XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #155
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsniperr View Post
HAHA.

I'd rather not talk about it. I've easily put over $15k into the car.

Smiles per gallon.
Honestly, that's a really solid deal. I recently had my engine rebuilt and the total bill was almost $30K.

Congrats on the rebuild, do you know what tune you're going to run?
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #156
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5m | 2001 BMW 540i m

Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
Quote:
HAHA.

Smiles per gallon.
Honestly, that's a really solid deal. I recently had my engine rebuilt and the total bill was almost $30K.

Wow! Who rebuilt it for you ?

My total rebuild was just shy then $10k.

My biggest hit $$$ was getting the timing cover gaskets done 4 months ago. $3k job that was just done again. Honestly a lot of the work like the turbos and vaccum pump added up big time too. $4k right there.

But I'm extremely lucky. I bought the car for $11k. I'd say off the top of my head $17-18k in repairs including the rebuild. So I'll look at the bright side.

If I could start all over - I would have just rebuilt the motor on day 1. But you don't know what to expect when you never had an s63 or new to that motor.

This is what this forum is for. This is exactly what you can expect buying a used x5m. Let it be said i hope this post helps new buyers of them. Beware! Do your research. get the car checked out! Haha. Obviously it was a very expensive used car purchase. But I made the best of it. I saw potential in it. I had the money to do it. And we got it done.

No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #157
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
Quote:
HAHA.

Smiles per gallon.

I believe we may get it tuned by Gintani in LA or by another tuner. Will have to put 200-300 miles on it and change the oil. I believe I'm running 5w40 in it from now on. I don't think the film pressure of 5w30 has enough to lubricate the rod bearings properly. With the heat especially an s63 can produce. So I'm happy with the hi temp silicone lines we installed along with the 90c thermostat, as well as running catless downpipes. Should really help preserve the engine life with the valve stem seals and other plastics and gaskets in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #158
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:
Wow! Who rebuilt it for you ?

My total rebuild was just shy then $10k.

My biggest hit $$$ was getting the timing cover gaskets done 4 months ago. $3k job that was just done again. Honestly a lot of the work like the turbos and vaccum pump added up big time too. $4k right there.

But I'm extremely lucky. I bought the car for $11k. I'd say off the top of my head $17-18k in repairs including the rebuild. So I'll look at the bright side.

If I could start all over - I would have just rebuilt the motor on day 1. But you don't know what to expect when you never had an s63 or new to that motor.

This is what this forum is for. This is exactly what you can expect buying a used x5m. Let it be said i hope this post helps new buyers of them. Beware! Do your research. get the car checked out! Haha. Obviously it was a very expensive used car purchase. But I made the best of it. I saw potential in it. I had the money to do it. And we got it done.

No regrets.

Your rebuild cost is definitely a great deal! Did you have any damage to the crankshaft? Did your core need any machining? My rebuild cost was almost $13K, but I had to replace the crankshaft and I opted for forged pistons. I used Ghassan Automotive and had the motor removed by my local shop and shipped out to them. My local shop replaced just about everything under the hood when they put it back together, so that added to the cost quite a bit.

Here's my painfully long thread about it all: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1611893

I'm in it about $39K, not including the $16K the warranty company paid out. So I would say anything under $20K for a freshly built X5M is a STEAL! Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #159
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

It seems like buying a higher mileage vehicles especially tuned and without knowing much of it's previous history seems pretty risky.

Seeing how you all have 20-30K in your motors alone, would $34,000 for a 2012 X5M fully loaded with 43K miles and 46 month exclusionary warranty sounds reasonable ?

If I was the one with a built motor, I won't risk it tuning it again.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:37 AM   #160
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just got the car and WOW.

This car is amazing.

I can now hear the turbos spooling, throttle response is nuts. Pulls harder then ever.

Now it's time to tune. I have a CEL from the catless Dps

What do I need to delete the CEL and or tune?

There is a few tuners in Las Vegas. Will have to talk to them
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:00 AM   #161
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:

I can now hear the turbos spooling, throttle response is nuts. Pulls harder then ever.
That's how they normally drive, you just didn't get to experience what a healthy X5M sounds and feels like

Enjoy and please be safe with the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #162
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
Quote:

That's how they normally drive, you just didn't get to experience what a healthy X5M sounds and feels like

Enjoy and please be safe with the tune.

It's crazy. Just get it detailed and interior completely cleaned. Looks like a brand new car. It literally is haha.

So I did some research on tuning here in Vegas and I'm going to go with the Autowerkes tune from @etektuning in Vegas.

Roughly around $1200 I was quoted.

He is offering a stage 1 or stage 2 tune.

What do you guys suggest ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #163
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
It's crazy. Just get it detailed and interior completely cleaned. Looks like a brand new car. It literally is haha.

So I did some research on tuning here in Vegas and I'm going to go with the Autowerkes tune from @etektuning in Vegas.

Roughly around $1200 I was quoted.

He is offering a stage 1 or stage 2 tune.

What do you guys suggest ?
I'm really happy with ESS tuning, on my 50i stock 0-60 was 6.7 seconds (using draggy to measure). After new transmission solenoids, carbon cleanup, and downpipes best was 5.6 seconds. Then I added the ESS stage 1 tune and just the tune alone dropped it from 5.6 to 4.4 seconds.

Keep in mind this is without using launch control and my engine and transmission have over 154,000 miles on it now. They give you stage 2 also at no extra charge and cable and software to change between or back to stock whenever you want. If they can get a 50i with 154k on the clock nearly as fast as a stock M, imagine what their tune would do for an M. I would check them out. Their tune completely changed truck. I mean it was quick before but now it has completely woke it up and I have to yet play with the stage 2 yet (waiting until I get done with new exhaust and intake mods first)

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 06-25-2020 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #164
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

What's good everybody !

Just wanted to give an update on the beast since it's been a a few weeks.

After the motor rebuild, unfortunately there was a water jug left in my cargo area that spilt and fried my ACT700 module (traction control)

I had a bunch of lights on the dash. Was happy to get that sorted out via eBay for $150.

You'd think they would think that computers exposed under the cargo lid is prob a bad idea. Plan on protecting and sealing it somehow.

After that was squared away I was able to put a fresh set of Toyo tires on her, she needed them desperately.

I was finally able to get it tuned. What a crazy difference.

Here is a video of stock motor with cats. This was the power before the engine rebuild

Here is a video of it pulling before the tune with the down pipes and after the engine rebuild.

& here it is pulling with the Active Autowerke Stage 2 Catless downpipe Tune.

You can clearly tell the difference.

Here is a video of some revs

Really happy with the outcome!

No complaints!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #165
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

I don’t remember a big pause in between shifts on mine. I mean, it’s no dsg tranny but yours is definitely lagging.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:22 AM   #166
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Congratulations on getting those VSRF downpipes installed. Their fitment sucked when I tried to have them installed last year.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:16 AM   #167
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
I don't remember a big pause in between shifts on mine. I mean, it's no dsg tranny but yours is definitely lagging.
I'm letting off the gas. I don't want to redline it just yet. It only has about 1700 miles on the motor
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #168
1er_vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si; 2010 BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
Good luck with the stealer ....

I took out the stock s63 crap out, put in the m5 turbos, new crankcase system with catch cans, I have some intakes and chargepipes I put together myself have over 3k miles on it already

Have had the truck for almost 5 years now and chased that fucking engine malfunction forever... truck is more reliable now than ever.
^This^

The biggest cause for S63 reduced power errors is clogged injectors and PCV/air oil separators failing to send oil vapor to be burned by the intake. The telltale symptoms are random 100-rpm stumbling at idle and huge soot cloud at WOT, followed by screen error message and the feeling that the car is running on four cylinders until you restart.

The filtered air intake and all associated plumbing is known for flapper valve issues, sucking fresh accumulated oil and choking the vehicle. Get the PCV replaced after 100k/miles and enjoy the uninterrupted power once again.
Appreciate 0