XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-14-2023, 05:52 PM   #1
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

Exclamation Need Help: Issues After Engine Swap

Have been searching but really not finding anything that can help with the issues I'm having, so making this post.

Try to keep a long story short here.

In-laws 2011 X5 xDrive 35i spun a rod bearing as he put the wrong oil in it (didn't have BMW LL-01 spec, coupled with aggressive driving)....
Car had 220,000 KMs on it when the bearing spun but otherwise had no issues.

Picked up a used N55 with only 112,000 KM on it for $6000 CAD from a very reputable shop (we also heard the engine running at idle before buying it).
Changed some key gaskets before putting engine in (pan, OFHG, OCHG, VCG).

Engine started up no problem after the swap... however, we seem to be having some ridiculous electrical issues.

First it was triggering knock sensors, so I swapped out the knock sensors and put fresh fuel in the car, that seemed to solve that problem.

Car was running good at this point but

It was throwing code:
2CFF lambda probe in front of catalyst, signal cables short to positive

So I thought the upstream o2 sensor had failed because at one point we were hitting an exhaust bracket near it to try and get it to line-up with the mounting point.

Replaced the o2 sensor, code still there.... and now the car is running like shit, rough idle, stalls out.
Reset adaptations in ISTA and that seemed to fix the rough running issues but the code was still there.

So I found some corrosion at the connector on the harness-side, cleaned that up.... code still there.

So where that harness plugs into the DME I found some sketchy looking pins, like 1/3rd of the harness had been overheated a bit.
So I swapped that entire section of the harness since we had an extra one from the original engine......

Now the car is throwing codes:
2CFF lambda probe in front of catalyst, short to positive
300C intake camshaft sensor, electric: short to positive
2C58 boost pressure control: shutdown as a follow-up reaction

Now the car will barely run again, even worse than before, stalls & shuts itself off.....

(by the way, the intake camshaft sensor is not even part of the harness section that I swapped out..... so why the hell did that decide to show up after swapping that section of harness is anybody's guess....)

Battery is also brand new as we bought a new one during the engine swap.

Also, oddly, the car doesn’t want to connect to several modules in ISTA when it is running. For example, with ignition on but engine off it seems to connect to the transmission module fine, but with the engine running I get communication errors and it won’t connect.

I'm not certain as I've never chased-down short-to-positive problems before, especially ones that weren't there before an engine swap and don't want to disappear despite swapping an entire section of the engine harness.....

I think I could have issues with:
voltage regulator on alternator (weird that it randomly decided to fail now)

red casing that sits on top of battery (apparently this has an irreplaceable fuse in it?)

Battery (but its brand new, very weird)

And yes, we did 'register' the new battery when it was installed..

What else could it be and/or am I right about the voltage regulator/red casing on top of battery? how can I test them?

any help is greatly appreciated... so far the car is winning this battle lol

thank you

Last edited by Opo; 08-14-2023 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
MEWANTSACOOKIE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E70

I am having similar issues,

heres the codes I have
300E Exhaust cam sensor short to battery
300F Exhaust cam sensor short to ground
300C intake cam sensor short to battery
300D intake cam short to ground
2DD6 valvetronic motor position sensor circuit short or open,

Sorry I dont have an answer as I am trying to figure it out myself,
im going to replace the valvetronic motor and hope that clears the issue,
I have checked wiring and both sensor on intake and exhaust cam and cannot find the issue, the cam sensor wires run directly to the DME
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 10:56 PM   #3
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Ugh the headache, I feel for you.

Are you using the original ECU from the car or the ECU that came with the motor?

In ISTA, I believe there is a setting to force a resync with all modules . Try to find that
      03-08-2024, 10:36 AM   #4
MattKnudy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i E70 N55

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I can't create a new thread yet, so I'm posting here.

I'm helping a friend with a similar project as above, starting today. His 2013 X5 E70 N55 supposedly spun a rod bearing. So he purchased a 2016 X5 N55 engine on Ebay for a replacedment. We have read through a lot of postings about all the stuff that needs to be swapped but I'm posting here to hopefully get more insights as to what we may run into. Here are some of the things I'm pretty sure have to be swapped over:

1. Turbo Unit
2. Oil Pan
3. Fuel Injectors
4. Possibly fuel pump, though looking at parts online it looks like they may use the same one but maybe just have a different connector.
5. Crank pulley
6. DME
7. Wiring harnesses

I've also read the Valvetronic will have to be reset. He's buying a cheap $60 Autel MaxiAP AP200 programming tool on Amazon that will hopefully allow us to reprogram the stuff that needs to get done.

The new engine has 58k miles so we are also considered changed out the rod bearings. Will probably decided after getting oil pan off. Both engines will be on stands to make swapping parts easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have some experience with taking things apart but nothing quite to this level. Leaning heavily on Youtube videos and message boards to get this done.
Appreciate 0