XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Any new info on extended warranties?

I did a search and found some older threads but nothing too recent. Do most owners move onto new vehicles as the warranty expires instead of getting extended warranties? Just curious if anyone has recently looked into it. I'd appreciate any info at all as to pricing, whether it's worth it for a low mileage vehicle (I'm within 100 miles of 35K), etc. Thanks very much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post
I did a search and found some older threads but nothing too recent. Do most owners move onto new vehicles as the warranty expires instead of getting extended warranties? Just curious if anyone has recently looked into it. I'd appreciate any info at all as to pricing, whether it's worth it for a low mileage vehicle (I'm within 100 miles of 35K), etc. Thanks very much in advance!
35K...isnt the base warranty 4 years 50K miles, 80K KM? Given that you did not haggle for the extra period during purchase...I would not let them hose me for the extra couple years. FYI, I buy demo up to 2 year old vehicles...and make sure I get the 6year/160K certified warranty...always included in the deal....and after having done a fair bit of comparison shopping. Our newest vehicle in the family is a 2015 X3...it was a demo purchased Nov 15 (first registered in Sep 15)...it was BMW warranty till 2021...we saved 10K vice new...and have the extra 2 year warranty sacrificing a few km for that. Looking at certified vehicles now....I note that BMW dealers are getting way less generous and really trying to squeeze buyers on the extra warranty. To that end, in the future and if need be, I will widen my search. Looking at non BMW dealers also for vehicles up to two years old. I would not have done that in the last 10 years or so...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post
35K...isnt the base warranty 4 years 50K miles, 80K KM? Given that you did not haggle for the extra period during purchase...I would not let them hose me for the extra couple years. FYI, I buy demo up to 2 year old vehicles...and make sure I get the 6year/160K certified warranty...always included in the deal....and after having done a fair bit of comparison shopping. Our newest vehicle in the family is a 2015 X3...it was a demo purchased Nov 15 (first registered in Sep 15)...it was BMW warranty till 2021...we saved 10K vice new...and have the extra 2 year warranty sacrificing a few km for that. Looking at certified vehicles now....I note that BMW dealers are getting way less generous and really trying to squeeze buyers on the extra warranty. To that end, in the future and if need be, I will widen my search. Looking at non BMW dealers also for vehicles up to two years old. I would not have done that in the last 10 years or so...
I was thinking the same thing about the low mileage in relation to the original warranty. I'm at the end of the 4 year period but I have to hope that things shouldn't start breaking down for a while still. I honestly didn't think I'd like the car as much as I do and thought I'd be ready to move on, but it really has been pretty much perfect for my needs.

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0