XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

01-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #1
AlbertaCanada
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw x6

Exclamation 2018 BMW X6 engine fail

Hello,

I'm new to the forum
I live in cold Alberta, Canada.

I'm looking for some opinion, and perhaps someone that has been in similar situation.

I have 2018 BMW X6, under extended warranty (up to 160k). Currently I'm at 120k.

I've had the car since 2019. I did not have any issues until last week.

Last week, after leaving work (it was cold -30) my Car started and died right away. First I thought, perhaps battery is low, but it did not seem like it because power was on. Just to be safe, I tried to boost it, by mobile booster and later by another vehicle. Car did not start.

Two messages came up: first one that said: "Battery discharging while stopped, start engine, if fault persists, consul service center"; and another one, 20 minutes later after trying to boost it "BWM Road Side assistance, It is not possible to restart the engine, please call roadside assistance".

To note here, My car is always parked in the insulated garage, and the only time it is parked outside is when I'm parked at work (25 - 30 min drive to work) Never had this issue before, not last winter (when car started with no issues at -40) and winter before that.

The car is under the warranty, was always serviced on time by the BMW service (BMW BAVARIA EDMONTON). I got it towed to the service. They run diagnostics etc, told me the bearing and rotor is messed up. They submit the claim to BMW Warranty (BMW Guard Warranty). I have a platinum warranty up to 160k which means pretty much bumper to bumper, any issues that occur they fix, unless it is my fault.

I don't see it being my fault. I was told it is not recommended to have a block heater installed, I was even told it would be hard to install it. I was told those cars should start in cold weather with no problems.

Now I was told by service that car will need a new engine (they said $36,000) need to order from Germany. Meanwhile, the BMW Safe Guard warranty company asked service to provide pictures and all the findings, as well as history of maintenance. Now they have asked for my consent open the engine to look inside and snap more pictures. I was told it will cost me $1500 to open it up. I said go ahead... now questions I have are:
1. has anyone here been in similar situation? What was the outcome?
2. shouldn't warranty cover the $1,500?

I think what they trying to do is trying to find a way to say it is my fault, which it is not, because as mentioned earlier, the car has always took premium, and any maintenance has always been done on time through BMW Bavaria service under another warranty I have which is service warranty.

Also, what is the bets option? fix the car, have a new engine, and keep driving ( I don't mind it if fixing is not out of my pocket), or sell the car if for some reason I need to split the costs or cover it all?

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you
Appreciate 0