XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-05-2024, 03:17 PM   #1
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Excessive Crankcase Pressure Opinions Reqeusted

So this morning I dropped by 2013 X5 N55 off at the garage to get my snow tires swapped out. I normally do most things on my car, but since I needed the tires swapped from the wheels, I couldn't do that. It was a new garage not too far from my house so I figured I would give them a chance. They seemed to get good reviews from what I could tell.

The car was running perfectly prior to dropping it off, but when I go pick it up, the shop say the valve cover/PVC valve needs replace since its making noise and there is excessive crankcase pressure. I thought maybe it was just making a slight noise that I never noticed, but once I start driving it was very noticeable. The RPM are also fluctuating at idle, which it never did before.

I hard a hard time believing its just a coincidence these issues just started the exact time I dropped it off.

The valve cover gasket have been replace before at the dealership in February of 2020, and about 35k miles ago, so it seems a little to short of period for it to go bad.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Is there some way they could have just purposely did something to mess it up so they could generate some additional work for themselves? Anything else I should check or anything? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 12:16 PM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

How many miles on the valve cover itself (it seems like it was gasket only 35k miles ago)? Apparently the n55 valve covers have multiple PCVs so maybe it is best to do at some point if youre going to keep the car for a while.

Personally, before replacing the entire valve cover I would maybe try replacing/cleaning up the easiest to get to PCV if youre a DIYer. A torn PCV diaphragm will cause rough idle but dont know if this style will cause excess crankcase pressure.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758775
Appreciate 0