XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-18-2019, 12:47 AM   #1
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E70 X5M, 997.2, Ghibli

Locked keys in X5M - Comfort Access

It was my understanding that comfort access would prevent this from happening?

Went to play some tennis with my dad this evening, and after parking and locking the car, I put my car keys into my backpack then walked to the court.

Fast forward a couple hours, walking back to the car I managed to lock myself out after throwing my backpack in the trunk.

Here are the exact steps I took that caused this:

1) Walk up to rear of car with keys in backpack
2) Open trunk by hand, keys still in backpack (did not click "unlock")
3) Throw backpack into trunk
4) Press trunk close button on the trunk door
5) Trunk closes, no flashing lights, no audible locking beep
6) Drivers door is locked, in fact all doors are locked
7) Trunk is locked, will not open by hand. Keys are in backpack in trunk.
8) All doors are locked, trunk is locked, gas cap locked, red alarm light is flashing on the rearview mirror.

No battery issues with the keys at all, so I dont understand how this simple act could result in being locked out. Imagine luggage, purse, backpacks that contains the keys going into the trunk causing an immediate lock out.

In the future, is there any solution to this?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I didn't think it was possible.
      07-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Plenty of people seem to have had this issue, enough that there is a class action suit about it.

Solution.... keep the key on your person, not in a bag.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I've done this before...left the key in my gym bag. I called my wife to drop off the spare key, she brought the spare key to her car accidently. Both of us ended up late for work and I didn't get into my car until the next day.

I was super grumpy that it was possible for it to happen.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y13LD View Post

In the future, is there any solution to this?
As stated above...try to remember to keep the key on you (like in your pocket) or outside the vehicle. I try to NEVER lay the keys down inside the trunk or cargo area.

But most of all...I ALWAYS unlock the doors first when loading anything into the trunk or cargo area so in case I do forget and set the keys down inside...the car is UNLOCKED if I accidentally close the trunk or tailgate.

If I'm not driving off...then I relock the vehicle.

I did this "behavior modification" years ago...prior to owning a BMW that had comfort access. And even though CA is supposed to prevent this unfortunate scenario...it apparently fails to be 100% accurate because there has been multiple posts like yours. So I've decided to continue doing what I outlined above...just to prevent getting locked out.

Just unlock the vehicle if loading stuff in...then when done, re-lock the car and go about your business. This will prevent getting locked out of the vehicle. And I follow this same procedure if going into the cabin from the passenger side. You don't have the protection of the lock-out feature (the driver's door won't lock until it is closed)...so always keep the key in your pocket and don't lock the car manually...use the remote so that you know the key is outside the vehicle when it locks.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

So true, I learned similar behavior years ago, when I had a car with an aftermarket alarm that auto-locked again after something like 2 minutes. I remember an occasion where I had been snowboarding, unlocked the car and set my keys on the seat, and luckily opened the hatch right away. Had to crawl through the car to grab my keys, luckily it was a decent amount of space.
Had a friend do basically the same thing, but my wife had to crawl though the "ski hole" in his Honda Prelude, so we were lucky she was small enough to fit.

On the same subject, the wife is in town visiting, and has taken my car to get around a bit while I am at work during the day, since my other car is out of commission right now, and she is having a hard time with the comfort access idea. I was at least smart enough to toss my extra fob in my bag, so if she gets in trouble I can help a little faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I've done this before...left the key in my gym bag. I called my wife to drop off the spare key, she brought the spare key to her car accidently. Both of us ended up late for work and I didn't get into my car until the next day.

I was super grumpy that it was possible for it to happen.
Sounds like something my wife would do...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #8
anthocleod
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M328

Ohh man, that sounds really awkward. I mean, how could this act close the damn car? I also had a similar experience when the car decided to get locked while I was outside. But, it was the 2008 e70 X5m. I was lucky, as I could open the door quickly, but I have no idea how you should do that with the newer versions. I was in Grand Prairie when it happened to me, and I called for the services of the best locksmith in Grand Prairie. He opened the door in less than 5 minutes. But with the F15/F85 or G05, it would be much more demanding.

Last edited by anthocleod; 10-27-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
rosestewar
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

locked car

I had locked myself out of my car too. But the key inside was the only one I had so I had to get a new one. I had found an article named "Locksmiths near you," and I opened the page. I later asked them to code a new one for me. They did in a day. The only way to prevent this situation from happening again is to keep the key to yourself. And unlock the doors before opening the trunk. By that, none of this would happen. Before putting something in the trunk, I try to always open it first. You should try those.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
Losgalos
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6

Trunk will open manually with alarm activated and doors locked with key on your person ,im guessing once trunk closed there was major interference so vehicle couldnt read the key.
I believe the CA antennas are placed within exterior shell of vehicle.
Appreciate 0