XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #45
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanaticRob View Post
Not sure if anyone is still checking in, however, I think I have the same problem but wanted to be very specific to see if my issue is simply tire related.

I have a 2012 X5 5.0. I had the 255/55/18 square setup. I changed to the 20" 611's, which I have to say look absolutely great on the truck. I did change out the fender flares and really recommend doing it. 275/40/20 on front and 315/35/20 rear with Pirelli PZero RFT tires. I've changed my TC fluid with the BMW specific version. I've changed by front and rear diff fluid. I've had the drive shaft recall completed. There is no play in the driveshaft nor the flex disc. I'm pretty certain that the truck ran fine with the 18's, however, now, I have what feels like a shuddering/vibration during acceleration only. It's smooth from 0-25, then I start to feel something like a vibration in my seat, while I accelerate from about 25 to 33 and then it disappears from 33-36. I don't have the shuddering during low speed turns, which is reported as an issue with the TC, so I feel confident it's not the TC. I have no other vibration or noise when driving highway speeds. When I coast to a stop, no vibration. During hard acceleration, I can't say that it feels worse. During light acceleration, it seems to be less noticeable, but I really have to baby it thorough the 25-35 speed range.

Seems odd that somehow it's related to tires, but with others in this post, it appears that somehow, it is. There's a lot of 20's out there, so if it's just a handful of us, it has to be the actual tire that is the problem.

Regardless, if someone else can describe how/where/when the vibration happens, it would be really helpful. I've always had success with Michelin, so I think that's what I'm going to stick with when these wear out.

Also, if anyone has had the vibration on the 20's, then changes the tires do a different brand of 20's and had it go away, please let me know.

I can almost guarantee it’s the new wheels, my problem was. About 1000 miles ago too I had to replace my front diff. Not sure if that was a direct result of running the wrong size tires for a few thousand miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #46
BMWFanaticRob
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Did you every go back to the staggered set-up? Are you still running the original 18's? Could it be something with the actual tires, or one of the rear tires? or the rims? I'm feeling it in the seat, so it has to be one of the rear's. This is totally mind blowing that it has this odd vibration only a limited speed range and only when accelerating. I can drive at 80+ and the car is completely smooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #47
Pudgypepper
Capitan Slow Mods
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5d, E89 Z4 35i, E46 330Ci

I am also experiencing a vibration issue but it is coming from the rear of my E70D. Checked all bushings and everything looks okay. Guibos look okay..Next on my list is trying new Michelin's instead of Conti DWS06. I've already had the car balanced three times on the same set of tires to no fix. I replaced two of my style 214 wheels in hopes that this would help and it did a bit, so I will replace the other two when I change the tires and see how it rides. Will report when I get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #48
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgypepper View Post
I am also experiencing a vibration issue but it is coming from the rear of my E70D. Checked all bushings and everything looks okay. Guibos look okay..Next on my list is trying new Michelin's instead of Conti DWS06. I've already had the car balanced three times on the same set of tires to no fix. I replaced two of my style 214 wheels in hopes that this would help and it did a bit, so I will replace the other two when I change the tires and see how it rides. Will report when I get the chance.
Keep us in the loop! This was a direct result of me changing the tires to ones that were the incorrect size unbeknownst to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #49
BMWFanaticRob
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Yes, please reply when you make the change of tires/rims. I know it’s not my transfer case, differentials or transmission. Somehow, it’s related to the tires, and I think it’s the rears. Whether it be the rims or tires. They are the stock staggered size 20”.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #50
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Guys, back in the spring, I changed out my OEM square set up with winter tires, for the summer set: staggered 611M reps that I provided details on earlier in this thread (Replika R184 rims in gunmetal machine face finish, 20 inch staggered, running 275 40 20 on the front and 315 35 20 on the rear, with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires).

Recall that with the winter tires and rims, my car was blissfully shudder-free. But with the summer rims and tires on the car, the shuddering on acceleration from a dead stop immediately came back, so I whipped the car over to the local dealer who diagnosed the transfer case as being the cause. Happily, my extended warranty covered the parts and labor, so I had the transfer case replaced in July, and the problem is now cured. Also, with winter approaching here, I just had the OEM 18 inch winter square setup reinstalled last week (tires are Pirelli Scorpions 255 55 18) and still, no shuddering. So it seems that for me anyway, the transfer case was the culprit.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 11-04-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #51
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Guys, back in the spring, I changed out my OEM square set up with winter tires, for the summer set: staggered 611M reps that I provided details on earlier in this thread (Replika R184 rims in gunmetal machine face finish, 20 inch staggered, running 275 40 20 on the front and 315 35 20 on the rear, with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires).

Recall that with the winter tires and rims, my car was blissfully shudder-free. But with the summer rims and tires on the car, the shuddering on acceleration from a dead stop immediately came back, so I whipped the car over to the local dealer who diagnosed the transfer case as being the cause. Happily, my extended warranty covered the parts and labor, so I had the transfer case replaced in July, and the problem is now cured. Also, with winter approaching here, I just had the OEM 18 inch winter square setup reinstalled last week (tires are Pirelli Scorpions 255 55 18) and still, no shuddering. So it seems that for me anyway, the transfer case was the culprit.
Good to hear! Glad you got it sorted. Unfortunately my x5 spun a rod bearing after doing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. I did the job myself as I have done many oil filter housing gaskets, including my e90 n54, and NEVER primed the engine before starting it for the first time and never had a problem. Guess the n55’s are a little different and you HAVE to prime the engine oil before staarting it for the first time. Although I have heard of people that say they primed the engine prior and still spun a bearing. (Not to scare anyone bc if you prime the engine several times, I’m talking 5-10 10 second cranks with say the fuel pump u plugged, it will move oil through almost the entire motor to prevent any damage on initial start up).

Long story short after this shudder issue I replaced the front diff, that was the culprit as a result of me being sold the wrong size tires. LIFE LESSON; if you are putting a staggered setup on an awd xdrive car, do yourself a favor and use a circumference calculator for the tire sizes and be sure the difference is not more than 1%. I think my difference was maybe 1. Something and it blew my front diff. Transfer case seems to be fine though.

It terms of the spun bearing I rebuilt the motor and have it back running now just working out some final kinks!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #52
shebburs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Exclamation Shuddering in 2011 BMW X535i

I bought a used BMW X5 in May, it has 144k miles on it and runs perfectly fine. Single owner and has been mostly driven on highways. I experience the same issue as OP. Vehicle shudders at low speed acceleration. I have 255/50/19 tires on all 4 wheels, but front and rear are of different brands and tread wear. Also, rear tyres are worn out slightly more than the front. Could this cause shuddering?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 01:24 PM   #53
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebburs View Post
I bought a used BMW X5 in May, it has 144k miles on it and runs perfectly fine. Single owner and has been mostly driven on highways. I experience the same issue as OP. Vehicle shudders at low speed acceleration. I have 255/50/19 tires on all 4 wheels, but front and rear are of different brands and tread wear. Also, rear tyres are worn out slightly more than the front. Could this cause shuddering?
Absolutely, I have a 335i xdrive as well and remember having different brand/same size tires on the front than I did on the rear and I experienced the “shuddering”. Also the rears were worn worse than the fronts. When I changed to 4 new same brand same size tires it went away. I also changed the transfer case fluid and put Lubegaurd Shudder fix in the transmission and that really made a world of difference.
Appreciate 0