XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

08-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
slobo7x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550 F10

Camshaft QR code and installation

hey guys, I posted this in a 3 series as it's a N55 engine but I figured I'd give it a shot here.

I'm the middle of putting pieces back together on my N55 engine. I've replaced the lifters on the exhaust side and I'm getting ready to install the cams with lobes back into the head. Oem Bmw lifters, all rocker arms in their correct positions on the valve springs.

I had the QR bar code pointing up on both cams prior to removal of the timing chain, after the removal of cam sprockets they were still pointing up at 12 o'clock. I have the timing lock tool kit that's like a bridge and cam locks go on them.
Removed the cam ledges with cams from the engine and it was still pointing up. No problems.

I cannot for the life of me set them back down in 12 o'clock position, it wants to go back to like 30 degrees left then it will sit somewhat flush with the head.. what am I missing here?? Nothing was moved on the intake side, pulley was not touched in anyway.

Thanks for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
slobo7x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550 F10

Turns out I have to compress valve springs on cylinder 2, in order to install the exhaust camshaft back at tdc.

Man what a pain!
Appreciate 1
argento538.00