam, I should have saved a video. I have one after the fact tho.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Other than an impact and having a 12 point or something for the lower nut that i had to buy special (it's a larger size I didn't have) it wasn't anything special to change out.

Good chance to replace the bushing with poly in that inboard suspension arm too.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 02:08 AM   #5
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Other than an impact and having a 12 point or something for the lower nut that i had to buy special (it's a larger size I didn't have) it wasn't anything special to change out.

Good chance to replace the bushing with poly in that inboard suspension arm too.
I changed a front axle once on a chevy. Then it started leaking after that though. When I pull it out of the transfer case, will it just pour out tranny fluid? Or is it some how encased somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Also, do you replace the entire axle, like both cv's and the shaft, or just the cv that snapped near the wheel?

Plus, I don't have an impact wrench. I did swap one out b4, but I must have damaged the seal, as it kept leaking forever, even after I had the seal changed again by a shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I used a 36mm sockey. No workey!!!

It just slips off like its stripped. But it looks fine..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #8
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
I used a 36mm sockey. No workey!!!

It just slips off like its stripped. But it looks fine..

I did it by hand last time. Cant even get impact to take it off
Now. Lol. Bent the inner part out as they were bent in. Still
No go.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #9
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also,,

31607545125 is the part number, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #10
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is it worth getting OEM? ITS LIKE $1000!!!

But the regular onr is like $120. Haha. I think its the OEM that snapped, as I never changed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #11
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...uine-bmw-part/
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #12
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 01:13 AM   #13
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Put new axle in, now vibration on hard acceleration

Took old axle out.. It was a biatttchhh!! Had to use a torch. Took a while. Anyways, got the $130 axle, instead of the $1500 OEM axle. No joke! The Lordco ones are $130 (Cardone brand), and that's what I put in. The OEM ones from the other shop, or directly from dealer are about $1500, which is insane. But, now I think I know why there is such a price difference; It now vibrates when I accelerate. no vibration on normal driving. Also, the ABS and stability control lights are on, but I think that's a separate wiring issue (as I had that happen b4, and I did a shitty rewiring job, so it still randomly comes on), unless it could be caused by the axle swap?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #14
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Vibration on accel is a tough one to solve. But I'd guess the axel would be a good place to look.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #15
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Replaced Axle, now no ABS or power steering, airbag malfunction,, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Vibration on accel is a tough one to solve. But I'd guess the axel would be a good place to look.
Yep. It had a bit of vibration on low speed as well, so I look at the lip where the wheel goes on, and it was bent, so the wheel was loose. It looks like it was damaged a bit, but after I tightened it a lot it stayed tight, and most of the vibration went away. Still a bit when I stomp on it. But, now I'm getting a christmas tree of warning lights, and no power steering or ABS, airbag malfunction, stability control malfunction, there was a battery level low warning, but that's gone now. WTF? Could replacing the axle damage all those sensors or the module or ?? I think it may be the batter, as the shop said that sometimes a low battery will cause many many warnings, and I now have 7, LOL. I'm going to a shop soon, as I can't figure that out. I see no damage at all in the area where the axle was replaced, no damaged wires or anything at all, no leaks from the axle, nothing out of the ordinary. Is it a module or battery do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:39 PM   #16
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My axle snapped again!

Quote:
Yep. It had a bit of vibration on low speed as well, so I look at the lip where the wheel goes on, and it was bent, so the wheel was loose. It looks like it was damaged a bit, but after I tightened it a lot it stayed tight, and most of the vibration went away. Still a bit when I stomp on it. But, now I'm getting a christmas tree of warning lights, and no power steering or ABS, airbag malfunction, stability control malfunction, there was a battery level low warning, but that's gone now. WTF? Could replacing the axle damage all those sensors or the module or ?? I think it may be the batter, as the shop said that sometimes a low battery will cause many many warnings, and I now have 7, LOL. I'm going to a shop soon, as I can't figure that out. I see no damage at all in the area where the axle was replaced, no damaged wires or anything at all, no leaks from the axle, nothing out of the ordinary. Is it a module or battery do you think?
It snapped again. WTF!?! Now got to get a better axle to put in. Any recommendations? It's the front left axle again. I mean are there any OEM quality equivalents for a better price?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 02:32 AM   #17
colinmartin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 x5m

the same happened to me,changed with aftermarket ,horrible vibration after install ,coughed up for OEM now everything is back to normal ,just use winter tires now for burnouts as they slip much easier
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 10:37 AM   #18
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

I believe GKN is oe for that, around $325. Replaced one of my fronts a year or two back. No issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #19
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

If your not completely disabling your traction control, your going to keep snapping axles and soon nuke your transfer case doing donuts with it on. Even then it's questionable as from what I understand, even with DTC fully off, the BMW computer goes nuts when the truck gets fully sideways as I dont think it's ever truly disabled.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 01-13-2022 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 08:51 PM   #20
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
If your not completely disabling your traction control, your going to keep snapping axles and soon nuke your transfer case doing donuts with it on. Even then it's questionable as from what I understand, even with DTC fully off, the BMW computer goes nuts when the truck gets fully sideways as I dont think it's ever truly disabled.
Sounds about right. I don't think I ever did that many burnouts on it. I did turn it off tho bro. It was at least set on the m mode, and the DTC or DTS disabled lights were on so, I think that's where I want it to be.
But, on a good note, I gave up on it, and took it to a shop, and they looked up the part and it showed $1500 for an oem equivalent quality axle, but they said will only charge about $400, so that seems like a hell of a deal. The $140 one I got from Lordco is complete crap, and they are a bunch of scammers, as it immediately started vibrating and made clicking noises as well. Looking forward to 2 my 2nd axle. I will do a donut in the opposite direction to celebrate when it's done!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:06 PM   #21
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Fixed for the 2nd time!

Quote:
Sounds about right. I don't think I ever did that many burnouts on it. I did turn it off tho bro. It was at least set on the m mode, and the DTC or DTS disabled lights were on so, I think that's where I want it to be.
But, on a good note, I gave up on it, and took it to a shop, and they looked up the part and it showed $1500 for an oem equivalent quality axle, but they said will only charge about $400, so that seems like a hell of a deal. The $140 one I got from Lordco is complete crap, and they are a bunch of scammers, as it immediately started vibrating and made clicking noises as well. Looking forward to 2 my 2nd axle. I will do a donut in the opposite direction to celebrate when it's done!

Yeah, I did the donut, no snap! yaay! Well, I think the vibration is gone this time, and no clicking sounds, so must be decent quality. and, yep the list price was $1500, but the shop gave it to me for $190 + $100 labour, as I needed the warranty this time, lol. And, I did call 2 other shops and they both said parts were $1500, hahahahah. So, this guy was cool and decided not to rip me off like all the other independent shops do, but pretend not to. Like, seriously the dealer price is $1500 + labour, so WTF. There is zero point in going to an indy shop unless you can get a massive discount for the same quality parts. And, there is zero point in doing it yourself, as one little fuckup, and you're doing it all over again, and something else broke. Although I did see two prices on the computer, as he asked me for help choosing the x5 model, year, etc. One was $1500, the other price was $325. Not sure what that was about, unless his cost was $325? So, I got it below cost? Or their cost was like $75 or something, as I mentioned I got it for $190 plus labour. Anyways, happy so far, I mean it's a challenge trying not to pay full price for the X5M. Also, it did say it was an OEM axle on the screen, so I'm assuming it's the exact same quality. Anyways, back to driving again!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:05 PM   #22
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Yeah, I did the donut, no snap! yaay! Well, I think the vibration is gone this time, and no clicking sounds, so must be decent quality. and, yep the list price was $1500, but the shop gave it to me for $190 + $100 labour, as I needed the warranty this time, lol. And, I did call 2 other shops and they both said parts were $1500, hahahahah. So, this guy was cool and decided not to rip me off like all the other independent shops do, but pretend not to. Like, seriously the dealer price is $1500 + labour, so WTF. There is zero point in going to an indy shop unless you can get a massive discount for the same quality parts. And, there is zero point in doing it yourself, as one little fuckup, and you're doing it all over again, and something else broke. Although I did see two prices on the computer, as he asked me for help choosing the x5 model, year, etc. One was $1500, the other price was $325. Not sure what that was about, unless his cost was $325? So, I got it below cost? Or their cost was like $75 or something, as I mentioned I got it for $190 plus labour. Anyways, happy so far, I mean it's a challenge trying not to pay full price for the X5M. Also, it did say it was an OEM axle on the screen, so I'm assuming it's the exact same quality. Anyways, back to driving again!
Did you ever fix this? Why not send your axles to DSS and have them build you better ones?
Appreciate 0