XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

New (to me) 2012 X5 w/some issues. Need troubleshooting advice

I'm a longtime member, and just picked up a 2012 X5 35i w/ 92k miles. I have some issues that I am trying to troubleshoot and fix, and could use some advice. Ill go through them one by one, and state what I've tried, and whatever information I have that might help people lead me into the right direction.

I do have INPA, and a copy of Rheingold, but my version of Rheingold does not have Basic Features for some reason, so I can't use it for things like testing the battery voltage, etc.

1. Shudder or vibration when turning slowly in a parking lot at low speeds - I've read quite a bit and learned this is an issue with the transfer case, and a fluid change could solve it, and if not, the dealer will install a new transfer case. I have read briefly that the issue could simply be the transfer case actuator, and a simple replacement of the plastic gear could solve the issue (or a new actuator which is far cheaper than the transfer case). I'm hoping someone can give me some more input on steps for troubleshooting, and narrowing down the issue so I am not just throwing money at the car.

2. Comfort access does not work - The comfort access does not work on any door, with either key, though the car will start without the key in the ignition. I've replaced the batteries in both remotes, and checked all the fuses, which seem to all be present and good. I do have some codes for the CAS module which I will have to post later when I get on my PC at home.

3. Battery is leaking acid from the top of the cells - My wife complained when I bought the car that it had a weird smell. I simply attributed it to the previous owners lack of cleaning the car, and didn't think much of it. We took the car to London last week (about 500 miles away), and after driving all day, about 10 minutes from our Hotel, we noticed a very bad smell in the car. We stopped at the hotel, and traced it to the battery, which was hot to the touch, and leaking acid from under the sticker on top that covers the top of the cells. We let the car cool overnight, sprayed it with febreeze, and hoped for the best. We noticed the odor off and on the rest of the week, but nothing like before. The battery is still leaking a very small amount of acid from under the sticker on top, but the car has always started fine with no issues besides the smell and overheating that one time. Doing some reading it points to the alternator or IBS sensor. There was a code for the IBS, which I again will have to post a bit later. I'm obviously looking at buying a new battery, but I want to fix the issue that caused to overheat and leak before I do.

4. CEL for EVAP leak - Again, I will have to post the exact code later, but on the way home from London the CEL came on, and remained on until I was able to scan the car at home and reset the light. It hasn't come back yet, but I assume this would trace back to maybe a faulty gas cap..?

5. TPMS malfunction - I get a TPMS malfunction warning quite often, with no rhyme or reason as to why. Sometimes it comes on back to back every minute, sometimes it will go for an hour without coming on, but either way, it's annoying. It could be a faulty sensor, or the TPMS module, but I was wondering if there is a way to troubleshoot it with INPA since my Rheingold doesn't seem to be much use to me.

These are the 5 major issues I've had. Any help I can get on any of these would be greatly appreciated.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 08-16-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
cameronhbyrne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 3.5i

Hey Rat3d,

I just picked up a 2011 xdrive 3.5i myself and have the same shudder as well, so I'm hoping getting on this thread will help me as well. I haven't changed the fluid in the transfer case yet, but might be moving that up the agenda if that is the 1st step to troubleshoot.

I'll update if you haven't yet when I make the change.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
HedMan
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
1. Shudder or vibration when turning slowly in a parking lot at low speeds - I've read quite a bit and learned this is an issue with the transfer case, and a fluid change could solve it, and if not, the dealer will install a new transfer case. I have read briefly that the issue could simply be the transfer case actuator, and a simple replacement of the plastic gear could solve the issue (or a new actuator which is far cheaper than the transfer case). I'm hoping someone can give me some more input on steps for troubleshooting, and narrowing down the issue so I am not just throwing money at the car.
Try resetting the Transfer Case adjustments first using Rheingold. I had the TC problem, had the fluid changed and reset the adjustments...but the problem started to come back after 4 months. Another reset seemed to help, although I'm sure I'll end up having to replace the TC eventually.

Either way, it's free, so it's worth trying before anything that will be $
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Codes are listed below. Does anyone have a recent version of ISTA+ that will work with E series and has basic features enabled?

CAS
A103
A10A

DME/DDE
32E3
38AC
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0