XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #705
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
No problem. I checked mine and it was a bit toooo gray for my taste so I swapped it as well.

I did them on my former E38 and boy was that a PAIN. To top it off you could tell they had NEVER been changed
Indeed.
On the 6 and 7 series the job is moderately involved, and on top of working on your back, you had to be careful of the airbag setup.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 01:13 AM   #706
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
How about the filter for the blower under the dash?

Nothing grand here either, bought the ground straps that some people have issues with on their E70's. Preventative measure. I'm going to have them replaced at my next oil service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
Wasn’t aware of that one.
Thank you very much.
Going to FCP right now.

Add: I’ve changed the under dash filters on my 650, 750, and M6. Thought the only cabin air filters for the X5 were in the engine bay.
Recirculating air filter replace done.
Was soiled, but not that bad.
Took 10 minutes.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #707
Muzimak
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

Worked on the suspension a bit today, I've been having these knocking sounds on humps, changed control arm bushes, problem remained, changed stabilizer links, same problem even though they were noticeably worn our too, eventually stripped the Shock mounts from inside the hood, and there it was, driver side completely gone, passage side replaced but was still fine. I had only bought the Mount Supports, but unfortunately the driver side Shock Mount is gone, awaiting delivery but I can confirm the knocking sound is gone already!

Name:  IMG_1226.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  172.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1227.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  333.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1229.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  441.1 KB

Last edited by Muzimak; 07-05-2020 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #708
Letsgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35D

The list of things I am doing over July is pretty extensive.

Bought a 2011 X5 diesel on June 16th, 2020, car was in pretty rough shape so it needs a lot of little work here and there.

The current plan:

Repaint red calipers back to OEM silver
Pads/Rotors
KYB shocks all around
Front and Rear wipers
Headlight Lenses
Front/Rear Diff Fluids
Tranny Fluid
Oil Change
Intake Manifold remove/clean
4.5" Exhaust tips (current exhaust is aftermarket 3" with stage 1 tune, tips are welded crooked)
Smoked side markers/Reflectors
Swaps Seat cushions (pass and driver)
Shampoo Interior
Clay Bar
Mirror Caps
Bump stops
Rear lower Control Bushings
Parking Brake shoes and hardware
Backup Camera
Fender Flares
20" Wheels Style 214

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #709
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo View Post
The list of things I am doing over July is pretty extensive.

Bought a 2011 X5 diesel on June 16th, 2020, car was in pretty rough shape so it needs a lot of little work here and there.

The current plan:

Repaint red calipers back to OEM silver
Pads/Rotors
KYB shocks all around
Front and Rear wipers
Headlight Lenses
Front/Rear Diff Fluids
Tranny Fluid
Oil Change
Intake Manifold remove/clean
4.5" Exhaust tips (current exhaust is aftermarket 3" with stage 1 tune, tips are welded crooked)
Smoked side markers/Reflectors
Swaps Seat cushions (pass and driver)
Shampoo Interior
Clay Bar
Mirror Caps
Bump stops
Rear lower Control Bushings
Parking Brake shoes and hardware
Backup Camera
Fender Flares
20" Wheels Style 214

[img]https://i.ibb.co/rZdrJdr/IMG-1081.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/pxS1XYy/IMG-1096.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/6txNxKv/IMG-1264.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/RjjjHTj/IMG-1448.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/HXr423H/IMG-1453.jpg[/img]
Sweet ride! Definitely check the vacuum lines and Harmonic Dampener.

When you say stage 1 do you mean an emissions on tune or fully deleted?
      07-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #710
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Didn't do this today but installed the Megan Racing Supremo axle back a couple weeks ago. Cold starts are damn loud - like really loud - but after RPM drops off its actually fairly quiet when gently cruising - not mad about that at all because sometimes it's nice to feel like it's still a luxury vehicle and not a race car. On boost it sounds great and turbo spool is much more noticeable throughout the rev range.

Overall no regrets since it's 1/4 the price of most other exhaust systems. Will probably weld in some electronic dumps at some point just to have the option of some straight pipe noise on occasion.

Edit: here is a link to the cold start for anyone curious
Attached Images

- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #711
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
Didn't do this today but installed the Megan Racing Supremo axle back a couple weeks ago. Cold starts are damn loud - like really loud - but after RPM drops off its actually fairly quiet when gently cruising - not mad about that at all because sometimes it's nice to feel like it's still a luxury vehicle and not a race car. On boost it sounds great and turbo spool is much more noticeable throughout the rev range.

Overall no regrets since it's 1/4 the price of most other exhaust systems. Will probably weld in some electronic dumps at some point just to have the option of some straight pipe noise on occasion.

Sounds like it means business!

I just started on my exhaust mods. X-pipe, resonator delete, and will mod muffler with cutouts for straight pipe action.

I am to old and cranky to weld under a car anymore so removed the entire system and built a jig to do all the work. Will post pics and video of the results after.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #712
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:

Sounds like it means business!

I just started on my exhaust mods. X-pipe, resonator delete, and will mod muffler with cutouts for straight pipe action.

I am to old and cranky to weld under a car anymore so removed the entire system and built a jig to do all the work. Will post pics and video of the results after.
Looking good so far man. And you reminded me - I'd like to throw in an X-pipe as well. I'm guessing it will improve the sound since the M5 comes with an X-pipe stock.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #713
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Looking good so far man. And you reminded me - I'd like to throw in an X-pipe as well. I'm guessing it will improve the sound since the M5 comes with an X-pipe stock.
Thanks! Ya I'm hopeful it will. I noticed after I put on downpipes, the exhaust note was now out of sync at certain rpm, had almost a "tinny racket" type sound around 3500-4500rpm. Been driving me nuts. I've noticed it on most N63 & S63's with just downpipes and no x-pipe so hopefully this will get rid of that.
Appreciate 1
pdX5M111.50
      07-04-2020, 05:34 AM   #714
Letsgo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Sweet ride! Definitely check the vacuum lines and Harmonic Dampener.

When you say stage 1 do you mean an emissions on tune or fully deleted?
Thanks for the suggestions, I am adding both of those to my list.

Looking around looks like tunemyeuro has silicone lines, is this a good option?

For the "Harmonic Dampener" do you have a good DIY link somewhere?

As far as the car, the previous owner is hard to get a hold of so I am missing some information and I am trying to piece together what was done. I have a friend that will take a look at the car and scan it and hopefully get to the bottom of it. The PO told me he did a stage 1 tune (I believe it started with the letter "B", but again I can't remember the exact name) and deletes, EGR has been deleted, DEF is deleted, as well as DPF. I am waiting for my friend to come by to verify unless someone here can guide me to a quick way of verifying?

The x5 also has a complete 3" exhaust underneath and no rear muffler, it's all 3" pipe that reduces to 2.5" pipe at the back straight to the tips. The car is surprisingly quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #715
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions, I am adding both of those to my list.

Looking around looks like tunemyeuro has silicone lines, is this a good option?

For the "Harmonic Dampener" do you have a good DIY link somewhere?

As far as the car, the previous owner is hard to get a hold of so I am missing some information and I am trying to piece together what was done. I have a friend that will take a look at the car and scan it and hopefully get to the bottom of it. The PO told me he did a stage 1 tune (I believe it started with the letter "B", but again I can't remember the exact name) and deletes, EGR has been deleted, DEF is deleted, as well as DPF. I am waiting for my friend to come by to verify unless someone here can guide me to a quick way of verifying?

The x5 also has a complete 3" exhaust underneath and no rear muffler, it's all 3" pipe that reduces to 2.5" pipe at the back straight to the tips. The car is surprisingly quiet.
I went with this tubing from mcmaster:

https://www.mcmaster.com/5119K79

Then these barb fittings to replace the plastic ones:

https://www.mcmaster.com/2653K11

You just need about 25ft-30ft to do vacuum lines. This is high quality stuff and should last a lot longer then the stock vacuum line. Depending on your mileage you may have to replace the two boost solenoids and two EUVs for the compressor bypass valve & the engine mounts also.

For a Harmonic Dampener DIY check the m57 forum on the e90 page here on the forum. Pretty sure they got one. It's not too difficult, you'll need some special tools to do it but they should all be mentioned there.

Hopefully it's not BPC tuned I hear they had a lot of issues with not showing codes when issues were present.
      07-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #716
Letsgo
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, I will dig into this stuff this week when I have time.

The X5 is at 119k miles.
Appreciate 1
RL18273.50
      07-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #717
Letsgo
Private
Rep

I had an hour today and managed to take the intake manifold off and all shields from underneath, a bit overwhelmed by the oil leaks and rust, but I suppose this is to be expected for a vehicle that was bought essentially sight unseen for net $6,700 CAD

That said this might turn into the biggest waste of time and money and it gets to unfold right here for everyone's entertainment at the very least on my dime

Intake manifold condition (oil inside):

30 second video of engine with manifold off

Oil around oil pan bolt, not sure if it's from it or something surrounding. Time will tell here once i clean it up, change the oil and change the washer.

Additional oil leak from below turbo (front of vehicle passenger side)

Last edited by Letsgo; 07-04-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #718
Letsgo
Private
Rep

Going to clean all the oil and add the UV die as someone suggested in another thread to try and track down the leaks.

Bled the brakes over the weekend and soaked the manifold in super clean and gave it some scrubbing. This is a filthy job and has the potential to get everything within a 10' distance absolutely trashed. Proceed with caution and wear disposable protection (poncho works well) because this stuff splatters and splashes all around.

Started replacing the shocks as well.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #719
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had an hour today and managed to take the intake manifold off and all shields from underneath, a bit overwhelmed by the oil leaks and rust, but I suppose this is to be expected for a vehicle that was bought essentially sight unseen for net $6,700 CAD

That said this might turn into the biggest waste of time and money and it gets to unfold right here for everyone's entertainment at the very least on my dime

Intake manifold condition (oil inside):

30 second video of engine with manifold off

[img]https://i.ibb.co/WyBD2N9/IMG-1545.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/QMptR4m/IMG-1560.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/RpXJBv4/IMG-1553.jpg[/img]

Oil around oil pan bolt, not sure if it's from it or something surrounding. Time will tell here once i clean it up, change the oil and change the washer.
[img]https://i.ibb.co/vsL9vsH/IMG-1561.jpg[/img]

Additional oil leak from below turbo (front of vehicle passenger side)
[img]https://i.ibb.co/RQN5L99/IMG-1574.jpg[/img]
So at 119k I would definitely refresh the vacuum system, it all looks original to me.

Also you can remove those swirl flaps and install block off plates for less cleaning. That cbu is disgusting. Definitely doesn't come off easily lol.

That oil around the turbo is most likely the cold side intercooler boot that blew, some people replace the seals, some use the forge boost hose, and some (like me) upgrade to the atm intercooler which is probably the most solid fix.
      07-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #720
chemist_slime
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5 35d

Quote:
So at 119k I would definitely refresh the vacuum system, it all looks original to me.

Also you can remove those swirl flaps and install block off plates for less cleaning. That cbu is disgusting. Definitely doesn't come off easily lol.

That oil around the turbo is most likely the cold side intercooler boot that blew, some people replace the seals, some use the forge boost hose, and some (like me) upgrade to the atm intercooler which is probably the most solid fix.
Yea, I second that. Since you already have the intake manifold and valve cover off, changing the vacuum lines should be easy simply doing it 1 by 1. When I did mine I gave each line about 1-2 cm extra slack around the top turbo since they were so closely wound around and were pretty much cooked by the heat. To change the vacuum lines under the lower turbo, it's easiest to remove the passenger side wheel well covers and reach through to swap those two out. Accessing it from above is impossible. You'll need two rolls of vacuum lines to complete the swap. I got mine here:

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/cloth-cov...i-bmw-engines/

You should probably also take a look at your valve cover gaskets, fuel injectors, glow plugs/controllers, harmonic balancer, pulleys and all the belts. If the car looks like that at 119k mi, there's quite some maintenance to be done if you plan to keep it around.

And Yes, the UV dye will make your life much easier to track down any leaks. But as I mentioned, be sure to do a fresh oil change before you put it in, otherwise you'll just be wasting dye which is about 10 bucks a pop. I ended up adding two bottles just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #721
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist_slime View Post

Yea, I second that. Since you already have the intake manifold and valve cover off, changing the vacuum lines should be easy simply doing it 1 by 1. When I did mine I gave each line about 1-2 cm extra slack around the top turbo since they were so closely wound around and were pretty much cooked by the heat. To change the vacuum lines under the lower turbo, it's easiest to remove the passenger side wheel well covers and reach through to swap those two out. Accessing it from above is impossible. You'll need two rolls of vacuum lines to complete the swap. I got mine here:

You should probably also take a look at your valve cover gaskets, fuel injectors, glow plugs/controllers, harmonic balancer, pulleys and all the belts. If the car looks like that at 119k mi, there's quite some maintenance to be done if you plan to keep it around.

And Yes, the UV dye will make your life much easier to track down any leaks. But as I mentioned, be sure to do a fresh oil change before you put it in, otherwise you'll just be wasting dye which is about 10 bucks a pop. I ended up adding two bottles just to be safe.
The OEM hose isn't very durable. That's why I said to go with the mcmaster hose. That is rated for oil, heat, etc.

You can also get non irritant ceramic heat shield sleeving to protect the lines as they go over the turbo and some hook and loop velcro to neaten things up. I'm hoping that on my x5d I'll never need to replace the vacuum lines again.
Attached Images

07-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #722
chemist_slime
Private
Rep

Quote:
The OEM hose isn't very durable. That's why I said to go with the mcmaster hose. That is rated for oil, heat, etc.

You can also get non irritant ceramic heat shield sleeving to protect the lines as they go over the turbo and some hook and loop velcro to neaten things up. I'm hoping that on my x5d I'll never need to replace the vacuum lines again.
Ah, I didn't see your post above and didn't mean to overwrite you. I've personally never used the silicone ones but if they're durable, it might be worth a shot. But yea, I also replaced the vaccuum reservoir at the same time since it showed a small leak with a pressure test and also swapped out my two solenoids as well.

From the pic you attached, it looks to be some sort of cloth? Is that the non-irritant ceramic heat shield?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #723
Letsgo
Private
Rep

Quote:

Using this diagram, which part is prone to blowing/leaking, i want to check tonight and see if it's the issue.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #724
Letsgo
Private
Rep

Quote:

Great info, appreciate it.

I was about to order a the flaps/hoses/gasket from tunemy euro but did you mean i need 2 rolls of 15' to do all hoses? The website says 5 meters should be sufficient which is 15'

I was going to order the 15' Platinum Cured 3.5mm Silicone Vacuum Line and vacuum hose spilces:

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/roll-of-p...e-vacuum-line/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #725
chemist_slime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Great info, appreciate it.

I was about to order a the flaps/hoses/gasket from tunemy euro but did you mean i need 2 rolls of 15' to do all hoses? The website says 5 meters should be sufficient which is 15'

I was going to order the 15' Platinum Cured 3.5mm Silicone Vacuum Line and vacuum hose spilces:

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/roll-of-p...e-vacuum-line/
The 5 meter clothed roll was only enough to replace the top vacuum lines. If you're going to replace the bottom turbo ones, it won't be enough. I learned this the hard way and had to pay an extra 6.50 shipping just to get another roll.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #726
Letsgo
Private
Rep

Awesome, thanks for the quick feedback. Ordered 2 rolls just now.
Appreciate 0