XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Left Low beam Malfunction

Hi all. Just got that annoying error 'Left Low beam malfunction' when the light tries to turn on, usually when it's a bit dark out. I see that it is burnt out, both high beam and low beam, but daytime running lights are good. I just bought a new bulb and same thing. I guess I have to take the entire headlight assembly out to see if it is the module connected to the actual bulb then? Looks like a pain to do it. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

It is probably the ballast. Unfortunately it is under the light, so the best way to get to it is from underneath. The job involves pulling out the fender liner, which is held in with plastic rivets and screws, and dropping the small cooler on that side to get good access. Otherwise, you have to pull the whole bumper cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:55 AM   #3
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
It is probably the ballast. Unfortunately it is under the light, so the best way to get to it is from underneath. The job involves pulling out the fender liner, which is held in with plastic rivets and screws, and dropping the small cooler on that side to get good access. Otherwise, you have to pull the whole bumper cover.
Yeah, you're probably right. I tried a new light, and no luck. Saw some videos on it, looks like a bit of work...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

It really isn't too bad, just make sure that you have what you need ahead of time. Plastic rivetter with a selection of rivets was like $20 at Harbor Freight, and I believe the screws that hold the ballast on are a security type, so a set of those bits is good to have as well.
Other than that, a good jack and stands, and screwdrivers.
Appreciate 0