XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-20-2019, 01:15 AM   #1
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Thumbs up 2011 BMW X5 35i - Remote Starter (idatastart)

Hello all,

I've been running a ADS-BM1 remote car starter on my 2011 BMW X5 35i for over a year now. I have had zero problems and it works great. I wanted to make a thread of my install to help anyone or if anyone is on the fence about purchasing one.

First off, the install was super easy. Everything was plug and play. Total time taken (if I would have known everything from the start) would be around 2 hours. I paid around $750 for the remote starter and an included transmitter kit (one 2-way remote and one 1-way remote). You are also able to remote start it by triple clicking the lock button.

INSTALL:

This PDF shows the install process: oem-idsrs-bm1-ads-bm1-en.pdf

Connect all t-harness connectors:

Picture of all connections to vehicle:

Name:  1. 3 Connectors.jpeg
Views: 3947
Size:  195.4 KB

Pictures of antenna install for transmitter kit:

Name:  2. Plastic Trim Removal.jpeg
Views: 3726
Size:  148.7 KB
Name:  3. Plastic Trim Removal.jpeg
Views: 3656
Size:  185.2 KB
Name:  4. Remove dome light.jpeg
Views: 3652
Size:  205.3 KB
Name:  5. Routing Wiring.jpeg
Views: 3651
Size:  223.5 KB
Name:  6. Routing Wiring.jpeg
Views: 3650
Size:  197.3 KB
Name:  7. Removing Map Light.jpeg
Views: 3636
Size:  280.7 KB
Name:  8. Running Wiring.jpeg
Views: 3654
Size:  121.2 KB
Name:  9. Running Wiring.jpeg
Views: 3648
Size:  217.3 KB
Name:  10. Antenna Plugged into Module.jpeg
Views: 3695
Size:  166.2 KB

Programming keys:

One part that is not covered in the video above is the KLON, This is done on a PC computer with internet explorer (special cable needed: approx $50-80). You'll need a username and password, just make one (select that you are an installer). Here is a video that shows how to KLON (start video at 7:02):

One part I had difficulty finding information on was how to sync my remotes to my antenna. This is what my remotes and antenna look like:

Name:  11. Remotes.jpeg
Views: 3636
Size:  96.6 KBName:  12. Antenna.jpeg
Views: 3631
Size:  28.5 KB

Steps to sync remotes with antenna:
  1. Make sure all module programming/KLONing is complete.
  2. Set ignition to on position.
  3. Press and release the antenna button, then press and hold the antenna button. The antenna's leds will turn solid blue.
  4. Press once on the lock button of each remote (can pair 4).
  5. The antenna's leds will flash blue once for each successful pairing.
  6. Release the antenna button. The antenna's leds will turn off.
  7. Set igition to off position.
  8. Check to see if remotes work.

Hopefully this helps someone,
Cheers!

2011 BMW X5 35i || M Performance Package || BMS CAI
Sequential LED Rear Bumper Reflectors
LED DRL's with Signal
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGrey_E70 View Post
[SIZE="3"]Hello all,

I've been running a ADS-BM1 remote car starter on my 2011 BMW X5 35i for over a year now. I have had zero problems and it works great. I wanted to make a thread of my install to help anyone or if anyone is on the fence about purchasing one.

First off, the install was super easy. Everything was plug and play. Total time taken (if I would have known everything from the start) would be around 2 hours. I paid around $750 for the remote starter and an included transmitter kit (one 2-way remote and one 1-way remote). You are also able to remote start it by triple clicking the lock button.

[SIZE="4"]INSTALL:[/SIZE]

This PDF shows the install process: Attachment 2162913

Connect all t-harness connectors:

Picture of all connections to vehicle:

Attachment 2162914

Pictures of antenna install for transmitter kit:

Attachment 2162915
Attachment 2162916
Attachment 2162917
Attachment 2162918
Attachment 2162919
Attachment 2162920
Attachment 2162921
Attachment 2162922
Attachment 2162936

Programming keys:

One part that is not covered in the video above is the KLON, This is done on a PC computer with internet explorer (special cable needed: approx $50-80). You'll need a username and password, just make one (select that you are an installer). Here is a video that shows how to KLON (start video at 7:02):

One part I had difficulty finding information on was how to sync my remotes to my antenna. This is what my remotes and antenna look like:

Attachment 2162937Attachment 2162938

Steps to sync remotes with antenna:
  1. [SIZE="3"]Make sure all module programming/KLONing is complete.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE="3"]Set ignition to on position.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE="3"]Press and release the antenna button, then press and hold the antenna button. The antenna's leds will turn solid blue.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE="3"]Press once on the lock button of each remote (can pair 4).[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE="3"]The antenna's leds will flash blue once for each successful pairing.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE="3"]Release the antenna button. The antenna's leds will turn off.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE="3"]Set igition to off position.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE="3"]Check to see if remotes work.[/SIZE]

Hopefully this helps someone,
Cheers!

[/SIZE]
Great info!!! Instructions are perfect. Thank you for sharing.

Two questions for you:

1. Have you noticed any battery drain? I've heard that these type of devices put a continuous draw on the car battery to stay active. My concern is, I go on business travel occasionally, and can leave my car at the airport parked for a week - I'd hate to get home to a car that won't crank.

2. I only want functionality for short range starting, when I'm in visual range of my car, from stock key fob. Is the antenna routing part only for extended distance? And, are the extra remotes only for long distance use?

I've seen a similar model remote start package, that lists for about half the cost, I'm wondering if this is due to not adding on additional capabilities like long distance start, antenna, etc.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
  1. I haven't noticed any battery drain related to the remote start. In the summers it is parked for long periods of time (5 days or more), no problems experienced. Side note: When I originally bought the vehicle I noticed battery drain in the winter and no heat, I replaced the blower motor resistor and my problems went away.
  2. The antenna routing is only for extended distance to be paired with aftermarket remotes, mine are capable of 3000 ft and work through thick concrete buildings. The stock key fobs distance works as before.

I found how much I paid, $655 off eBay. That included the starter module, t-harness, antenna with wiring, and two extended remotes (2-way and a 1-way). I also bought the cable needed to KLON the module ($80). I didn't look around a ton for the absolute cheapest option, just wanted something easy and was waaaay cheaper than taking to a local shop.

LED DRL's with Signal
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_BMW View Post
Great info!!! Instructions are perfect. Thank you for sharing.

Two questions for you:

1. Have you noticed any battery drain? I've heard that these type of devices put a continuous draw on the car battery to stay active. My concern is, I go on business travel occasionally, and can leave my car at the airport parked for a week - I'd hate to get home to a car that won't crank.

2. I only want functionality for short range starting, when I'm in visual range of my car, from stock key fob. Is the antenna routing part only for extended distance? And, are the extra remotes only for long distance use?

I've seen a similar model remote start package, that lists for about half the cost, I'm wondering if this is due to not adding on additional capabilities like long distance start, antenna, etc.

Thanks!

I installed the standalone flashlogic module a couple years ago because I wanted a way to start it while walking up to the car like you. Didn't want an extra fob so setup to use the oem fob with the 3 click lock sequence. The functionality ended up being pretty disappointing - the time it took to go through the startup sequence from clicking the fob to actually starting was 20-30 seconds. It also chirps the horn every 30 seconds or so(cant remember exactly) and flashes the hazards to remind you its started.

There were no options in the software to disable these. It was configured for the shortest delay which was none. Removed it after a couple days as there was no real benefit to having it. Plus you need to sacrifice a fob to make it work if your car is running an updated CAS (CAS4 and up I believe). You get "unable to start warning" on idrive with a constant audible alert if you try to use the same fob that the unit is programmed with while driving even though the car will start as normal. Hope this helps you decide.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
I installed the standalone flashlogic module a couple years ago because I wanted a way to start it while walking up to the car like you. Didn't want an extra fob so setup to use the oem fob with the 3 click lock sequence. The functionality ended up being pretty disappointing - the time it took to go through the startup sequence from clicking the fob to actually starting was 20-30 seconds. It also chirps the horn every 30 seconds or so(cant remember exactly) and flashes the hazards to remind you its started.

There were no options in the software to disable these. It was configured for the shortest delay which was none. Removed it after a couple days as there was no real benefit to having it. Plus you need to sacrifice a fob to make it work if your car is running an updated CAS (CAS4 and up I believe). You get "unable to start warning" on idrive with a constant audible alert if you try to use the same fob that the unit is programmed with while driving even though the car will start as normal. Hope this helps you decide.

Just to build off what Deftronix said, my idatastart takes almost exactly 12 seconds to start regardless of distance; time taken to shut off is immediate. Mine only flashes the lights (I turned this feature on) and has no horn honking. It also hasn't affected comfort access at all if you have that option. Furthermore, it stores the last settings used, so I always crank the heat before shutting the vehicle off in winter, seat heaters won't come on though.

LED DRL's with Signal
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #6
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Just to build off what Deftronix said, my idatastart takes almost exactly 12 seconds to start regardless of distance; time taken to shut off is immediate. Mine only flashes the lights (I turned this feature on) and has no horn honking. It also hasn't affected comfort access at all if you have that option. Furthermore, it stores the last settings used, so I always crank the heat before shutting the vehicle off in winter, seat heaters won't come on though.

They could have very well updated the options since I last tried. The flash/programming is done through an embedded web app over their website. One more thing to be aware of (at least when I setup) is that a module can only be flashed & programmed three times, then it is permanently locked out and no further keys can be programmed. Just something to keep in mind if someone is planning to look used market.

Last edited by Deftronix; 10-20-2019 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:28 PM   #7
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
Quote:

They could have very well updated the options since I last tried. The flash/programming is done through an embedded web app over their website. One more thing to be aware of (at least when I setup) is that a module can only be flashed & programmed three times, then it is permanently locked out and no further keys can be programmed. Just something to keep in mind if someone is planning to look used market.
Getting ready to do this, but have a new question, based on the following scenario:

Wife and I go to a grocery store. As we exit store, I remote start the car. When we get close to the car, I unlock doors. Wife opens passenger door and enters while I unload groceries for several minutes, put cart away, then enter car.

I believe on the remote start module there is a safety/anti-theft function that must be executed within a short number of seconds after a door opens - like pressing the brake and switching ignition to ON. If this doesn't happen within the set window of time, the engine shuts off.

I need to learn if that happens with any door opening, or only driver door -or- if this feature/function can simply be extended to something like 5 minutes, or deactivated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Just installed the Flashlogic FLRSBM1 yesterday.

What should have been a 2-hour job took a friend and I about 4 hours. Mind you we were doing this on a hot summer day in Phoenix - it was 110 degrees in the garage, so some of this time was us stepping inside to cool off for a few minutes. :-)

Overall went in fairly easy. A couple hitches were:

- getting the brake pedal sensor wire disconnected was a pain in the rear.

- the instructions for flashing the modules was a little unclear. Didn't realize there are two separate pieces to flash, so we had to go back and redo that part.

After we got the flashing part figured out, the rest of the steps went smoothly. It tested out through the closing checklist just fine.

Once we were done, I parked my car out in front of my friend's house so he could get his truck parked back inside his garage. An hour or so later when I was preparing to leave, I looked out his window and clicked my key fob 3 times, and moments later I saw the lights flash indicating it started up. A few minutes later I walked out to an already cooling car. It just paid for itself.

- Cactus_BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:09 AM   #9
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

What should have been a 2-hour job took a friend and I about 4 hours. Mind you we were doing this on a hot summer day in Phoenix - it was 110 degrees in the garage, so some of this time was us stepping inside to cool off for a few minutes. :-)

- the instructions for flashing the modules was a little unclear. Didn't realize there are two separate pieces to flash, so we had to go back and redo that part.

After we got the flashing part figured out, the rest of the steps went smoothly. It tested out through the closing checklist just fine.

Once we were done, I parked my car out in front of my friend's house so he could get his truck parked back inside his garage. An hour or so later when I was preparing to leave, I looked out his window and clicked my key fob 3 times, and moments later I saw the lights flash indicating it started up. A few minutes later I walked out to an already cooling car. It just paid for itself.

- Cactus_BMW
Great to hear you installed with little problems. Did you opt for extended range remotes/antenna?

Also, I tested what would happen if a door is opened and the brake is not pressed. My vehicle continued to run for several minutes, until I went to put it in gear then it shut off. The owners manual says you have 45 seconds to press the brake which is a fair amount of time.

LED DRL's with Signal
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #10
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

- Cactus_BMW
Great to hear you installed with little problems. Did you opt for extended range remotes/antenna?

Also, I tested what would happen if a door is opened and the brake is not pressed. My vehicle continued to run for several minutes, until I went to put it in gear then it shut off. The owners manual says you have 45 seconds to press the brake which is a fair amount of time.
I did not do the range extender, I didn't think I'd use that capability much, if at all.

Upon installation, it all seemed to be working fine, and I used it a few times without issue. Unfortunately, now I'm having some weird problems with the device. And adding to the challenge is that I had to drive my X5 1,500 miles to my father's home within a week of installing the unit (he was in the hospital, and is in a high risk group for COVID-19, so I needed to stay out of airports). Luckily my dad is doing better, but I'm still out of town.

My symptoms include low battery voltage warning after a couple days of not driving, and triple clicking lock button on fob kicks off the remote start sequence up to actually starting engine - but then flashes hazard lights 15 times with no actual engine start. I've researched this, seems like it is a CAN-BUS error. And one day my key fob wouldn't unlock or lock doors - seemed completely dead.

Being I'm still out of town, I'm not able to tear into this to try to figure out what's happening. And, I'm not even sure what to troubleshoot, beyond rechecking connections - which I doubt is the issue as I'd suspect I'd be getting error codes and other problems. Only other thing I can think of is, perhaps I've got some setting edited with Carly ODB adapter/app that is tripping the starter up. Uggh.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 12:13 AM   #11
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
I definitely use my extended range in the winter time when I want to start my vehicle from work, hockey rinks, my apartment, etc. Plus there's the added benefit if it is a two-way remote that it alerts you that the vehicle did in fact start.

As for the symptoms you're getting the battery drain could be related to something else. I used to get that error and also had no hot air blowing out my vents. I replaced the blower motor resistor and this fixed my heat and battery drain problems.

I'm not sure what you mean about the triple clicking scenario. For me I can triple click the lock on my key fob and it will flash the lights 3 times and then start the vehicle. If I repeat this triple click it will shut the vehicle down. I think the amount of flashes you could change when you originally programmed it.

I also used to get that last error you explained where my fob seems dead. It's like the vehicle loses memory of the fob and only the extended 2-way remote works. I have to manually unlock the vehicle with my key and then when I put the fob into the slot, it re-syncs it and function as normal.

LED DRL's with Signal
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 04:42 PM   #12
chocofrost
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 e70

Im trying to Program my Module however my both my key fox is comfort access key and wont detectd by Key Slot? Is there another way to program the Module without inserting the key in the slot?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 10:17 PM   #13
SpaceGrey_E70
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocofrost View Post
Im trying to Program my Module however my both my key fox is comfort access key and wont detectd by Key Slot? Is there another way to program the Module without inserting the key in the slot?
Both of my keys were comfort access keys as well. As far as I know you have to use the key slot to program the keys. Did you follow the steps on the installation guide and the videos exactly?

You could try contacting the company for support: https://www.idatalink.com/contact

I'm not sure about anyone else but a lot of the information/videos in my original post don't show on the Bimmerpost app, they only show on my computer in a web browser.
Appreciate 0