XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-26-2021, 12:10 AM   #1
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZHP 6sp + 2012 X5m

4x4 Shop Canada 10.25" Android CarPlay Music "Skipping Issue"

Hi Everyone. I've been working on an issue on and off for the past 2 months, and have yet to find a solution. I could use some help.

I have the a 3 month old 10.25" Qualcomm Snapdragon Android 10 Head Unit with wireless CarPlay that I bought from the 4x4 Shop Canada. It has 4G RAM + 64G ROM (8 Core) - 4G/LTE capability.

My problem is when playing music over in CarPlay, over any streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music, or even playing music downloaded to my phone from those services, the music will randomly "skip" like a scratched CD. It sometimes will happen every 15-20 seconds, and other times it will go for 30-40 minutes with no issue. When it is happening, which is often, it's irritating enough that I often will switch the music off, which is very unfortunate given music is half the reason (other reason is GPS) that I wanted CarPlay.

Does anyone have a solution? Or better yet, has anyone purchased this exact unit and NOT had this problem? I've read many people say they have the issue, and have yet to hear anyone say they don't have the issue. Small sample size though, so looking to hear more people's experience with this 4x4 shop unit.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help/thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:43 AM   #2
dang2407
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 E70 35D MSport

What phone do you have? I had a Galaxy A51 that did exactly that with my bluetooth connected earphones. Problem was worse in busy areas where wifi and other bluetooth users were about. Replaced the phone with a Huawei P3 and the problem went away.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:46 AM   #3
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang2407 View Post
What phone do you have? I had a Galaxy A51 that did exactly that with my bluetooth connected earphones. Problem was worse in busy areas where wifi and other bluetooth users were about. Replaced the phone with a Huawei P3 and the problem went away.
I am using an iphone 12 pro. While it's an Android Head Unit, the issue is while using Apple CarPlay via the "Z-Link" app, which I was under the impression is for iphone users only.

Were you using CarPlay somehow? A 4x4 shop unit? What apps were you playing music from?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #4
dang2407
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 E70 35D MSport

This was with bluetooth headphones, so was just suggesting the phone itself could be to blame rather than the headunit. Some of these headunits have a bluetooth aerial which might be worth checking...
I play music via spotify so I dont stream from the phone to my headunit.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
BMWHoochie
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 E70

Here are a few things to try. I haven't had this issue with my unit so far but try the below steps and see if it helps. I purchased my unit from AVIN. I would also reach out to 4x4 shops support team and see if they have any reports from other users experiencing this. They might have a fix.

1. Go into Bluetooth settings on your phone and disable the ‘Media audio’ option for your car’s Bluetooth device. You can also try disabling ‘Contact sharing’.

2. Try disabling Battery Optimization for the Bluetooth and Android Auto apps

3. Don’t automatically join free WiFi networks. Try disabling WiFi before you connect to your vehicle.

4. Turn Off location tracking

5. Turn Off Bluetooth scanning

6. Try Clearing the app cache for your music or podcast app as well as the Bluetooth app could resolve the issue

On my unit, I can select vehicle Bluetooth or Android Bluetooth and I selected Android Bluetooth. If you don't have wireless CarPlay try a different USB cord. Most of the time you are sharing Bluetooth bandwidth like sharing contacts and hands-free calling etc... These can also cause issues

Try these one at a time and move to the next if it doesn't work. Keep us posted.

Last edited by BMWHoochie; 06-01-2021 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #6
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHoochie View Post
Here are a few things to try. I haven't had this issue with my unit so far but try the below steps and see if it helps. I purchased my unit from AVIN. I would also reach out to 4x4 shops support team and see if they have any reports from other users experiencing this. They might have a fix.

1. Go into Bluetooth settings on your phone and disable the ‘Media audio’ option for your car’s Bluetooth device. You can also try disabling ‘Contact sharing’.

2. Try disabling Battery Optimization for the Bluetooth and Android Auto apps

3. Don’t automatically join free WiFi networks. Try disabling WiFi before you connect to your vehicle.

4. Turn Off location tracking

5. Turn Off Bluetooth scanning

6. Try Clearing the app cache for your music or podcast app as well as the Bluetooth app could resolve the issue

On my unit, I can select vehicle Bluetooth or Android Bluetooth and I selected Android Bluetooth. If you don't have wireless CarPlay try a different USB cord. Most of the time you are sharing Bluetooth bandwidth like sharing contacts and hands-free calling etc... These can also cause issues

Try these one at a time and move to the next if it doesn't work. Keep us posted.
Thanks for this! I have already been working with 4x4 for over 2 months and tried a few firmware updates. They said they have a new firmware OTA update coming out this week, and they think this one will work. We shall see. I'm losing faith in them a bit. I will update after I install it.
Appreciate 1
JDAURIA725.00
      06-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: The new firmware did not solve the issue. Has anyone else had this same "music skipping issue" while using CarPlay, on their android head unit? If so, did it ever get resolved? I have found many threads online about this issue, but no solution. It's left me wondering if playing music over Wireless CarPlay actually works without skipping for anyone? I do not have a wired option with this unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #8
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

following up here: Wondering if playing music over Wireless CarPlay actually works without skipping for anyone? ( it doesn't for me, it skips often). I do not have a wired option with this unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #9
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

FWIW, I have a loaner car and wireless CarPlay works flawlessly, so it's not my phone.
      08-09-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

https://support.avinusa.com/hc/en-us...ound-skipping-

Someone at AVIN did tell me the built in Wireless CarPlay feature is unreliable and they recommended using this adapter instead https://avinusa.com/autoplay-usb-ada...nd-a-auto.html

Last edited by 03Saleen; 08-09-2021 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jon_G13.50
      08-11-2021, 12:42 AM   #11
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
following up here: Wondering if playing music over Wireless CarPlay actually works without skipping for anyone? ( it doesn't for me, it skips often). I do not have a wired option with this unit.
I have an old AVIN unit, with a wireless CarPlay adapter, connecting to an iPhone 11 Pro Max. All I use the unit for is CarPlay. I've been using a wireless dongle for probably close to 3 years now, and have never had a music skipping issue. Also, was streaming Apple Music, and now just my personal music library via Plex (w/ Plex Amp app) - 98% of the time streaming, only playing saved music in phone when in areas without cellular connection on road trips.

Hope this helps…
Appreciate 2
argento538.00
Jon_G13.50
      08-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have had the unit from 4x4 shop for a few years now and have always had issues with the audio. I bought the usb dongle that has both wired and wireless CarPlay (wired I would say is smoother). Both still tend to skip (usually when the phone is being used for nav, etc) but furthermore the quality isn't great even when not skipping (very slight static noise).

My fix to the problem is getting my CarPlay set up, then swiping up on my iPhone to see my control center and selecting the music audio output (I'll attach a picture of what I'm talking about). Then I select my BMW's Bluetooth which works much better; instead of the aux coming from the android unit.

The final result is I can use CarPlay and my BMW Bluetooth at the same time.
Attached Images

2011 BMW X5 35i || M Performance Package || BMS CAI
Sequential LED Rear Bumper Reflectors
LED DRL's with Signal
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 11:04 PM   #13
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Saleen View Post
https://support.avinusa.com/hc/en-us...ound-skipping-

Someone at AVIN did tell me the built in Wireless CarPlay feature is unreliable and they recommended using this adapter instead https://avinusa.com/autoplay-usb-ada...nd-a-auto.html
Thanks for the idea. Have you tried it? Beyond that, that can anyone confirm this works with a 4x4 shop system? The 4x4 shop had told me originally it only works wirelessly. Seems like an interesting, albeit less than perfect, solution if it does do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 11:06 PM   #14
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGrey_E70 View Post
I have had the unit from 4x4 shop for a few years now and have always had issues with the audio. I bought the usb dongle that has both wired and wireless CarPlay (wired I would say is smoother). Both still tend to skip (usually when the phone is being used for nav, etc) but furthermore the quality isn't great even when not skipping (very slight static noise).

My fix to the problem is getting my CarPlay set up, then swiping up on my iPhone to see my control center and selecting the music audio output (I'll attach a picture of what I'm talking about). Then I select my BMW's Bluetooth which works much better; instead of the aux coming from the android unit.

Hmm. I will try this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #15
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
FWIW, I have a loaner car and wireless CarPlay works flawlessly, so it's not my phone.
UPDATE, still in my loaner vehicle, but the last two times out I've had ONE skip moment in each ride. Appears my deduction that it's not my phone may be flawed. Sorry, I don't have any other tangible helpful info...
      08-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #16
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
UPDATE, still in my loaner vehicle, but the last two times out I've had ONE skip moment in each ride. Appears my deduction that it's not my phone may be flawed. Sorry, I don't have any other tangible helpful info...
I've tried 3 different phones with mine... each with the same issue
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:53 PM   #17
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I bought the shop4x4 unit for my e93.
It does the same things sometimes.
Sounds like yours is worse.
Mine will skip a few times. It either goes away or I tune it out after a while.

The phone connection will sometimes glitch and disconnect too.

Maps sometimes lags too.

I think it’s just the actual unit at this point. It will never be as good as factory Apple play.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #18
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: After 6 months of trying firmware updates ( I was close to giving up), the most recent firmware update from the 4x4 shop FINALLY fixed the audio skipping issue. This was as of the firmware released in October. I can update the exact firmware build number upon request later when in the car. I was waiting til now to make sure it worked on my old iphone and my new iphone pro 13, and i'm happy to say the music skipping issue has been 100% resolved at this point across all phones.

For reference, in the past I had tried the old firmware with many phones, (4x4 always blamed my phone, SMH) and it never worked on any phone I paired. It now works perfectly though on all phones after the October firmware release.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #19
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Did 4x4shop send you the updated software, or was it something you were able to download yourself from another source?
      01-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #20
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Did 4x4shop send you the updated software, or was it something you were able to download yourself from another source?
You have to reach out to the 4x4 shop. They will send you the software and instructions. It's a very easy process. Takes about 10 minutes.
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      01-29-2022, 04:09 AM   #21
EditTim
Registered
Rep
Drives: e70 LCI 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGrey_E70 View Post

I know this thread is a bit old, but I haven't found this much helpful info anywhere else.
Question for you, SpaceGrey_e70, when you say, "getting my CarPlay set up," what exactly are you doing, pluging your iPhone into a wired carplay/android usb cable from the glovebox? And what iPhone model?

I plan to get the AVIN unit (haven't yet), and will likely order it with both wired and wireless CarPlay options, so I have some flexibility.

My thing is this: I want to control CarPlay through the iDrive or touch screen, BUT, I want to send the actual audio to my upgraded DSP Amp in the back, that has BT 5.0, or HiRes usb input available. So far, I haven't been able figure out if this is possible. You post is the first this I've seen that sounds like my plan IS possible. From what I understand, BT 5.3 or so allows sharing the audio to more than one destination, so yeah, are you using a wired, or Bluetooth connection to the Carplay, while you send the audio to the car's bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:54 PM   #22
Timmy9830
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Has there been any updates on the audio issues? Do they support usb audio now? Or have the newer units gotten better with the audio quality? I really want to upgrade my screen but I am too scared considering the audio is so poor for a lot of people.
Appreciate 0