XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-30-2024, 11:03 PM   #1
Z06Luke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35D

35D Cranks But Won't Start

I just replaced VCG & Water Pump on my 2010 E70 with 170k miles. It was running fine when I pulled it into the shop, other than a drip from the water pump and the VCG leaking oil near the turbos.

After the job was complete I used ISTA to bleed the fuel system and the fuel pump would not energize. After some troubleshooting I determined that the LPFP was getting voltage, but was not coming on. Today I received my new pump and installed it. I triggered a bleed procedure and heard it come on and I assumed it would be smooth sailing from there, but I was wrong.

After bleeding the engine cranks but will never fire. The only codes I have are:

- 4987 DDE: Exhaust Backpressure sensor before catalytic converter, signal
- 4949 DDE: Glow System, Configuration

I don't believe that either of these would cause a no-start situation, and my glow plugs have been inoperable for a few years and I just haven't worried about it because it doesn't often get much below freezing here.

I am at my wits end with this issue. I have no idea what to do from here for troubleshooting. Any ideas would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 07:04 AM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

How long were you letting it crank for? It takes a while but I wouldn't just let it crank for minutes at a time.

First off double check all the hard fuel lines, a slightly loose nut will cause no start.

I think the fuel bleed procedure only bleeds the low pressure system, so the fuel rail and hard lines still need to be purged through cranking. The trick I read was to loosen the hard line on cyl 1 and have someone crank until you get diesel coming out, then tighten it up and you're almost fully bled.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:05 AM   #3
Z06Luke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35D

I cranked at least 30 seconds to a minute. I've done similar disassembly in the past but have never had this issue. I will try loosening one of the injector lines while cranking today.
Appreciate 0