XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #45
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
I guess Tesla is too new to be on the list. Tesla owners I know are talking about them like iPhones. I imagine loyalty over there would be equivalent to Mac loyalty, extremely high.
Tesla is on a different list - they’re in household appliances with all the washing machines and vacuum cleaner brands
Appreciate 6
      07-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #46
Mrgunfun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Lexus is #1??? I hated my IS350 F Sport.
Yeah I hear you, people buy IS350 thinking it's a sports sedan, it's not.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #47
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Jaguar folks be like, fuck this. I'm out.
Appreciate 4
BigSky702687.00
Ozzie8641.00
EricU660.00
      07-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #48
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
The non- luxury one
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
heavyD^23684.00
mkoesel7505.50
      07-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #49
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
I really liked my ISF's and RCF... I love my M3
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #50
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I think Lexus is kind of an extension of the typical Toyota buyer that doesn't care about dynamics, style, or performance and places reliability above all else when purchasing a car. There's little doubt their cars while sober are reliable transportation with solid build quality.
Guess my wife is an anomaly... loyal Toyota owner for years...

Fast forward 20 years .. and she can't wait to dump her Lexus!!

I like to think I've been an big influencer on her automobile tastes!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #51
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
I think Lexus is kind of an extension of the typical Toyota buyer that doesn't care about dynamics, style, or performance and places reliability above all else when purchasing a car. There's little doubt their cars while sober are reliable transportation with solid build quality.
My sister-in-law and her family are die-hard Lexus owners. They had a pretty old Lexus sedan and a newer Lexus SUV (don't know the models, don't care...). Both died last year within months of each other with catastrophic failures, both had to be towed to a junk yard.

But they bought a new Lexus sedan and a used Lexus SUV to replace them...
i thought you meant your sister in law and family had both died
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #52
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Driving my wife's Lexus is akin to driving a combine harvester in a strong gale. However when it is time for a service Lexus come by the house, collect the car, leave her with a replacement vehicle and then return the car later in the day with a Lindt chocolate inside.

I would be lucky to even get through to the BMW service number to book my car in for a service. It would be nice if BMW could deliver a service experience to match the great car I'm now driving.
Appreciate 3
clee1982796.00
No Boost4019.00
      07-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #53
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
So your brother based his (and your) brand royalty on one dealership experience?

Plenty of BMW dealers give equal or better loaners if you simply ask, and I never had to pay for replacement batteries let alone any other repairs to my bmw dealers, ever.

Oh and good luck servicing your future C8
Obviously, you haven't read my post, or you lack mental capacity to comprehend opposing views without resorting to uniformed sarcasm.

I said *he* find his Lexus *more comfortable* and its dealerships more accommodating. Your condescending attitude towards other brand loyalists is so stereotypical of BMW drivers.

Where did I state that my priorities were the ultimate dealership experience? If I did, I would have left BMW 20 years and 9 cars ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #54
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Driving my wife's Lexus is akin to driving a combine harvester in a strong gale. However when it is time for a service Lexus come by the house, collect the car, leave her with a replacement vehicle and then return the car later in the day with a Lindt chocolate inside.
The Australian heat must wreak havoc on the chocolate as it melts on the dash and into the defroster vent. I picture Tommy rolling peanut M&Ms into the defroster of David Spade's cherry Camaro as I type this. That should really up the resale value.
Appreciate 1
AlpineG30111.00
      07-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #55
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Lets be honest here. Most people who buy bmw care about the badge and could care less about the dynamics or the performance. Ask a typical BMW driver (not M owners) if he or she knows what engine is in the car or the horse power/torque or the type of tires so on.
Rubbish. So only M owners know about their cars
      07-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #56
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
The non- luxury one
This one surprises me quite a bit given Subaru has been plagued by engine oil consumption and CVT problems. I owned a 2013 STI and while the EJ257 in my car didn't crack a piston during the 2.5 years I owned it I felt the car itself was pretty unremarkable and highly overrated. My wife currently drives an Outback and it will probably be our last Subaru as while it's been fairly reliable outside of H6 engine oil consumption these cars do not age well. If feels like the interiors are dated on arrival so after four years I feel like I'm in a car that's 15 years old. I just don't get how Subaru became so popular as every automaker offers AWD now and most do it with much better engines, transmissions, interiors, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #57
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I'm surprised how far down Acura are considering they are part of Honda. Same goes for Volvo. Although reliable, they are pretty boring.
I was surprised by this as well. My first 4 cars were Acura’s because I really loved the tech for value and most of the ones I owned also had a nice sporty feel to them.

Hell, I’m currently in a lease for an 18’RDX for my wife. I compared to other suvs in that class and I just couldn’t justify spending all the extra coin with the Acura’s value proposition.
      07-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #58
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA570 View Post
I can say my wife (who barely drives 5k mile/yr) loves her Lexus. I drive it more than she does and I can tell you, this Rx (our 4th one) is our last one. Driving dynamics are awkward, somehow it oversteers AND understeers (don't ask me how), driving feel is worse than the last iteration in smoothness, feels nose-heavy, has soft brake feel.
Certainly not like ANY BMW I've ever owned.
My wifes loves her Lexus SUV too, and I can see why. It's not a handler, but it drives effortlessly (as long as you aren't throwing it around corners at 50mph) and loves soaking up bumps on freeways.

I do call BS on over-steering though. I've never seen it oversteer. It is a perpetual under-steerer, in every situation. And there is a simple solution for that: slow-down... I drive like a grandma in my wife's SUV.

Quote:
I won't disagree with you on the dealership aspect as that goes all the way back to the beginning as they knew that for them to break into the luxury market that the dealership experience needed to be as good or better than the Germans or they would be considered another Acura (where people go to get really nice Hondas, not real luxury cars). I kind of feel this CarWow comparison hits the nail on the head regarding Lexus in general compared to German rivals. Well made, reliable but soft, and a some typical Japanese oddball execution and poor infotainment system.

This is an odd comparison. Why are they comparing a FWD Japanese car against all RWD/AWD German cars? They should've picked the GS to go against the Germans. I am not saying it would have come out ahead, but the selection of cars seems unfair.

It does have some valid points though. The infotainment UI is non-intuitive to put it mildly. It doesn't accelerate or corner as well. We may call it "soft", but they are thinking "comfortable".

Yes, I get it. There is a reason why we drive BMWs. But to ignore all the Lexus brand loyalists and to brand them as idiots isn't exactly constructive. They also have perfectly valid reasons why they keep purchasing Lexus with their hard-earned money, just as we do.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #59
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
M
Yes, I get it. There is a reason why we drive BMWs. But to ignore all the Lexus brand loyalists and to brand them as idiots isn't exactly constructive. They also have perfectly valid reasons why they keep purchasing Lexus with their hard-earned money, just as we do.
Maybe I haven't read every single post in this thread but is this actually happening here?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #60
Adcolema
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Quote:
Lets be honest here. Most people who buy bmw care about the badge and could care less about the dynamics or the performance. Ask a typical BMW driver (not M owners) if he or she knows what engine is in the car or the horse power/torque or the type of tires so on.
🤔
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #61
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
The Australian heat must wreak havoc on the chocolate as it melts on the dash and into the defroster vent. I picture Tommy rolling peanut M&Ms into the defroster of David Spade's cherry Camaro as I type this. That should really up the resale value.
Stage IV that is very funny. I almost choked on my Lindt ball. Melted chocolate can be a bit of challenge here. Our dog is very adept at sniffing out and consuming any remnant as he is allowed in my wife's Lexus. You just need to be careful though that the melted chocolate is indeed melted chocolate
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
AlpineG30111.00
      07-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #62
InsideMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I am very surprised that Mercedes is so high. I dont really think of them as a brand with a passionate following. I thought for sure that BMW and Porsche would be way ahead of Mercedes.
They seem to always have a pull ahead program and if you walk away from the brand, the dispo fee is $595. So they have 6 months to work on the sale. Gives you time to shop it. MB just wants you to get another one, not entirely concerned with which dealer (just a little). Pretty smart...
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #63
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Rubbish. So only M owners know about their cars
Unfortunately, he's not wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #64
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
I loved my 2014, just needed about 30-50hp more. MSRP $48K fully loaded, bought certified preowned 24k miles for $36K. I drove it hard every single day for almost 4 years and never had a single problem. Then I sold it in for $23K with 50K miles on the odo. Owned a 2011 ISF similar story... MSRP 66K fully loaded, bought certified preowned 30K miles for $54K. Drove it hard every day for 3 years, no problems ever and sold it for $48K. It's hard to beat that value proposition and reliability.

They were both good drivers cars but I'm thoroughly enjoying being a BMW owner. Interior technology is no comparison. But I will definitely be checking out the gen4 IS when it comes out though.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #65
SVTruong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 428i GC, '15 640i GC

Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Quote:
I loved my 2014, just needed about 30-50hp more. MSRP $48K fully loaded, bought certified preowned 24k miles for $36K. I drove it hard every single day for almost 4 years and never had a single problem. Then I sold it in for $23K with 50K miles on the odo. Owned a 2011 ISF similar story... MSRP 66K fully loaded, bought certified preowned 30K miles for $54K. Drove it hard every day for 3 years, no problems ever and sold it for $48K. It's hard to beat that value proposition and reliability.

They were both good drivers cars but I'm thoroughly enjoying being a BMW owner. Interior technology is no comparison. But I will definitely be checking out the gen4 IS when it comes out though.
My current BMW (4 series GC) will probably be my last. I really dislike the new BMW design language and that new Audi S5 Sportback is so good looking.

Also, I have had a lot of petty back and forth spats with guys on this forum. Lots of strong opinionated individuals here that like to bag on other brands.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #66
Jbravo33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Jaguar folks be like, fuck this. I'm out.