XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
friendlystart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5i M-sport,E24 M635i,E34 535i

Garage List
Valve Stem Leaking after Valve Stem Replacement by Dealer

Hi,

Recently changed all plugs and ignition coils due to multiple misfires. Car ran ok for 60 miles then got misfires again. Pull the plugs and they were soaked in oil again. Had a Indy check it out and the scoped the engine and found the valve stem leaking. Dealer supposedly replaced the valve stem in June 2019, I know they tried to get an engine replacement from BMW who denied replacing the engine. Still had smoking and oil consumption after the valve stem job and returned to dealer who just ignored my complaint.

Now car has 124,000 miles and is a 2012 and time period of the recall has expired. Just contacted BMW about this issue. Should the valve stem be leaking again if they were installed properly and is there a course of action I can take with BMW.

Attached are photos of the leaking of the valve stem and you call also see oil leaking in the cylinders.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:50 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

That is an insane amount of oil, even if the dealer did you dirty and never really replaced your valve stem seals. I would be highly suspect of your turbo charger oil return lines. Mine clogged when I first got my 50i. If they are clogged, your charge pipes and intercoolers will be dripping with oil. Pull one of the charge pipes and inspect. Check all of your CCV lines too to make sure no cracks/leaks.

If the turbos check out ok, then do a cylinder leak down test to make sure no piston ring issues. If this checks the valve stem seals only possible cause left. Setting up a custom catch can setup with adjustable vacuum valves to increase crank case vacuum will buy you time and greatly decrease smoking but only true fix is valve steam seals, if it comes to this I highly doubt the dealer even did them the first time
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:56 PM   #3
friendlystart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5i M-sport,E24 M635i,E34 535i

Garage List
I also just replaced the turbo charger oil return lines and housing along with both CCV.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
vatechguy3
Rep
Drives: Chevy Camaro

Any updates?

Tony
Appreciate 0