XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
rsinghal3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hard Vibration on cold start when idling

Posted on BimmerFest as well.

Hi all - new owner here of a 2012 x35i with 104k miles. Really enjoying the car but have one lingering issue.

After cold start and normal cold start procedures, once the idle drops the car vibrates like hell (coming from engine area). As soon as you touch the gas or start driving its completely smooth. When coming to stop line a second after stopping the vibration is back...so much so that the vibration shakes the rear tailgate pieces and makes a lot of noise. This usually will last for the first 10-15 minutes of driving until the car is completely warmed up. Oil is Liqui-Moly 5w40 with probably 4k miles on it.

Have no codes and even scanned it to see if there was something but no codes and all diagnostics look ok.

My first guess is the engine mounts or VANOS solenoids not working exactly right, but wanted to get some opinions before I try to troubleshoot in the next few days. As mentioned as soon as slight throttle is applied its extremely smooth again.

Any input is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
asdf4fdsa
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 e70 lci 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinghal3 View Post
Posted on BimmerFest as well.

Hi all - new owner here of a 2012 x35i with 104k miles. Really enjoying the car but have one lingering issue.

After cold start and normal cold start procedures, once the idle drops the car vibrates like hell (coming from engine area). As soon as you touch the gas or start driving its completely smooth. When coming to stop line a second after stopping the vibration is back...so much so that the vibration shakes the rear tailgate pieces and makes a lot of noise. This usually will last for the first 10-15 minutes of driving until the car is completely warmed up. Oil is Liqui-Moly 5w40 with probably 4k miles on it.

Have no codes and even scanned it to see if there was something but no codes and all diagnostics look ok.

My first guess is the engine mounts or VANOS solenoids not working exactly right, but wanted to get some opinions before I try to troubleshoot in the next few days. As mentioned as soon as slight throttle is applied its extremely smooth again.

Any input is much appreciated.
I experienced something similar when I first owned the car a few years ago. It turned out a vent hose (11127584128) was all shattered to pieces under the top cover (the hose was wrapped with some black electrical tape, so could have been a previous fix attempt). This causes a vacuum leak, and lets unmetered air into the intake system. The broken hose is a pretty common issue, maybe check there first.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
rsinghal3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

much appreciated on the reply. Had to travel after posting so hoping to tackle this week. Will check the hose first thing in the morning. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0