XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

02-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
Mrathell
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i / 2011 X6 50i

error codes 2A98 & 2A99 possible vanos issue?

I'll start by saying I use Carly and Foxwell NT530 to pull codes.

So almost two weeks ago on my 2010 BMW X6 50i I replace the lower (exhaust) vanos solenoid on the passenger side. Everything went fine and the 002A7A (vanos outlet cold start) pending error went away and never came back. I also clean the upper vanos screens as well. I didn't have a CEL but it did show up as a pending code. I had no issues with car prior to changing the solenoid.

Then there days ago I changed the oil after about 2000 miles because 5w40 was put in by an indy shop. I replaced it with Mobile 1 0w30. Replaced the filter as well with a WIX. I also replaced the transaxle fluid and reset the adaptation.

The next morning I drove to work about 25 miles and it drives beautiful. After work I started it up and immediately the check engine light came on and it went into reduced power mode.

I got 002AC7 (Vanos intake cold start), 002A98 ( intake crankshaft - camshaft reference), 002A99 (crankshaft - exhaust reference). There was also a misfire on #4.

Next I replaced the upper vanos solenoid Passenger side), validated the oil filler cap was properly seated and replaced the oil filter from a WIX to a Mahle to make sure I installed it correctly. I also replaced the large o-ring on the oil filter housing. I also replaced the #4 ignition coil and the misfire went away.

But 002A98 & 002A99 still returns immediately and stays in reduced power mode.

One thing I noticed as looking at DIY videos of others changing the oil in the 50i engines was that there seems to be something large and circular at the bottom (inside) of their oil filter housing cap that the filter snaps on to. I didn't have that in my oil filter housing cap. I'm assuming the indy shop failed to remove it from the old oil filter when they tossed it. So I ordered a new oil filter cap housing and replaced it. The car ran a tad bit better but the same codes returned and stayed in reduced power mode.

When I turn on the car it runs great but after maybe 5 seconds the reduced power light comes on and it still runs fine but the half power is noticeable.

Live data of Vanos while engine running using Foxwell NT530

Testing Vanos while the engine is running using Foxwell NT530

Last edited by Mrathell; 02-18-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Mrathell
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i / 2011 X6 50i

No luck with the indy shop. They have great reviews and their focus are European cars with a lot of BMW's waiting in line to be worked on.

This was the first time I took my car to a shop in about 30 years and I was less than impressed.

I took them a one page letter listing the history of the issue my X is having, what I've done and what I've replaced. After having my car for a week, they call to ask what issues I've experienced and what have I done.....clearly didn't refer to my letter.

Later that day they called to say they would need to remove both valve covers to see if the chain skipped a tooth or if a valve is stuck. He said it would be an additional $1400 to remove the valve covers and the $1400 wouldn't include the labor it would take to research the issue after the valve covers were removed. $1400 + the amount for what they've already done + the additional cost for further diagnosis and that's only for exploratory work with no guarantees that will point them to anything.

Needless to say, I told them I would be pick it up.

So I paid them the $268 for what they did/didn't do and took my car. They charged me $268 to do less diagnosis than I did for free in my garage. The mechanic told me he switched the vanos solenoids and checked the oil filter cap. I did both of those (45 minutes to switch the vanos solenoid and 5 minutes to check the oil filter cap).

He mentions nothing about checking the cam shaft positioning sensors, nothing about the non-return valve that is located above the timing chain tensioner. Did he even consider checking it to make sure the valve is not clogged and the ball and spring did not hang up? I doubt it.

Shouldn't he know to check to see if there is a TSB associated with this issue? I don't think so.

I lost confidence in them when the mechanic told me he only checked the easily Googled low hanging fruit items. Plus he failed to check or suggest checking the other items prior to wanting to move to the big ticket items.

I wouldn't of mind paying the $1400 if it was the path to resolution but all they were offering was to pay them to hunt and peck.. I can do that on my own for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
Clovus6981
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi pre lci

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I’m getting the same codes on my n63. U said something about a non return valve? I’m looking for info to fix my x5. I recently replaced bank 1 cyl head with a machine shop reman. New valve seals etc… I also replaced the exhaust vanos solenoid and both camshaft adjusters on bank 1. Still having issue. And help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0