XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-04-2020, 05:40 AM   #1
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Top DSP hifi system retrofit to X6 E71

Hi All

I have the real base audio system, which here in the UK is simply 4 mids in the doors and thats it. No amp, no subs, no tweeters.

Looking at upgrading to the Logic 7 DSP Top HiFi system as I can get all the parts for relatively good money on eBay these days.

My intention is to post the progress here for others to follow as I go and then it's a guide later on if I succeed

Digital TV tuner retrofit here ...
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1717333

Active Sound Design retro fit thread here ...
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1717334

Last edited by radial; 05-04-2020 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

First questions for anyone reading this who might be able to help...

1) do you think a LHD wiring harness from an X5 E70 will fit into a RHD X6 E71? So far I can't see any obvious reasons why not as all the hardware is in the same positions in the car.

2) do we think a wiring harness from an E60 5er would go into the X6 ok (both RHD)?

I'm trying to get the right harness so all i have to do is run it and don't need to faff about with finding all the connectors, which from experience is harder than finding the parts.

Heres the diagram I'm working from ....
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ystem/Hv3L79vv

Last edited by radial; 05-04-2020 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #3
rlaggan
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

hardware will no doubt have it's own dependencies on wiring version especially when there are many months of revisions within even a specific model, like 08 4.8i vs 3.0i.in that case, the 4.8i being a 'premium' version has both dependencies and dependents outside the speaker wiring, so its base harnesses are built with the minimum wiring needed for its 'base' audio system. Many wires are 'already available ' in the 4.8i even without a dsp upgrade. So, a top hifi harness from the 3.0i may have a different harness layout with an identical pinout at connectors. Confusing, but that's the situation.

Hardware isnt identical but close enough to work without touching your factory wires (of course no tweets/subs etc)
Wiring is another story.
I've done a few upgrades to the base and dsp systems and dealt with years and models having specific issues to their own layouts.
Also, there are many (many) wiring differences between early e70 and late e71. Even going from say 2/07 to 2/09 with e70, there are so many changes it's a bit annoying. There are a LOT of wires that will need to be cut and lengthened to get from the left A pillar to the right A pillar swapping from LHD to RHD, including resistance sensitive twisted pairs. Also numerous grounds swap sides which may be an issue at the front or rear power distribution boxes.
The dsp and active sound system systems also are dependent on driver sitting position, bit changing that may be as simple as coding the VO with top hifi and dsp in RHD variant.
May be easier to leave your existing wiring in place and simply strip the extra wires from the donor, like tweeter and subwoofer portions....and graft into yours.
Or if I was thinking of using the same donor parts, I would simply swap hardware, code, see what works and what doesn't work and fix, then only after its working add the tweeters, subs, d pillars, etc.
Appreciate 1
radial9.00
      06-06-2020, 06:30 AM   #4
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaggan View Post
hardware will no doubt have it's own dependencies on wiring version especially when there are many months of revisions within even a specific model, like 08 4.8i vs 3.0i.in that case, the 4.8i being a 'premium' version has both dependencies and dependents outside the speaker wiring, so its base harnesses are built with the minimum wiring needed for its 'base' audio system. Many wires are 'already available ' in the 4.8i even without a dsp upgrade. So, a top hifi harness from the 3.0i may have a different harness layout with an identical pinout at connectors. Confusing, but that's the situation.

Hardware isnt identical but close enough to work without touching your factory wires (of course no tweets/subs etc)
Wiring is another story.
I've done a few upgrades to the base and dsp systems and dealt with years and models having specific issues to their own layouts.
Also, there are many (many) wiring differences between early e70 and late e71. Even going from say 2/07 to 2/09 with e70, there are so many changes it's a bit annoying. There are a LOT of wires that will need to be cut and lengthened to get from the left A pillar to the right A pillar swapping from LHD to RHD, including resistance sensitive twisted pairs. Also numerous grounds swap sides which may be an issue at the front or rear power distribution boxes.
The dsp and active sound system systems also are dependent on driver sitting position, bit changing that may be as simple as coding the VO with top hifi and dsp in RHD variant.
May be easier to leave your existing wiring in place and simply strip the extra wires from the donor, like tweeter and subwoofer portions....and graft into yours.
Or if I was thinking of using the same donor parts, I would simply swap hardware, code, see what works and what doesn't work and fix, then only after its working add the tweeters, subs, d pillars, etc.
Thanks for the input.
I'm certain it's not going to be easy but hoping I can do it

I considered keeping my loom and adding to it but because I have a base that doesn't have an amp at all the wiring is completely different so almost nothing worth saving. The 4 channels from the back of the head unit go direct to the speakers in my case.

I'll get started after I move house next month and update here then.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #5
Mixhali
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335

How did you go

Hi, I also have an e71m with the N63. It has i believe what is CCC basic hifi. I also have a e92 335 with Top L7 sound and I'm really happy with it. As a stock system i think it has a really nice warm sound. The X6 on the other hand sounds cheap and lacks any bottom end.

I'm interested to know does the TOP system require CIC or can it be interfaced with CCC. From memory CCC does not use MOST bus. not 100% sure

Was the \re much work in terms of the wiring harness?

Regards
Appreciate 0