XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
hawkku
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5M

BPM Sport tune experience/review

Hi all, I want to give back to the community by posting my experience and impressions of my BPM Sport tune upgrade.

BPM Staff:

First of all, probably the least mentioned thing when it comes to tuning these cars is the customer experience. No more than 5 minutes after placing my order, Mike from BPM called me to appreciate me for my service and offer me his cell number in case I had any questions or concerns. While that seems like a service all vendors should provide, in my experience with many other vehicles, it's uncommon. Mike was also very responsive with any questions I had (I had a lot (sorry Mike!)), and during the install he responded within 30 seconds of me asking him procedural questions which made the whole process much more comfortable for me.

Tuning process:
For those of you looking for a software upgrade and not just a piggy back ECU, the process is fairly straightforward although, unlike tuning of my other vehicles (Ford, GTR, WRX), the reading of the stock ECU file took a lot longer than I expected (although BPM's documentation clearly states it takes around 45 minutes). After the original read, which required me to keep waking my computer to prevent my Windows VM from killing the connection, programming the ECU was a 5 minute process and was very painless.

Driving impressions:
I know everyone says this, but I feel it is important to reiterate; the casual driving, mid-throttle acceleration was worth the money alone. As you all know, the stock pedal feel is quite heavy which can present to the driver like the car doesn't actually have the power it does. After the tune, the car felt much "lighter" and now requires much less input which you can't appreciate until you feel it! On to the WOT impression; Having come from a 1000 RWHP car and an 800 hp GTR I was skeptical in thinking that full throttle in this big pig would give me any enjoyment . . . WRONG. The instant torque is most noticeable and, no joke, caused my left foot to come slightly out of my sandal the first time I floored it! This modification definitely exceeded my expectations and I have a new level of appreciation for the car. Thanks a ton to Mike and BPM for providing me with a new level of daily enjoyment!

Side note - For those of you who proceed with the tune, I had to go into the iDrive settings to change the "M" mode to all sport as it seemed to default to "efficient". This is not a problem, I just want to make sure you are aware of the power deficit felt running in efficient and not to assume the tune was not that noticeable
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

Nice. Do you have down pipes? Mine are coming next week and will be getting a BPM Sport tune...

Drives: 2010 E70 X5M Carbonschwarz
Loved and lost: 07 E92 M3 Silverstone II / 96 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / 07 E84 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
hawkku
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5M

no down pipes as I don't like the caustic smell of pump gas If we could swap out our fuel systems to do E85 I would be all over it!
Appreciate 0