XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

2008 3.0si Strut Mount Failure

I noticed a while back that the mount "guides" were starting to shred but have been putting it off to wait and buy coilovers. I didn't expect this to happen. I'm guessing it's just a result of a failed mount/guides right? not the strut. Symptoms were squealing at all speeds...which was the top of the strut scraping on the mounting area.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I ordered some Ceika coilovers last night but probably won't get them for a couple weeks. Went Ceika because they make custom and should be able to provide me with 25-75mm lift for additional ground clearance and larger tires. Will probably rent some spring compressors to try and fix the mount using new guide supports that I already have at the house. I've only heard of one guy on M5forums who has used Ceika on a BMW so I'll let you guys know how the coilover process works.

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thats exactly what happened to you... The guides are complete shot and the top of the strut is rubbing against the support bearing flange.

I am going through something similar and having everything done tomorrow, just wrote about on another post. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
Thats exactly what happened to you... The guides are complete shot and the top of the strut is rubbing against the support bearing flange.

I am going through something similar and having everything done tomorrow, just wrote about on another post. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! I just looked at your thread and I recognized it. I was hearing the same thumping when going over bumps and saw that you replaced the thrust arms to fix this so I went and replaced all the control arms etc.

I think some hard shock, maybe a pothole, started some problems on my drivers side. Getting under the car for the first look I saw that the driver's end link was ripped so I replaced that first, then I did the control arms a few months later. The bushings on the drivers side only had additional cracking when replaced.

I had originally bought new mounts and guide supports but never installed. The mechanics at the shop where I rented the lift advised me to just wait and replace the whole strut/mount assembly at the same time. I returned the mounts but kept the guide supports since they were cheap and it would have been pointless to mail them back. I'm installing the new guide supports on the old mounts today to get it back on the road until the coilovers arrive.

SYT_Shadow did an excellent write up here:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ension+refresh

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I finished up swapping out the support guides today. I used a DIY that eliminated the need for a spring compressor, but I can't say I'll do it again without having a second person. It is very difficult to get the strut to align back into the mount while jacking up the bottom without having 4 hands.

When I pulled the driver's side out I found that the mount bushing was completely gone. I thought I lost the piece but it turns out that it was just stuck onto the strut. I left it on to keep some support and replaced the guide supports.

The bottom of the mount with new guide support:

The top of the strut with new guide support after driving around the block:

The strut is still misaligned, but the new guide supports will hopefully prevent scraping until the coilovers get here.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I finished up swapping out the support guides today. I used a DIY that eliminated the need for a spring compressor, but I can't say I'll do it again without having a second person. It is very difficult to get the strut to align back into the mount while jacking up the bottom without having 4 hands.

When I pulled the driver's side out I found that the mount bushing was completely gone. I thought I lost the piece but it turns out that it was just stuck onto the strut. I left it on to keep some support and replaced the guide supports.

The bottom of the mount with new guide support:

The top of the strut with new guide support after driving around the block:

The strut is still misaligned, but the new guide supports will hopefully prevent scraping until the coilovers get here.
Great job!

My indy mechanic was working on mine today along with the valve cover gasket.

When he mentioned he had to dissemble the whole front suspension I knew I couldn't do it DIY specially with removing the spring.

Glad it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Coilovers didn't get here in time.

My quick fix worked for about 45 miles and then I ended up having to overnight a new mount. The wife and I spent 2 hours installing 1 new mount and there was some frustration with pulling out the strut and compressing the spring...turned out okay though.

I wanted to wait for the new coilovers I ordered since it's a waste of money to buy a new mount when replacing the whole setup...CeikaPerformance takes forever to respond to emails and we have been back and forth about their ability to adjust height and camber. They said it would take 5-6 months to develop camber/caster adjustment for the front. I've been looking at K-Mac bushings to fix that. I'm still waiting on the reply to find out if I can lift the car 25mm. Looking at the suspension it seems up to me that 50mm would be safe but any higher could cause the lower mount to hit the axle while driving. I measured 100mm of suspension travel from stock height. The coilovers would have to be installed at stock height and then raised with a spanner, otherwise they won't even go in.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I have this same issue on my 2010. I heard a knocking sound for a while but couldn't figure out what it was, then it turned into a loud squealing sound so I parked it. I'm having trouble finding a part number for the guides though. What did you order?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0