XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-05-2018, 04:56 AM   #23
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Any more updates on this? My friend has had the same thing pop up and the Dealer here hasnt been able to figure it out.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #24
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlam86 View Post
I had this come up right as I was making a quick left to avoid on coming traffic.
After sitting for almost a month I finally got around to putting my transmission fluid back in after replacing the 4 sealing sleeves my tech buddy missed for some reason. Been driving fine all week, heavy rains last night and it shit the bed in a sweeping left corner :/ Limped it home, read/reset the grocery list of codes, drove it HARD and all was fine so I called it a night. Driving into work this afternoon, made a sudden lane change on a 35MPH and it shits the bed yet again, but this time it was slow enough that it kept forcing itself into Neutral multiple times as I'm trying to do a u-turn and get the damn thing home...had to keep throwing it into Drive like 5-6x as I'm still mid u-turn. Limped it home, parked and I'm done with this shit.

Straight line acceleration is fine but clearly there's something going on where the system sees a difference in wheel speed, tries to correct and falls on it's face since aggressive lane changes is what has caused the issue before. Someone mentioned on here about recalibrating the steering angle sensor, and while I've got a GT1 style laptop, I've got zero clue where to find that screen. Seeing as there are rebuild kits on eBay for $800, to a point I'm fine doing vs dealership quotes I've read of $3000+ but I'm going to lose my shit (again) if I try another fix and it doesn't work...the GF yelled at me but I've suggested on trading everything in, giving up on high HP rigs and getting some boring ass Lexus'

- Transmission, diff and transfer case fluids are maybe a year old
- Pulled the transfer case servo motor a few months ago and the plastic internal wheel was in perfect shape
- Adaptations reset, clutch packs reset, etc using ISTA+
- Redid all the gaskets within the trans this week
- Battery replaced with a proper AGM battery and calibrated with the month, INPA says it's holding charge just fine

Just when I think I've sorted it out, here I am again
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #25
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlam86 View Post
I had this come up right as I was making a quick left to avoid on coming traffic.
After sitting for almost a month I finally got around to putting my transmission fluid back in after replacing the 4 sealing sleeves my tech buddy missed for some reason. Been driving fine all week, heavy rains last night and it shit the bed in a sweeping left corner :/ Limped it home, read/reset the grocery list of codes, drove it HARD and all was fine so I called it a night. Driving into work this afternoon, made a sudden lane change on a 35MPH and it shits the bed yet again, but this time it was slow enough that it kept forcing itself into Neutral multiple times as I'm trying to do a u-turn and get the damn thing home...had to keep throwing it into Drive like 5-6x as I'm still mid u-turn. Limped it home, parked and I'm done with this shit.

Straight line acceleration is fine but clearly there's something going on where the system sees a difference in wheel speed, tries to correct and falls on it's face since aggressive lane changes is what has caused the issue before. Someone mentioned on here about recalibrating the steering angle sensor, and while I've got a GT1 style laptop, I've got zero clue where to find that screen. Seeing as there are rebuild kits on eBay for $800, to a point I'm fine doing vs dealership quotes I've read of $3000+ but I'm going to lose my shit (again) if I try another fix and it doesn't work...the GF yelled at me but I've suggested on trading everything in, giving up on high HP rigs and getting some boring ass Lexus'

- Transmission, diff and transfer case fluids are maybe a year old
- Pulled the transfer case servo motor a few months ago and the plastic internal wheel was in perfect shape
- Adaptations reset, clutch packs reset, etc using ISTA+
- Redid all the gaskets within the trans this week
- Battery replaced with a proper AGM battery and calibrated with the month, INPA says it's holding charge just fine

Just when I think I've sorted it out, here I am again
It's probably your valvebody if everything else is fine as you say.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #26
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
This just happened to me after replacing my air shocks. I have the DSC/xDrive malfunction, Servotronic, brake light, AND a lighting issue that all popped up after the replacement of the air shocks. I disconnected the battery, connected it while still on the jack and stands to check for leaks in the air system and immediately got these errors. The power steering is very stiff as well. I assumed it was a blown fuse as nothing else was done to the car and it had been working great otherwise. I can't find a blown fuse (not finished checking them all). I suppose the battery could be weak and that causes huge problems for this car. I can't see how the transfer case could fail without even being driven.

The big difference between my issue and the others mentioned here is the lighting issue. My interior lights won't come on and the headlights do not turn with the steering wheel.

Am I missing something obvious?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 01:44 AM   #27
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXMMMMMW View Post
This just happened to me after replacing my air shocks. I have the DSC/xDrive malfunction, Servotronic, brake light, AND a lighting issue that all popped up after the replacement of the air shocks. I disconnected the battery, connected it while still on the jack and stands to check for leaks in the air system and immediately got these errors. The power steering is very stiff as well. I assumed it was a blown fuse as nothing else was done to the car and it had been working great otherwise. I can't find a blown fuse (not finished checking them all). I suppose the battery could be weak and that causes huge problems for this car. I can't see how the transfer case could fail without even being driven.

The big difference between my issue and the others mentioned here is the lighting issue. My interior lights won't come on and the headlights do not turn with the steering wheel.

Am I missing something obvious?
The errors you are getting are normal after a battery disconnect. Freaked me out the first time I experienced it too. Just hop in and drive it a bit slowly around the neighborhood, turn the steering wheel all the way from side to side while slowly driving and within about 500 feet of driving, all the errors (steering, 4x4, DSC, etc) will go out as the system recalibrates itself and steering will go back to normal
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
Awesome! Thank you! This morning I hooked it up to my charger and the battery was only at 11.7V so it's definitely in need of some charging. Once it's charged, I'll take her around the block as you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #29
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
Ok...so the battery is fully charged and a quick romp around the block cleared the chassis, xDrive and servotronic malfunctions, but the lighting issue persists. I don't have interior lights, turn signals, nor high beams. Maybe there is a fuse out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #30
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
I finally found the wiring diagrams for the lighting systems and all signs are pointing to the footwell module. Apparently, these are a known issue and covered under an extended warranty. Guess I'll just take her to the dealership and let them replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #31
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXMMMMMW View Post
I finally found the wiring diagrams for the lighting systems and all signs are pointing to the footwell module. Apparently, these are a known issue and covered under an extended warranty. Guess I'll just take her to the dealership and let them replace it.
Ya the original is easy to fry, they will replace it free of charge with an upgraded module under the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #32
X5_montrealer
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 M-package

Sorry to hear about your issues, I have a brand new BMW transfer case for sale, if It could help.

It was purchased with oversight and doesn't fit in my 6 cylinder truck. I also put in a $200 bushing. Part # 27107643752 Please verify fitment! I believe it's from a 2011-13 X5, 8 cylinder, but it will fit other models. The warranty on this unit is two years from its purchase date of May 10th, 2018 No core charge, no tax! Thanks

Thanks,
Bruce
514-966-6777
b_bradshaw@mac.com
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #33
Tran Tu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispddj View Post
I had the same problem with my 2012 X6. Three weeks after getting the care the error popped up. Dealer called it a glitch. The fault code would clear out once you let the car "sleep". To make a long story short (3 more visits later) the tech had to consult with BMW engineers and was told to replace the TRANSFER CASE.
I got my car back last friday, no issues overt there weekend.
How did you car go after replace the TRANSFER CASE ?

My car having the same issue , looking for the best solution to fix it permanently!

Many thanks !!

Last edited by Tran Tu; 06-07-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #34
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Long time no reply but I've since replaced the entire trans w/ fluids, battery and brushes on the alternator itself since I had voltage spikes. To this day it still will randomly shit the bed with yellow lights on the dash...ABS/DSC, traction control, Park light, even sometimes it's say transmission malfunction. It'll still drive though, at worst it'll buck a little sitting at a light and/or the shift lever will bump itself outta sport mode. 9x outta 10 it goes away cycling the engine fully off and back on again, then it's good for the day. At this point it's just more frustrating than anything, especially when knowing safety devices aren't working when I need them and can't get them back on unless I pull over to power cycle it.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #35
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Long time no reply but I've since replaced the entire trans w/ fluids, battery and brushes on the alternator itself since I had voltage spikes. To this day it still will randomly shit the bed with yellow lights on the dash...ABS/DSC, traction control, Park light, even sometimes it's say transmission malfunction. It'll still drive though, at worst it'll buck a little sitting at a light and/or the shift lever will bump itself outta sport mode. 9x outta 10 it goes away cycling the engine fully off and back on again, then it's good for the day. At this point it's just more frustrating than anything, especially when knowing safety devices aren't working when I need them and can't get them back on unless I pull over to power cycle it.
Did you read the stored codes?
Appreciate 0