XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

What's it worth???!!!

So...

My X5M is back and running strong after some gremlins overcome...

She's a 2010 with a build date in July - Currently has 83k miles, but motor is at 550 miles and seems to be an amazing Ghassan build

The motor is completely refreshed with:
the stock crank
forged rods and pistons
all gaskets and seals replaced
valve stem seals replaced
all the coolant and vacuum hoses replaced
new ground wires
Index 12 injectors
xHP Transmission Stage 3 Flash
New FRM
New CIC
New Fuel Pump
Oil Cap Breather
Water Wetter in I/C and Radiator
Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills
Brushed Aluminum and Piano Black Interior

Previously:
Front driveshaft was replaced
Agency Power downpipes minus kitty
K&N Drop ins
Turbo Blankets
Downpipes Heat Wrapped
X-Pipe
Megan Muffler
LED interior lights all swapped
LED exterior lights
Angel Eye Cree installed

Will have:
Carbon fiber front lip
Carbon fiber rear diffuser
Carbon Wrapped Roof and Back Spoiler
Next gen drilled rotors - Front and Rear
New brake pads
Paint Matched Calipers
Some reputable tune
New Plastics in the Engine Bay

All this in mind... If you saw this example available for sale; what would it be worth in your minds?

I'm likely driving this thing through the two year warranty period that it has from Gee, but if it's worth more than my approximate guess I might consider turning it before it begins it's inevitable harder depreciation.

Fire away! You won't be hurting my feelings.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

At the end of the day, your vehicle is worth book value. Mods upgrade doesn’t increase value, may decrease if anything(most people don’t like vehicles that has been fiddle with). Alot of used Bmw have new engines and tons of warranty work with new parts and with that being said, it does not increase the value in any way. Just giving the new owner peace of mind at the price value.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
^^^^^^
For the most part true. I would be willing to pay up to maybe 50% of the value of the new engine. You would never get the full price of the additional work.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
At the end of the day, your vehicle is worth book value. Mods upgrade doesn’t increase value, may decrease if anything(most people don’t like vehicles that has been fiddle with). Alot of used Bmw have new engines and tons of warranty work with new parts and with that being said, it does not increase the value in any way. Just giving the new owner peace of mind at the price value.
+1

The buyer will only offer you what the KBB or the similar vehicles are priced at. You may have done 20 grand worth of work in it but if it is valued at 15 grand , you will get only 15 grand.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I would totally buy into that... But we've seen exceptional work get compensation back in exceptional tallies already here. I'm not inclined to believe this should be any different.

And again... If this is the consensus and no one is willing to acknowledge the gremlins already resolved would be worth more than the next autotrader gamble, I'd just drive it until my newborns graduation.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

There are two types of buyers, one to whom the purchase price means a lot regardless of how much they pay afterwards. The other group would rather pay more upfront for a nicely well maintained car than spending time and money on sorting out what they just bought

I always pay more for my cars but then I always buy well maintained and well cared for cars. Yours is a very nice car with most issues sorted out. In my opinion, your car is and should be valued more than the usual KBB to the right person

I remember mentioning the KBB value to the guy I bought mine from and he couldn't help but laugh at me.

Last edited by quick; 04-29-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #7
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
I would totally buy into that... But we've seen exceptional work get compensation back in exceptional tallies already here. I'm not inclined to believe this should be any different.

And again... If this is the consensus and no one is willing to acknowledge the gremlins already resolved would be worth more than the next autotrader gamble, I'd just drive it until my newborns graduation.
Not a consensus at all. A brand new engine WILL add value to KBB book price to a discerning buyer, specially to an old platform as the E70. You're just not going to get full value for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post

That should be your aim if you are pouring money into an old car. Not to resell it.

I would never pay more. Too many choices and there is NO guarantee the owner is telling the truth or vouching for his TLC
Appreciate 0