XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-29-2024, 10:48 AM   #1
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How do I FULLY disable Traction Control and DSC?

Vehicle in question: 2011 BMW x5 35d
Firstly, yes, I know that holding the traction control button for ~3 seconds turns the traction control and stability control "off." However, it's not truly off.
Every time I try hooning around in the snow (especially drifting), the traction control cuts power and the stability control goes bonkers.
I have reached out to XHP but they said that their flash is only for the transmission module and won't change the traction and stability control modules.
I know this is a silly request, but drifting around in the snow is the most fun one can have in a car... I would like to turn it all the way off.
And seriously BMW, why do you let lawyers run your company? Ultimate snow drifting machines my ass.....

I'll be picking a tune and doing a delete soon. I'm hoping that one of the tuning companies can do this? I'd also like some coding done as well... Any shops in the PNW do this work? DUDMD appears to no longer do delete tunes.

Pic of my smokin babe for attention.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-02-2024, 03:10 PM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

We have 3 dsc setting. On which is all the nannies. Traction, which is just pushing the traction control button, this allows some wheel spin but doesn’t let you get out of control side to side. Then you hold it down and traction is off “fully”. I think to full disable it from interfering you would need to do something like unplug the abs sensors, which could get you those one tire friers.

The problem with our e70 x5s is it’s an open differential that’s electronically controlled. So if you’re drifting around and it senses one tire spinning too fast it’ll brake and to send the power to the other tire. Really the only way I think this could be fixed to allow you to drift more reliably without the e-diff constantly interfering is swap in an x5m drivetrain/harness and code it, like someone on here has done, or install an lsd in the rear differential which is available. The lsd would probably feel better drifting around though because the x5m differential is still controlled electronically but managed mechanically, where as the lsd is all mechanical which will probably lead to more predictability. I have no experience with the x5m differential though so it might feel just as natural
      03-06-2024, 06:26 AM   #3
Cnoro
Private
Albania
Rep
Drives: Bmw e70 4.0d xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberjj View Post
Vehicle in question: 2011 BMW x5 35d
Firstly, yes, I know that holding the traction control button for ~3 seconds turns the traction control and stability control "off." However, it's not truly off.
Every time I try hooning around in the snow (especially drifting), the traction control cuts power and the stability control goes bonkers.
I have reached out to XHP but they said that their flash is only for the transmission module and won't change the traction and stability control modules.
I know this is a silly request, but drifting around in the snow is the most fun one can have in a car... I would like to turn it all the way off.
And seriously BMW, why do you let lawyers run your company? Ultimate snow drifting machines my ass.....

I'll be picking a tune and doing a delete soon. I'm hoping that one of the tuning companies can do this? I'd also like some coding done as well... Any shops in the PNW do this work? DUDMD appears to no longer do delete tunes.

Pic of my smokin babe for attention.
Try to remove the drive shaft assy front ( under the car is the one from the transfer case to the engine) and your e70 will be no more 4wheel drive but just 2wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:53 AM   #4
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: I've been researching this and here's what I found so far.
Per XHP, the trans tune has nothing to do with the traction or stability control modules.
Per Keir Parsons of Aftermath tuning (also confirmed by DUDMD), a DME tune also won't change the traction or stability control modules.
However, Keir Parsons told me that via Protool (or similar), I can code out the brake pad heating protection. There may be other electrical nannies, but I hope to get to the bottom of this via Protool.
My theory is because we have an open diff (electrically controlled), the brake pads are heating up when I'm slideways and then shutting the fun down. Time will tell.
I have ordered a Stage 1 DUDMD tune as well as Protool. I'll do a Stage 2 once I'm able to get a downpipe, but they're on backorder from VRSF and ATM.
Appreciate 1
wcs53196.50
      03-06-2024, 11:57 AM   #5
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Thanks for looking into this so thoroughly and would love to hear if you come up with a solution. Its something that has bothered me so I looked into briefly after getting an ECU tune and TCU tune (xhp). I'm assuming that you've looked into xdelete by xhp as well - that is something I havent really read too much into.

If we got more snow in PA I would definitely be more actively searching for a solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:45 PM   #6
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
Thanks for looking into this so thoroughly and would love to hear if you come up with a solution. Its something that has bothered me so I looked into briefly after getting an ECU tune and TCU tune (xhp). I'm assuming that you've looked into xdelete by xhp as well - that is something I havent really read too much into.

If we got more snow in PA I would definitely be more actively searching for a solution.
To be fair, the x5 35d is already one of the best vehicles I've ever driven in the snow. I have a dedicated wheel and tire setup (with Michelin X-Ice tires) for the winter. It truly is a beast and gets me anywhere I reasonably need to go. This whole exercise is because I'm a child and want to be able to drift damnit! It lets me drift some, but I can feel it reeling me back in once I've been drifting/hooning for a few seconds.
I was looking to upgrade vehicles recently, but my wife actually put it in my head to just "upgrade" the x5 a bit and keep it for another 3 to 5 years. So I'm going to spend some money fixing some of the quirks that have always bugged me... Plus, anytime my wife gives me the green light to spend $4k modifying my car...

Upcoming mods:

Immediately:
Stage 1 DUDMD tune
Protool coding

In the next few months"
Catted downpipe
ABC delete
Stage 2 DUDMD tune
Trans tune
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:31 AM   #7
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, the x5 35d is already one of the best vehicles I've ever driven in the snow. I have a dedicated wheel and tire setup (with Michelin X-Ice tires) for the winter. It truly is a beast and gets me anywhere I reasonably need to go. This whole exercise is because I'm a child and want to be able to drift damnit! It lets me drift some, but I can feel it reeling me back in once I've been drifting/hooning for a few seconds.
I was looking to upgrade vehicles recently, but my wife actually put it in my head to just "upgrade" the x5 a bit and keep it for another 3 to 5 years. So I'm going to spend some money fixing some of the quirks that have always bugged me... Plus, anytime my wife gives me the green light to spend $4k modifying my car...

Upcoming mods:

Immediately:
Stage 1 DUDMD tune
Protool coding

In the next few months"
Catted downpipe
ABC delete
Stage 2 DUDMD tune
Trans tune
I recommend the santjer tune. Might be more expensive but miles better of a tune than dudmd
jbash87249.50
      03-07-2024, 11:00 AM   #8
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
I recommend the santjer tune. Might be more expensive but miles better of a tune than dudmd
Why do you say that? I've never even heard or Santjer.
Ultimately I chose DUDMD because I've heard plenty of good reviews, and his brother will likely be doing the labor (installing the dp and egr delete) for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 07:20 AM   #9
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why do you say that? I've never even heard or Santjer.
Ultimately I chose DUDMD because I've heard plenty of good reviews, and his brother will likely be doing the labor (installing the dp and egr delete) for me.
I tend to lean towards tuning companies that make the most power reliably. Santjer hands down has the best tune at any level. They have a highly modified street legal 335d doing high 9s @ 143mph, then an x5d with hybrid lp turbo, dual fuel pumps and 100% injectors doing mid 11s @ 117mph. Both on fuel only. I think you’d be hard pressed to find any of the other tuners getting near him even with adding adding meth or nitrous.
jbash87249.50
      03-08-2024, 11:08 AM   #10
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
I've heard good things about DUDMD and he is local so if he (or his brother) is doing the work it would be more convenient. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I went with Santjer because of a couple conversations I had with him, and him stating that he prioritizes a clean tune, rather than just dumping fuel and hoping the air can catch up. AKA rolling coal. I absolutely love the tune.

Hit me up if you're ever in the Seattle area and want to compare.
Appreciate 1
RL18273.50
      03-08-2024, 11:31 AM   #11
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
I've heard good things about DUDMD and he is local so if he (or his brother) is doing the work it would be more convenient. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I went with Santjer because of a couple conversations I had with him, and him stating that he prioritizes a clean tune, rather than just dumping fuel and hoping the air can catch up. AKA rolling coal. I absolutely love the tune.

Hit me up if you're ever in the Seattle area and want to compare.
Well I definitely prioritize a clean tune and reliability as well. In fact, I'd like to be able to tow. I've heard lots of good things about the DUDMD stage 2 tune as well, so it'll be interesting to compare.
I'll be up in the Lakewood area getting the work done, maybe we can meet up after?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:00 AM   #12
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Well I definitely prioritize a clean tune and reliability as well. In fact, I'd like to be able to tow. I've heard lots of good things about the DUDMD stage 2 tune as well, so it'll be interesting to compare.
I'll be up in the Lakewood area getting the work done, maybe we can meet up after?
PM me.
Appreciate 0