XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
nbhms
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

Question turn off steering wheel auto movement

Hello,

Just bought a 2011 X5 (my first BMW), and learning as I go.

One question I can't find the answer to, is there a way to turn off the auto-movement of the steering wheel when turning the vehicle on and off? I found the setting under "locking" to turn off seat movement, but I can't find anything for the steering wheel.

My 2008 Infiniti G35x has separate settings for the seat and wheel "convenience" movement, and after owning the car for a while I turned them off as it just annoys me.

After buying this X5 and experiencing it again, I'm reminded of how much it annoys me. But can't seem to find anywhere on the X5 to turn the steering wheel movement off.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Pretty sure its not an option via the "car" interface. I have not seen this coding option in my Carly tool, almost certain this cannot be coded there. Have not seen it in my Bimmergeeks Protool either, but could be hidden somewhere in the long list of coding options. I'll try and look soon and report back.
      09-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Muzimak
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=612180
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
nbhms
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Thanks. Looks like I need to buy a cable and learn to use NCS Expert.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The Bimmergeeks Protool will be able to do this, has the same capabilities as NCS expert but a much more user friendly interface. You’ll still need a cable and an android device, does not run on IOS.
      10-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
nbhms
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker325 View Post
The Bimmergeeks Protool will be able to do this, has the same capabilities as NCS expert but a much more user friendly interface. You’ll still need a cable and an android device, does not run on IOS.
Got a cable and used BimmerGeeks. Took a while to find the codes in ProTool, but I found it (if I recall, they were under "Climate" for some reason). They also are in the "expert" section, not the "common" or "standard" section.

For anyone else reading this, I could not set the ELSV_EH_LAENGE setting in BimmerGeeks ProTool until I had set ELSV_EH_NEIGUNG, started the engine (full start), and then powered off. At that point I could set LAENGE.

So the steps were:

1. Insert key, connect ProTool, find settings (per above, if I recall correctly it was under Climate, IHKA).

2. ELSV_EH_NEIGUNG -> aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

3. ProTool will tell you to power cycle. It's now set, but still can't set LAENGE.

4. Do a full start (engine on). Steering wheel will adjust.

5. Power off. Steering wheel will stay in place.

6. Insert key, connect ProTool, you can now set the other setting.

7. ELSV_EH_LAENGE -> aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Much happier now with driving experience. Also took the opportunity to program tailgate closing from FOB and dash, turned of legal disclaimer, etc.
      10-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nice work! Do you know if it's possible to disable the tailgate opening from the key fob? I could not find it in the "common" section. Over the last couple of years I twice walked into the garage to find the tailgate jammed up against the garage door, must have hit the button in my pocket while in the house. Would have caused some damage to the tailgate and garage door if I didn't catch it first, scary stuff.
      10-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Hey I just DL'd Protool. Haven't yet connected it to my e70, so I can't really view anything yet...
Is there any translation in the app of these german language settings, to what we can actually use? Like how the heck do you know which setting to change for the "program tailgate closing from FOB" ?
Just google everything??
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #9
nbhms
Canada
Rep

@Lunker325 Not sure. ProTool will let you code the "close tailgate from FOB" setting, which I did. Wasn't looking to turn off opening from the FOB. It looks like in "expert" mode, ProTool will do just about everything, NCS Expert will do. But I'm new to this, so not sure.

@heatmizr Seems to be a mix. Common settings people are looking for, it looks like ProTool has put in English translations. If you are looking for some of the more obscure stuff, you have to go into "expert" mode and it's the German text. For the most part, yes, Google is your friend. I found a few threads on other BMW forum sites where people have been contributing codes they've found worked.
      10-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Thanks.
Do all e70's use the same cable to connect? If yes does anyone have a link to what they used? There are a LOT of cables out there! Hard to be sure which is correct.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0