XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-28-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
nikita_567
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

HUD Light Bleed through at night

Has anyone experienced this. I recently started to notice this. my HUD brightness is set to max BUT it was always set to max. It only is visible during dark nights and headlights off. The yellow-greyish rectangle is very annoying. I used to see just the numbers but now the whole outline of the hud is visible. is this normal? Its not actually that yellow as in the picture. Its more duller.
Attached Images

Last edited by nikita_567; 10-28-2018 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
try turning it down? i have mine a bit less than half brightness. During the day you can only see the numbers, but at night you can see a bit of the rectangle but not as much as yours though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
nikita_567
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
try turning it down? i have mine a bit less than half brightness. During the day you can only see the numbers, but at night you can see a bit of the rectangle but not as much as yours though.
I will but Strangely I haven't noticed it since getting the car last year. Why would BMW make this HUD that shows also that rectangular box instead of just the numbers and info. Its just not pleasant to the eye. If BMW has HUD brightness setting to the fullest it doesn't mean it should look ugly.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Mightymaus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Black leather X4 M40i

Garage List
2012 X6 M  [0.00]
I've driven several BMWs in the last 4 years with heads up display and none of them look like yours does.
At full brightness and at night I can see a hint of a white background
That image must be irritating, I wish I could tell you what's causing that. I can't. guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

nikita_567 did you ever solve your HUD issue?
I’ve been looking at a retrofit of this to my E71 but I’ve discovered that it really needs a special windscreen for it. My question is how much does it really need that windscreen or can the regular one work.
But seeing this I’m wondering if you had your windscreen replaced and they put the wrong one? Just an idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial View Post
nikita_567 did you ever solve your HUD issue?
I've been looking at a retrofit of this to my E71 but I've discovered that it really needs a special windscreen for it. My question is how much does it really need that windscreen or can the regular one work.
But seeing this I'm wondering if you had your windscreen replaced and they put the wrong one? Just an idea.
You need the windscreen otherwise the image will appear double. That windscreen allows the inner and outer reflection to align so you only see one image.
      05-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
You need the windscreen otherwise the image will appear double. That windscreen allows the inner and outer reflection to align so you only see one image.
This is what I thought but I found this post earlier where the guy has fitted a HUD to an E71 and its ok. He said it's not perfect but it's pretty good.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641609

Although next time I get a chip in my windscreen I'll get them to put the HUD screen in
Appreciate 0