XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #23
shawn938
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Im in a similar situation with my 2011 BMW 750Li the engine seized and its been at the service center for 4 months waiting on the replacement N63 engine. I've already tried calling corporate and the service center manager but no one can give me a answer on when the engine will get here. Bought it used so BMW won't buy it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #24
mpower33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 E60

please who ever gets new information on the engine ETA, please let us know
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #25
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Wow. Something must be going on in the supply chain, OR they are internally debating what to do with these problem vehicles, and making you all wait while this goes on.
I am keeping tabs as I do have the 50i engine also. Read somewhere else the cost of these motors had been dropping? Wonder if its related.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #26
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
just stumble upon this post, what a night mare, congrats on buy back, u really got lucky there!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #27
shawn938
Rep

Heard back from the service center after calling corporate multiple times about the status of replacement N63 engines. Apparently they're going to send out a batch in November and then a batch in January but from the tone of the person I was speaking to it doesn't seem like these dates are very accurate.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #28
biotechbadass
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 750i

Someone posted online that their SA said July 2019. I asked my SA and he said maybe January 2019. Not getting my hopes up though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
$p33dyD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i E70

I had the same problem as you at about 120000 miles on the odometer with my CPO, 2013 E70, biotechbadass. Was driving down the highway, car shut off and threw a bunch of lights on the cluster, manually pulled off to a side street, battery was dead and had to get pulled onto a flat bed with skids because I could not get the vehicle into neutral. I later found out that you can get the E70 into emergency neutral by going underneath the car, removing a splash guard and twisting a bolt if the vehicle does not have the emergency neutral option; real pain in the ass (see link:
).

I replaced the battery later on thinking that would solve the problem. When I went to turn the engine over, it would not crank and threw up a CEL. It sounded like it was trying to turn over but it would not. Hoping it was just the starter, I took the vehicle to the local indy guys in Berkeley (Bavarian Professionals. Awesome fellas!) to get the battery registered and problem diagnosed. They determined that the engine was seized and that the replacement would cost about $11,000. Haha, not this guy!

The following day, I stopped by the local dealer (Weatherford, Berkeley) to see what repair options I have available, if any. The service advisor (Jessica) was awesome and gave me the skinny. Apparently the N63 engine in the 2013 X5 50i's have a valve stem problem (I had known about this for a while, $2000 repair!) among many others which were addressed by the N63 Customer Care Package (CCP). When I explained my issues, she immediately knew what was going on. She told me the same thing others on this forum were told; that the car would need an engine replacement and that is would be replaced free of charge; that it would probably be in the shop until at least the end of the year waiting on engines that are "infinitely on backorder"; that the engines are on back order due to a short supply of the parts necessary to correct the valve stem problem and that there are currently two other vehicles there in the same situation.

Yeah, it will be a pain in the ass to be without my vehicle for a while, but it's a win because the valve stem problem will be fixed free of charge and I'll be getting a next to new engine for a 5yo, high mileage X5.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #30
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I don't understand how the dealer is giving you a new engine. You have 120k miles are way out of warranty. The Bang class action settlement is out of your mileage as well.

Did you have an extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #31
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
They said Costco gas could be causing it because their premium gas is bad and that they combine unused gas from many tanks…blah blah blah. He advised me to run the car for 2 weeks with good gas from Chevron.

This is mostly true. No one fills premium at Costco. Everyone is a penny pincher

My X5 was running perfectly when one day on a long 200 mile drive I filled her up with premium gas from a shit hole gas station near I-76 NJ turnpike. Immediately I got sluggish acceleration and CEL and low power warning. Got it cleaned and DTML fuel pump replaced at a dealer.

Bad gas specially dodgy pumps with poor sales can screw up your high performance engines. Its ok for Toyotas and Kias.
I beg to disagree. I've been using COSTCO premium gas on my extensively modified GTR, when I'm not running E85, and Lexus GSF for years with absolutely no issues. The BMW line about "bad gas" causing drivetrain malfunctions and other issues is truly a cliche

Let's call a spade a spade. We love BMW's but let's not blame COSTCO gas when a Beemer is throwing a fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #32
cpr1969
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
2010 X5M  [0.00]
remanufactered n63

Took my X6 50i into Dealer Nov 2, 2018 for leaking crank case hoses, extended warranty item, they ended up doing the whole oil consumption test. They told me my vehicle quailfies and that it would be Jan or so to get reman engine and a turbo. SA stated that all the work will be done at warranty rate, plus these motors have dropped in price to a little over 3K from dealer. I do not know what it translates to in warranty price. I will be looking 30% or less at this point if you use the milage chart with the lawsuit information.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #33
ggduff
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport 50i

I read through all the complaints of the N63 engine in the class action suit. Apparently the engine overheats because of how it is designed. Does the replacement engine address any of these issues, or can I expect that it will be the exact same defective design as what I have?

I see that there have been some updates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63

Shouldn't I expect to have some of these updates applied to my new engine, as part of the class action settlement? If not, what's the point of it?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #34
biotechbadass
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 750i

I got my engine last week!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #35
shawn938
Rep

Wait what!?! How long did you have to wait for it? I've been waiting for 5 months now for a replacement engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #36
Steadyliving
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i / 2015 M5 (sold)

7.5 months and still waiting for an engine

I have a 2012 BMW 650i, which I purchased used from Momentum BMW in Houston, TX back in Dec 2017. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty for that "just in case" security since the car had roughly 54K miles on it. The car was driven for about 4K miles before I took it in for some service light issues I kept getting - drive train, tire pressure, etc. They tell me the oil gasket has to be replaced and perform that service. The very next day I get my car back and start to hear a odd ticking sound when decelerating, around 3000 RPMs. Over the next 2 days that sound grew in intensity and I decided to drive the car over to the dealership - by the time I pulled up to the dealership the car knock was so loud that the SA asked me to turn if off immediately. He grabbed a veteran tech and had me turn on the car, and he immediately asked me to turn it off. He was certain it was failed engine and required a replacement.

7.5 MONTHS LATER....

My car is still sitting in the shop. I have been making payments on the car loan and I still have no ETA on a replacement engine. I have escalated with BMW of NA and they claim that since my car was part of the class action lawsuit, I have no recourse for action and they cannot do anything outside of the court ordered reparations - as a result I just have to wait.

I have owned several of their cars over the years and even motorcycles. I've been a die hard BMW fan the majority of my life. The lack of communications from BMW on replacement engines is a clear example of how company failures extend beyond their piss-poor engineering on these motors.

I'm chucking the deuce on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #37
shawn938
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyliving View Post
I have a 2012 BMW 650i, which I purchased used from Momentum BMW in Houston, TX back in Dec 2017. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty for that "just in case" security since the car had roughly 54K miles on it. The car was driven for about 4K miles before I took it in for some service light issues I kept getting - drive train, tire pressure, etc. They tell me the oil gasket has to be replaced and perform that service. The very next day I get my car back and start to hear a odd ticking sound when decelerating, around 3000 RPMs. Over the next 2 days that sound grew in intensity and I decided to drive the car over to the dealership - by the time I pulled up to the dealership the car knock was so loud that the SA asked me to turn if off immediately. He grabbed a veteran tech and had me turn on the car, and he immediately asked me to turn it off. He was certain it was failed engine and required a replacement.

7.5 MONTHS LATER....

My car is still sitting in the shop. I have been making payments on the car loan and I still have no ETA on a replacement engine. I have escalated with BMW of NA and they claim that since my car was part of the class action lawsuit, I have no recourse for action and they cannot do anything outside of the court ordered reparations - as a result I just have to wait.

I have owned several of their cars over the years and even motorcycles. I've been a die hard BMW fan the majority of my life. The lack of communications from BMW on replacement engines is a clear example of how company failures extend beyond their piss-poor engineering on these motors.

I'm chucking the deuce on BMW.
Lol my car is at Momentum BMW as well for a replacement engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #38
shawn938
Rep

Spoke to a member of BMW Executive Customer Care and he said that they are aiming to get a batch in January which I find to be another lie. I have been waiting for 5 months now, I know some people that have been waiting longer but apparently there are loads of other people that have been waiting longer than 5 months who got the batch of replacement engines that they sent out this month. Honestly I don't even believe they sent out a batch this month after all the lies I have been told by BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #39
2012X5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

N63; Received Your Replacement Engine Yet?

I am waiting for a N63 engine replacement in a 2012 X5 50i in Seattle, WA.. They tell me February, 2019.

Has anyone received their replacement yet? Could you keep us all posted as to:

1. When received?
2. Year and Model
3. Geographic location of the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #40
Captbimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i Xdrive M Sport

Thumbs down N63 debacle - Gross negligence and incompetence with a splash of denial.

This seems to be the most up to date forum on these N63 disasters albeit I'm not a "X" owner. I'm a 2013 F10 owner new engine under CPO candidate (55k miles) and dropped off my car over 4 months ago. I've called BMW NA numerous times and nothing but excuses to contribute. I have nothing but utter disappointment with this brand. All pleaded ignorance. Nobody knows?? They are all full of it. I've been driving these cars for 20 years and never have I witnessed such incompetence. This car I purchased had 5500 miles and has been nothing but a knife in the side. New front Diff, rear output shaft seals, power steering pump, both oil pan gaskets, Cust care BS package and all the replacements that went along with that, New injectors, cold/hot mixing valve, multiple wheel bearings, Yada Yada Yada. Now an engine. QC has definitely declined over the years as these cars are undoubtedly disposable (I'm fortunate that my wife's 2012 X3 M Sport and my 2002 M Roadster which have 75000 and 120000 respectively operate well with very little issues). But I'm a BMW aficionado and I guess that's my fault as It's now become a love/hate relationship.

-pardon my rant...

I'd like to know if anyone has any solid information/updates on this merry-go-round.

Thanks to all and good luck!!

Last edited by Captbimmer; 12-29-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #41
shawn938
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012X5 View Post
I am waiting for a N63 engine replacement in a 2012 X5 50i in Seattle, WA.. They tell me February, 2019.

Has anyone received their replacement yet? Could you keep us all posted as to:

1. When received?
2. Year and Model
3. Geographic location of the dealership?
How long have you been waiting?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #42
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

N63 must be the most unreliable engine I've ever heard of. Makes my old N62 look like a toyota engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #43
shawn938
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower33 View Post
please who ever gets new information on the engine ETA, please let us know
My replacement engine came in on Tuesday after almost 8 months of waiting. My service advisor told me that BMW is only sending 2 replacement engines a month to every region.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #44
2012X5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

From Seattle

Still Engineless in Seattle!
Appreciate 0