XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

New plugs and coils

I had the drivetrain and engine malfunction messages for a while and finally got the X6 into the shop. Both messages were coming from bad plugs and coils according to the shop. There was a cylinder misfire error code that came up when scanned.

The mechanic showed me the old plugs and the gap on them was over 0.042"!

He installed the 97506 at 0.020" and said it is running like a monster now, way more power!

I have a 2010 with 67,000 kilometres. ESS tune and catless downpipes. The plugs were carbon covered with huge gaps.

I drove home about 30 kilometres and it does feel much better than before. Stomping the pedal pushes me back into my seat. I was on the highway and floored it, went from about 90km to 140km no problem but there was a big puff of black smoke. The shop said it's most likely due to being tuned and catless. They didn't think it's related to valve stems.

One thing I noticed is that while I was driving in sport mode, the info on the dash stayed between 4-5 kilometres per litre! Ouch!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Time to get oil catch cans
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanle View Post
I had the drivetrain and engine malfunction messages for a while and finally got the X6 into the shop. Both messages were coming from bad plugs and coils according to the shop. There was a cylinder misfire error code that came up when scanned.

He installed the 97506 at 0.020" and said it is running like a monster now, way more power!

I have a 2010 with 67,000 kilometres. ESS tune and catless downpipes. The plugs were carbon covered with huge gaps.

I drove home about 30 kilometres and it does feel much better than before. Stomping the pedal pushes me back into my seat. I was on the highway and floored it, went from about 90km to 140km no problem but there was a big puff of black smoke. The shop said it's most likely due to being tuned and catless. They didn't think it's related to valve stems.

One thing I noticed is that while I was driving in sport mode, the info on the dash stayed between 4-5 kilometres per litre! Ouch!
Nice! How do you like the X6? What model is it? Hybrid? I thought those were only in the 2017 and newer models? I've got the 2010 X5M and it misfires only when warm. I fired it up this morning, raced it right away, and ZERO misfire, but was doing it every time I started it up yesterday. Could it be plugs? I've never changed them, but they looked good last time I checked them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanle View Post

Nice! How do you like the X6? What model is it? Hybrid? I thought those were only in the 2017 and newer models? I've got the 2010 X5M and it misfires only when warm. I fired it up this morning, raced it right away, and ZERO misfire, but was doing it every time I started it up yesterday. Could it be plugs? I've never changed them, but they looked good last time I checked them.
I have a 2010 activehybrid so it's the N63 with electric battery. I've had random drivetrain and engine malfunction messages over the years which usually resolve themselves with a restart. I had the N63 campaign done and just now did the plugs and coils after 10 years and 67,000 kilometres. The factory plugs were trash and a few of the coils weren't working. Since the service it has been running great. I don't know much about the misfire but mine was related to the plugs and coils. Yours is a 2010 as well, it couldn't hurt to change the plugs and coils.
Appreciate 0